Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDr Who: Unit Valliant

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited November 2011 in Work in Progress #1
For those who don't watch Doctor Who, or missed the last 2 episodes, this is an Airborne Aircraft Carrier operated by Unit (United Nations Intelligence Taskforce)

Here are some screencaps:

th_11.png
th_8.png
th_6.png
th_4.png
th_1.png

There wasn't any shots from the top and bottom :(

I've started with the main runways and helicopter pads and added the two visible beams stretching the length of it.

I'd like to hear any comments or suggestions
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

• MrSlinksMrSlinks0 Posts: 0Member
    Oooh - good choice of model! Finally something other than a Tardis :)

Thats a good starting shape at the moment - you may need to make the helipads larger though. As for the underside it looks like it has a large rectangular section that is suspended by struts from the main runway platforms - there is also evidence in one of those images of a secondary platform layer between the two. Good luck!
  • LarsenLarsen171 Posts: 0Member
    Well I don't know anything about the series or the tech involved... But that thing is sexy as hell man... nice choice if I may say so:thumb:

I can't give you any pointers really since it's very early on, and fact is, you've seen this thing in action I havn't!

But very cool build man, keep it up:thumb:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Thanks guys :thumb:

i know about the platform slinks, its on the list :devil:
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Interesting.
    Why do I suddenly have to think of Captain Scarlet? ;)
  • TheGreatRajaTheGreatRaja171 Posts: 0Member
    My thoughts exactly :D
  • GlazyGlazy333 Posts: 0Member
    Here's a comparison with Captain Scarlet's Cloudbase from the new CG series.

Great work on your model so far.
    jmsprovan wrote: »
    There wasn't any shots from the top and bottom :(

Ask, and you shall recieve. :cool:

Posted onb that episodes "photos from filming" after the episode was broadcast. no idea how accurate they are, and also on the small side :(
    Glazy wrote: »

don't forget the sheild helicarrier as well!! :shiner:

maybe the Valiant is the first in the line of many flying aircraft carriers for UNIT?

Good work so far jmsprovan :thumb:
    Thanks man, that'll help me a lot:D

Personally I prefer the Cloudbase from the original Captain Scarlet. Beauty in simplicity.
  • Digital DaydreamDigital Daydream0 Posts: 0Member

firstly as not to confuse what i am refering to your unit mesh looks amazing

secondly i think the new cgi captain s cloud base is nowhere near as sexy looking as the old one from the puppet based version in fact i would say it looks like a floating junk yard
    thanks for the good comments guys, no progress since i posted it. ive just gotten a working copy of lightwave and i'm exploring it tonight. More Valliant tommorrow:thumb:
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Good luck with Lightwave! I couldn't find my way around it...
    heh i already knew how to use lightwave through the demo, i actually made an animation with it: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/27256-valkyrie-animation-wip.html

but anyway...

ive started again using the production image that Choo1701 provided me with, its help a Lot but it seems to be out of date as some parts are different from the screencaps although the basic shape is the same in both.

i've gotten the runways and the helipads the correct sizes and ive started to model the underside.

as ever comments and suggestions please
    more updates to end the day :)

I've completed the front

Modeled and Placed the engines

Added some detail between the areas (pipes, support beams so on...)

Added the buildings that are between the runways

Added the fuel Containers (not see able in the image)

Finished the lower Runway Pod

more tommorrow.... :thumb:
    That's looking really solid Aurora - nice work..
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    It's a nice 'Skybase' design. I thought Captain Scarlet when I watched it along with the scene changing music from Scarlet.
    update

i've modeled most of the ... err (i dont know what its called)

but anyway now thats done the basic model is done and now i move onto the detailing
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    jmsprovan wrote: »
    update

i've modeled most of the ... err
    Control tower.

Hi jmsprovan, i like Skybase it's coming along very nicely:thumb: good luck with the detailing.
    Hope to see more soon

I-D
    Do we have a shot that shows that tower as it is on the model as a whole? (rather than just a close up of the tower?) ;-)
    i will provide :thumb:
  • Robert HarrisonRobert Harrison1 Posts: 16Member
    I am glad your doing this, was hoping someone would (i wouldn't know where to start) very good thus far...
    :cool: thanks for all the good comments guys.

The modeling part isn't very hard because its not made up of very odd shapes.

The hardest bit will be UV mapping it, i can UV map but not very well... So if anyone wants to take it on.. hint hint :p
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    MrSlinks wrote: »
    Oooh - good choice of model! Finally something other than a Tardis :)

I agree. Bloody thing. Like a phone booth is hard to model.:devil:
  • dcbcreativedcbcreative0 Posts: 0Member
    Neato...
    Very neat - I like it a lot :) My only suggestion is to smooth those excess lines, and if you can spare the polies, use intersect with model to create non-intersecting geometry.

Are you going to UV map in Sketchup or another program? Iif you don't know how to do it in SU, PM me and I'll let you know, it's kind of weird so it took me awhile to figure it out. :)
  • Chris of EDFChris of EDF0 Posts: 0Member
    Yep makes me think of skybase a bit or manta base from skycaptain, but it does look good your doig a great job.
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, that's a Dr. Who ship? Everytime I hear Dr. Who, I think of a telephone booth.

Looking good so far.
  • I'm restarting work on this beast, starting with the engines:

i didn't like the ones on the pictures above so ive completely remodelled them

Textures will be coming soon :)
  • drago-musewenidrago-museweni171 Posts: 0Member
    The Valiant looks verry great, nice work :)
  • i will be returning to this shortly, there are some things to do with a mod i work on first :thumb: