Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Local TutorialWings 3d Tuts

2»

• OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    Ive seen them...

there are a few good ones, but there were a bunch that were really confusing.
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Ozylot wrote: »
    Ive seen them...

there are a few good ones, but there were a bunch that were really confusing.

Many of them use the 'advanced menus', and can get a little confusing, but they all have some great techniques in them.

PuzzledPaul is, in my mind the KING of all things Wings3d. ;)

Also, the thread on CGTalk has some great videos and tuts/links as well:
    CGTalk - Wings 3D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    limdaepl wrote: »
    Here's my contribution: Howto panel rounded surfaces without getting ugly mesh errors :)

1. extrude by desired panel height
    2. Select boundary edges
    3. Bevel boundary edges

I found that this approach works well for panels that have only convex corners, but it can produce shading problems on concave corners if the underlying surface is curved. So far, I think that the following procedure doesn't produce such problems:

1. extrude by half of the final panel height
    2. extrude by half of the final panel height again (or use bump?)
    3. Select boundary edges
    4. Do a Move...normal on the selected boundary edges, so that they move inwards by a small amount (how much? you decide!)

If you don't need panels with concave corners, then the original method is faster to set up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I have finally figured out how to do UV mapping in Wings. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

when I try to use "unfolding" I get "error: badarith" and when I use projection it works fin up until I try to refresh the texture after editing it in Photoshop. Then it says it can because "unsupported marker type 0x03" As far as I can tell I'm not doing anything wrong.

help?
  • MorpheusMorpheus0 Posts: 0Member
    Common error there if you export the texture as a JPEG format. Try exporting it with a different format, like TIFF or BMP, that should do the trick.

Wings3D doesn't like photoshop exported JPEG format for some reasons.
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    Very interesting... Ive never encountered that bug. (probably due to lack of texturing :shiner: ) BMP would be better quality anyway.