Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Local TutorialModeling the Enterprise in Cinema 4D

2»

• spsmythspsmyth1 Posts: 0Member
    ???????

Something looks very, very wrong on that last picture. You shouldn't have a seam at the apex of the scalloped-out part of the hull curvature.

You are right Professor, I am working on it, and I hope to have a rev here in the next couple of days. The spline doesn't want to cooperate :lol:

Thanks for the help.
    scifieric wrote: »
    Yes, but the lower section is now much closer. If it was a tad smoother to transition it would be just about perfect!

That's quite a compliment coming from you scifieric, as I lurked on this board for a couple of weeks before posting. I honestly think you have done the most with the least (modeling a 1701 in TRUESPACE--egads man, get me the laudinum...) :thumb:

Yes, all transitions could be smoother, possibly because there are STILL TOO MANY POINTS in the spline.

I hope to have a final beta here in a few days.

Steve
    scifieric
    Still working on those splines, also working on a tutorial for the bridge and upper deck structure. Learning more all the time. Soon...

Steve
    Okay, here's the latest...

Dorsal

ph_top_prelim_2.jpg

Ventral

ph_bot_prelim_2.jpg

This spline based lathe brought to you by Adobe Illustrator. There are NO points in the "scalloped" areas in order to ease the transitions. Used the lower sensor from my other file, and threw all into one null for easier handling (called null "1701"). It is in a sky dome on a floor, but I did not add any shaders or materials to this example.

Any comments are welcome. Hopefully now I can get to the next step.

Steve
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Well, those are almost thumbnails but the look good!
    Sorry about the size. I am going a little bigger next time. I have been having some issues with Cinema 4D crashing on renders, hence the small size. Hopefully I have it fixed and will provide some bigger examples later tonite.

Steve
    Sorry for the delay between posts, I have upgraded to C4D 10 and I am getting around in there. Hopefully I will have more for you as I am just learning too.

Steve
    You can do it Steve!

I have the same sort of issues with TrueSpace 7.
  • dan1701adan1701a2 Posts: 0Member
    Well, I'm back...and after fighting with Blender (don't get me wrong, it's great for a free app, but it's like learning to drive with a side-stick controller instead of a steering wheel - while sitting sideways in the car), I've decided to give C4D another shot. After beating my head against Blender, I've actually discovered some different ways of doing things in C4D. For instance, I've discovered the joys of free-form distortion (FFD). Even though it can be a bit of a pain at times, it actually produces much cleaner (and quicker) results than trying to spline model or Boolean a structure (such as the B-C deck). Here are some thumbnails:

th_BigE5.jpg
    th_BigE4.jpg
    th_BigE3.jpg
    th_BigE2.jpg
    th_BigE.jpg

A few things I learned from my previous attempt:

1) I found it was easier to use the Alan Sinclair JPEGs and draw the shapes on top of them. In some cases, I used the Sinclair Illustrator files and manipulated them as needed, but for the larger shapes (like the saucer, the secondary hull, and the nacelles) it was easier to draw them.

2) It was easier to keep the windows as consistent sizes by drawing them (as rectangles and circles) then extrude them. I still had to do two Boolean functions, though - one to cut the holes in the hull (A subtract B) and one to create the windows (A intersect B).

3) FFD is a powerful tool - once you figure out how to do it.

I also used ScifiEric's tutorial on the bussard domes to create my bussards, but the lights inside don't seem bright enough. If I drop the transparency on the domes, though, too little color shows on the dome. Still have to work on that.

I also learned that, to keep polygon count down to a minimum, it helps to connect each of the shapes in the secondary hull (once you boil out the basic parts after you do your Boolean functions).

Perhaps once I get some time again, I'll continue my tutorial, but it may focus more on modeling in the windows and the markings. But it appears that my dockworkers are back on the job, and more efficient: It took me about half the time to do this model than it did to do the previous version. And that's starting from scratch.
    scifieric
    Wow, great job dan1701a! Thanks for the mention but there's no guarantee that my tutorial will work for C4D.

That looks great! I can't wait to see her textured.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Hi very nice work on the tutorial. Could you explain how you did the red/orange effects on the engines? :)
    ven1ce wrote: »
    Hi very nice work on the tutorial. Could you explain how you did the red/orange effects on the engines? :)
    Whose tutorial? Dan1701a or mine?
  • dan1701adan1701a2 Posts: 0Member
    scifieric wrote: »
    Whose tutorial? Dan1701a or mine?

Well, it was your tutorial on the bussards.:thumb:
    scifieric
    ven1ce wrote: »
    Well, it is a combination of things that I found through trial and error in TrueSpace. I animate the lights via textures. Then I animated the effect of the "vanes". This allowed me to use either my texture lights or actual lights with flares. Inside TrueSpace, if you put an object, no matter how thin, in front of a light source in TrueSpace ... no matter how large ... the light disappears. Not so with a texture. Finally, I animated all the flashes and spillage for the domes along with the "salmon" color of the domes.

Then I throw a VERY bright light on the dome itself and I get a marvelous bloom effect that highlights my animated textures.

Does that help?
    I get the Idea but not really how I could reproduce it in c4d :) I am so nooby in texturing :| Thx for the explanation but one of you explain how its done in c4d?
    scifieric
    LOL! Not me!
    http://www.alex.f2media.de/files/vfx/preview.mov

after 5 hours I came up with this :). Not exactly what I wanted but since it is only a comic animation this should do :)
    Nice effect!
    Dan,

I have to hand it to you. Your model looks fantastic. What version of C4D are you using, 9.7 or 10? I now have 10 and I am stalled in that I have to get a real job to supplement my school. I will be back, but I wish you would show us your technique for FFD on the B-C Deck. I tried it in 9 and I got a nice result, albeit crude.

Anyway, I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Steve
  • ghoyle1ghoyle10 Posts: 0Member
    dan1701a wrote: »
    Perhaps once I get some time again, I'll continue my tutorial, but it may focus more on modeling in the windows and the markings.

Hi Dan,
    Great tutorial! I was wondering if you had any more thoughts about modelling windows. You mentioned drawing circles and quares, then extruding them, I would like to know how you did this.

Thanks in advance,

Guy
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Just for future reference, since the thread has been dormant for five months, it would have been better to PM the author, rather than resurrect the thread.