Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDUNE (1984) WIP's

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Always movin', hm?

Good luck about the house. :thumb:
  • monsoontidemonsoontide0 Posts: 0Member
    OK, have the computer set up again (Had to do a clean install of Windows on it too... Ugh!) but finally managed to get some more modeling done - Worked on Castle Caladan (seen briefly in the opening montage of planet Caladan, the shot has always bothered me as it cross-dissolves from a great shot of a real storm ravaged coastline into a shop of a very fake looking model cliff then again to one of the top of the model cliff with the castle on it.)
    Made a crappy cliff and rocks with ocean for it to sit on.
    Will post some pictures once the rendering has finished.
    OK, here's a render - bit plain and far away. I've just used proceedurals and some generic image maps on it so far, so it needs more work, but for now this is where it's at.
    I have still to model the far side of the castle, but I can't find any references that show that side.
    castlecaladan236renderqr1.th.jpg

I did a bit of photoshop work on the render to get more atmosphere in there. It's a bit over dramatic though. Probably would look more at home in a Hammer Horror film! LOL
    castlecaladan236vg9.th.jpg
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Here are some pics of the old Revell model, maybe it will help you a bit:
    https://spaceart.de/index.htm?/Artikel/du001.shtml
    Thanks. I already have all those though.
    OK.... I know I'm all over the place on this... (need to get some of these models actually finished), but here's a quick render of the start of the Emperor's Palace on Kaitain.
    imperialpalacebl4.th.jpg

Here's one of my reference shots to give you an idea of the whole thing.
    landsraadph4.th.jpg
    Quite matching, I'd say. :thumb:
    Managed to get a few minutes to finally do some more modeling on the palace... only had enough time to make the small tower. Also sneaked in some time to do the ornate stained glass frame for the windows of Castle Caladan.
    I have done the schematics for the main building of the palace but have no idea how I'm going to get part of it to work as I only have one decent reference pic of it and its got a lot of perspective in the shot. Guess I will find out when I start modeling it!
    imperialpalacewipjq6.th.jpg
  • GlazyGlazy333 Posts: 0Member
    I have this picture that may help. I think it's a scene cut from the film where the Palace is attacked by giants ! :)
    Thanks Glazy... but that's the very picture I am using!!! LOL
    I have a couple more but this one is the best overall view.
    Damn Giants are in the way of some of the detailing though! LOL

BTW, I've been inspired by the ALIENS Papercaft website to make a papercraft version of the Atreides Pistol as used worn by Paul and used by Duncan Idaho and Gurney Halleck (Just cos it's a really simple shape!!!). Almost done with it.
    Have the main building complete.
    Now I just have to do the "arch" that goes at the front and work on the positioning of the various towers relative to each other (I think they're a bit too close at the moment).
    imperialpalacedawnjq0.th.jpg

By the way, look like a BRAND NEW Dune movie is in the works...
    see this article here
  • JDRJDR0 Posts: 0Member
    Dune movie done properly = YAY!

Director in question and his body of work = Oh well, so much for them getting it right at last. :(
  • MauimanMauiman0 Posts: 4Member
    I absolutely dig this work. Me being a Dune fan absolutely does find this to be some eye candy. I also think that 4 disk mock up DVD set is a excellient idea.
    Damn... where does the time go?
    Real life intruded again and it's been some time since I have done ANY 3D work :(
    However, came across this project over on YouTube where someone has taken all the released versions and recut them to match the original David Lynch shooting script... it's quite interesting if you are outside the U.S. (Or use an ISP blocker/changer)
    DuneTheNovelCut

Going to have to get motivated to work on this again before that "new" version comes out... ugh.

Oh I did work more on the Emperor's Palace (All those little "steps" Drove Me CRAZY!) so I will post some more pix ASAP
    Here's some of the stuff I was working on a while ago...

Castle Caladan Model...
    castlecaladanrenderbr3.th.jpg

Castle Caladan Model with effects...
    castlecaladanstormpz1.th.jpg

Castle Caladan photoshop concept using stills from movie...
    caladancastlecomicflatex7.th.jpg

Planet Kaitain Original
    kaitainki2.th.jpg

Planet Kaitain new HD version...kaitainhdpy6.th.jpg

Finally some concept sketches over film stills for the sandworms internal superheated "furnace" as described in the book...
    sandwormfurnaceconceptpr4.th.jpg

I did make a quick and dirty worm model but I won't post it here as it's nasty... will have to take the time to make a really good one!
    "Furnace"?
    I really need to read the books....

It's very sweet work.
    I wonder, are you trying to remaster dune, or what? ;)
    I would LOVE to remaster Dune... but I don't think it's a project I could tackle alone!

Hmmmm yeah... for some reason I recall a description of the sandworms as having an internal "furnace" but I need to reread the book too! Maybe it's all in My head! LOL
  • GlazyGlazy333 Posts: 0Member
    I would LOVE to remaster Dune... but I don't think it's a project I could tackle alone!

Hmmmm yeah... for some reason I recall a description of the sandworms as having an internal "furnace" but I need to reread the book too! Maybe it's all in My head! LOL

I don't recall anything about an internal furnace in the Sandworms in Dune, unless that's something a game has invented !!??

Sadly we'll never see the true full version of David Lynch's film as he said he'd never go back to it, and he even said he seen it as a mistake in one interview I read with him !!
    Here's some VERY VERY VERY old tests I made... can't seem to find where I put all the new animations... (rebuilt the PC from scratch a while ago and lost all My extraneous data)

ORNITTHOPTER TESTS 2004
    that'S a sweet animation.

My best wishes that you might still find them.
    So I've started reworking the opening "Secret Report Within The Guild" section...
    The old one was kinda crap... the paintings look like paintings rather than actual planets... especially that zoom in to the planet Kaitain...
    Here's the original line up...
    dunemovieplanetsfh8.th.jpg

Then here are my new "concept" versions... these are done in photoshop and I'm currently working to try and recreate them in 3D in Lightwave to give them some much needed "depth"

Arrakis (Haven't yet finished the texture map for this one - it's based on Herbert's map in the book)
    arrakishdyf0.th.jpg

Caladan
    caladanhdmk8.th.jpg

Geidi Prime (Still wrestling with this one... not sure about the nebula. The old one looked uninhabitable.)
    geidiprimehdik8.th.jpg

and then Kaitain which I've posted before...
    kaitainhdpy6.th.jpg

I have the animation all set up, I just have to make the planets look good enough and make sure the animation is timed to the existing audio from the movie.
    Anyone got any hints for modeling/animating/lighting/rendering planets in 3D so they look great?
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Planetary Rings using Hypervoxels in Lightwave 7:
    Foundation 3D - Planetary Rings using Lightwave

Making planets using procedurals:
    Foundation 3D - Making Planets (using procedurals)
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    I really like the planets Arrakis and Geidi Prime, I think you have got the nebula just right, great job:thumb:
    The nebula might be right, but the planet itself does not look sinister enough... Not evil enough.
    So I've been tinkering away on the planets for a while and here is a short youtube version of the animation (My apologies as the sound was all jacked up by YouTube and you can't even see the stars). Will try and post a better version asap as well as some of the high res images...
    In the meanwhile, swiych your YouTube to WATCH IN HIGH QUALITY and enjoy...
    A SECRET REPORT WITHIN THE GUILD
    Nice work, only that background noice is a bit disturbing....
    Yeah... gonna fix that as soon as I can!
    OK, here it is again but WITH sound (instead of static!)
    Don't forget to watch with the HIGH QUALITY tag on - you can actually see the stars then!
    A SECRET REPORT WITHIN THE GUILD (with sound!)
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that looks really nice :thumb: The last shot is breathtaking :D
    Wonderful.
    Truly amazing, I love it!