Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarTrek DS9

• gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    on second thought . . that book goes for $66.00 Canadian . . . my wife would frakin kill me . . . . I can hear her saying something like, "See if that book will put out for you!"
    or something along those lines . . . Oh Well . . I will have to wing it.
    gp
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    hmm scarce? I remember flicking through a copy in a bookshop years ago... didn't buy it though - oops :p
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    LOL, sounds like your wife has a great sense of humour. Anyway, I've got the book and I've got a lot of references I've collected over the years, so rather than just sitting on them I'll upload some files tomorrow. I'm just trying to get hold of some ftp details I lost so I can put them up.
    Pearse, you are the man . . . :D but my wife has no sence of humor, she would be totally serious when saying that . . :lol, jokes on me D'oh!

Martocticvs to bad you didn't buy the book then . . you could have scanned some images . . Oh Well, too bad I lost the original Black Covered Star Fleet Technical Manual . . . :( I got it back in 1976 at the Statler Hilton in New York . . it was one of the very first Star Trek convensions . . .

here is another quickie test . . .
    gp
  • 1of331of330 Posts: 0Member
    I think that this might help, screen caps

FileFactory.com - free file hosting

windows can be seen on pic 7
    ! o' 33 those shots were awesome . . thanks bro. You know if you scroll threw them fast theres a small fire fight going on . . . . :D

I did spot something that I thought was in contradictory or didn't make sence to me. I have looked at a lot of the screen shot of DS9 now and am "somewhat" familiar with the station, about 30% actuall, anyway . . in the set you gave me I saw shots of a section which I believe are the windows in question . . . anyway the position and content composition would suggest so. I posted the image #1.
    This looks like the windoes in question, and even though they are outside of a very large station they seem too small to coinside with the windows in image #2 which I also believe are the windows from the inside of the Habitat ring.

At first glance the scale seems to be WAY off, maybe I am missing something. because the inside shot of the window would suggest the window and the out cropping is as large as the level itself, but looking at it from the outside the windoe isn't that big. . .
    gp
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    That's because the set designers and model makers don't talk to each other on TV projects as a high level of accuracy isn't really required
    1of33 wrote: »
    windows can be seen on pic 7

Oppps sorry didn't see that ^, aint that just like me, clicking links without reading . . .

I know what you mean Spudmonkey, I know I use to communicate witht hte set designers I worked with, but that is because we worked hand in hand (lighting). Well if this is the terrain I have to be in I will work with it, though I am going to change the way the windows are set. The detail design is cool but the way they are placed in the side of the hull will need to be adjusted. I don't like the spacing and the layout, it's almost like they came and said . . "This looks like a good place to put a window."
    gp
    You know if you scroll threw them fast theres a small fire fight going on

yeh i know
    i took them from the dvd sets, thought that you might like that as you can see all of the new weapons that they had put on it
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    They'd also reuse quarters sets so there's no telling exactly where any particular quarters you see on screen are meant to be, unless they specifically say - and even then, as spudly says, its probably not much help anyway :p
    Gents . . after much study and long contemplation of the window issue, I decided togo with windows like these . . . I like them they look cool. It is a 33%-33%-33% compromise to what is on the model, screen shots, and what I want to make. Sorry to those who want this to look eggs-actlly like the series DS9, it's not possible, I am my own person, besides from the conflicting information, it seems they didn't decide on what she should look like so onward I go . . .
    gp

windw_test1a.jpg
    windw_test2.jpg
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    Fitting models in with "real" sets (oxymoron time ;)) is completely different to fitting in the lighting of a set with the set mate. The lighting people will have talked to the set designers as they have to, as you have said and are well aware of. The model makers work in isolation from everything except from their own leaders and the script. Often you will find inconsistencies in model shots too; an overall model will be made, but then close up shots of low or undetailed sections will be required for a plot point and so a new model will be made of just that area. If the size and orientation of the original area wouldn't work for the shot then the new model will be modeled to fit the script and not the overall model. Budgets are a wonderful thing to try to work within!

Edit: good timing on the post there ;) Best to go with what works for you in the end as the only person you really need to please on a personal model is yourself
    Definately true on that, Models and sets versus lighting and sets are as different as night and day, heck when they make models for film or screen, the basic "flyby" model could be riddled with errors, just on the count that it maybe on the screen for a portion of a second of which noone will see much, it's only us the model reproducers that pour over every inch of everything trying to exactly reproduce an item. . . . Anyway, onward and up.
    gp
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    my personally choice would be to make it exactly like what you are duplicating - you are duplicating the filming model, not the sets, so you should ignore that the sets don't match and make them the way they were built into the filming model

trek is notorious for interiors and exteriors not matching, if you changed everything to match then they wouldn't be the models we know and love
    There is some nostalgia to that . . . fair, If I build a model of the USS Constutution (Old Ironsides) I would want the ship to look like the old Gal no question. However I can get good images of Old Ironsides, I can sift through thousands of images, and even maybe Travel to The CharlesTown Pier and take pictures of my own for what I need . . ( 5 hour drive )

The rest is obvious I think, no need to say it . . . I want to stay as close to DS9 as possible, even with extra random details, but I aint gonna bend my head over someting I can't see when what I can see makes no sence to me.
    It's all good . . . :D
    gp
    I like the way that you have gone with the windows
    makes the model yours
    I think so but I did a render . . here we go, now they look just like the windows we are use to seeing . . :D

gp
    They look right to me, but then I guess I'm like most other people.. as long as they're a sort of oval shape, then they look right. I shouldn't think there are many people who could dispute your version. :)

Anyway, here are those references I mentioned. Turns out they're mostly screencaps, but there's a few other bits and bobs that you might not find online.

http://www.johnpearse.partsking.net/DS9refs.zip
    Pearse wrote: »
    I shouldn't think there are many people who could dispute your version.

Thanks for the link Pearse I will check those out in a few . . . I quoted what you said, trust me what I did is definately not what they have on the model or the CGI, lord knows what I did ain't right.
    In fact this is all I cold come up with in my limited skill level. I am sure if I had a dead on snap shot of those windows I could have done a good job but I didn't so this is what I have. I am almost sure that I will run into another part of the ship that I will have to "make up" as well.
    Anyway Update . . .

I did one hull section of windows and will start on another section now. I figured since you can only see 3 sections of the Habi Ring at one time 2 sections of different windows would be enough. Now all I need do is make up some more nurnie details for the nooks and crannies and this part of the Habi section will be done.
    So far I am over 400,000 polys the window sections alone are 21,000 and there are 12 of them . . . holycrap. I am going to guess and say this section will come close to 800,000 polys, the over all station may round out to 4 million . . . I don't know . . lets see what happens.

gp

windw_test3.jpg
    windw_test4.jpg
    Just checked out those images . . . dude, Oh . . man I was so close . . .
    Some nice window shots in there. I have a little cleaning to do, not much but a little clean up is in store. Good score Pearse, thanks bro :thumb:
    gp
    No probs, glad I could be of help. :)
  • CinnamonCinnamon331 Posts: 0Member
    IRML wrote: »
    trek is notorious for interiors and exteriors not matching, if you changed everything to match then they wouldn't be the models we know and love

Trek is hardly the only offender here... Star Wars is ust as bad - there's no way, for example, tha the interiors for the Falcon would EVER fit into that hull - particularly as she appears in ESB and RotJ. It's really fairly common to Science Fiction in general. The best answer I can suggest is to consider all your sources and take a consensus - You'll usually come out on top that way.

This is shaping up to be a lovely model - I'll be interested to see how you handle the rest of it, too.

Cheers!

-jaime
    Update . . .
    Ok so presented with some really good images from Pearse last night I decided to throw away 2 days work and start on new hull portals. below is an attached shot that clearly defines the exterior windows structure and layout.
    Actually this seems a lot easier that what I had been doing so I guess I am going to roll with this concept.

These 2 images are of the restored hull less the last attempt at windows, I see in the image that hull plating carries throughout this section so I am trying to see what works. Should the hull plating along the sides be this complicated or should I just follow the lines already provided by the mesh.
    Seeing how the windows will cover 40% will the extra cuts in the plating add detail to the design or distract?

gp

wall1.jpg
    wall2.jpg
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    Cinnamon wrote: »
    Trek is hardly the only offender here... Star Wars is ust as bad - there's no way, for example, tha the interiors for the Falcon would EVER fit into that hull - particularly as she appears in ESB and RotJ. It's really fairly common to Science Fiction in general.
    well I never once said trek was the only offender, but you've picked a bad example with star wars there - especially the falcon, because I've downloaded sean kennedy's falcon interior and fitted it into al3d's falcon with very little modification
    Looks like someone got the front page over at Lightwave Group well done mate
    IRML that's cool, you know . . it is only us carring on about these things. Hollywood doesn't spend this much effort on such details we all know it. So we can let implied text work here meaning obvious stuff we can save the extra key strokes explaining.

It is imposible for film and cgi to mix measurments exactly and stay on time and in budget, we all know it's not practicle. The good fortune you had with the Falcon fitting was a fluke, it just happened to work out that way. I wouldn't say Sean and Al sat down over coffee and discussed measurment, at least I hope they had other things to do with that time. One in a million I would say. But it's all cool . . . I got my windows now I'm gonna build 'em :D
    gp

what is it you say?
    gp . . .
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    woop woop

lookin real good.............

Wow . . totally wasn't expecting that . . . . . now there's pressure.
    gp
    Finished putting in the new monitor today, my wife looks at me and says "youre spoiled, . . you know that?" . . I told her I need what I need.
    gp