Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DA universe or three or ten or... of SF props, set dressing, etc.

vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 266Member
edited December 2023 in Work in Progress #1
I need a week of just banging stuff out since the Merchantman ref blah has me wanting a short bit away from the ship work, so thinking of some semi-random props and set dressing from around a few universes. Likely not enough to do a thread dedicated to one show or film or etc etc... so will use this as a 'what strikes my fancy' group of objets and 'stuff'. Whatever I get done in a day of modeling, maybe some light texture or fx. Dunno yet ;-)

51pkariqg9r6.jpg

Exhibit A:

7vbmbzg95cmx.jpg
l4ib85kpt7iw.jpg

Post edited by vfxart on
Lizzy777rojrenevil_genius_180SCE2AuxashleytingerStarCruiserscifiericwibble

• JoeMcMullenJoeMcMullen80 Posts: 13Member
    I think I may have one of those stun guns when I was a kid; I think it even shot plastic discs, but I'm gonna go ahead and not trust that memory.
    scifieric
  • vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 266Member
    I think I may have one of those stun guns when I was a kid; I think it even shot plastic discs, but I'm gonna go ahead and not trust that memory.

The Jet Disc folks produced a Trek and a S1999 version of their disc gun, and their base gun was closer to a pistol version of the stun gun in a lot of ways, so no, you are probably not mis-remembering. There was also a 'saucer gun' that shot the tri-bladed rings up a decent height.
    JoeMcMullenscifieric
    Yesterday's low poly silliness...

In dropping these into Marmoset and along with what I saw in the above post, M acts oddly with some geo choices so want to look into that a bit. A decent enough distraction for a short while while getting other work together today. At some point I'll up-res these as well and give them some love.

z97suxgsoen9.jpg
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777scifiericMadKoiFishcaveat_imperator
    Today's fun, a bit of a dust-off and a lot of re-thinking.

Happy Star Wars Day a day early...

elgz5ftkixf5.jpg
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777scifiericpubliusrcaveat_imperatorwibble
    Oh it's a fun day of extracting masks here at Chez Me... got a couple more 'not a spaceship' bits built (though technically ok yeah one is for a ship) and want to jazz them up a bit before render/posting. Biiiiiiiig mistake ;-)
    scifieric
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    I absolutely LOVE your Laser and Comlink! The rest are excellent as well, but I see so few Space:1999 models!
    vfxartpubliusr
    edited May 2023 #8
    Forgot that this is a long weekend here in the US, and so have had to get up to other things and put some mat fun aside, but had to at least show one of the meshes from yesterday... ;-) An 'if you know, you know' on the source of classic Trek props. (The other from yesterday is another of Spock's toys-- well whoever needed to be doing some engineery sciency testy stuff I suppose... more on that soon)

vgsq6lgvczmj.jpg
    x9sxoeln6zhp.jpg
    ojy4m6h3eto8.jpg

Post edited by vfxart on
    publiusrLizzy777
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I used to have a tiny blue decoder disk
    Another of Spock/Scotty/whoever's toys, from last week. Quick and dirty in Marmoset. As with others, it'll get some up-res and texture love before long.

j1gwcc08vdfz.jpg

evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777publiusrwibble
    Mirror Spock, 'Remember, this is for posterity, so be honest.'
    Re-prioritizing some revisits of old assets to upgrade them and get more work online... built out Paul's Season 1 desk today, his first keyboard, commlock holder, and the multi-purpose hatch of legend. Will need more love of course, but trying to get a day or so each on about 18 assets.

st2iw3gciavw.jpg
    650uos4vl2ou.jpg

publiusrStarriggerevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorwibble
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Very nice work!
    vfxart
    Got to jump onto the next update, so this quickie from yesterday...

ocx36qcxs9bm.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777wibble
    hz2ix4on7cs4.jpg
    jqbcbgb0vc2x.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777wibble
    edited December 2023 #16
    Tough nut to crack, the Graflex surface...

Have put this into a couple of environments in Painter, the metal just isn't there yet and it's hard to break down. The Graflex tubes show some surface... not dulling... not dust (though I dropped some on here as I don't want it new) ... but that interference of the reflection showing quickly in part because of how they were manufactured, and with just a bit of use... but just not quite there...

j2su41edq5w5.jpg

Maybe a touch closer...
    5fj3y7bnidae.jpg

Just a couple of other angles... stepping away from this for a bit to hit it with fresh eyes later.
    mghjesezre94.jpg

Post edited by vfxart on
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180wibbleLizzy777Starrigger
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Not bad at all. Looks like the saber as it appeared in The Force Awakens, at least as far as the bits on the saber are concerned. The material definitely has that "used" look to it that the SW universe is known for.
    Not bad at all. Looks like the saber as it appeared in The Force Awakens, at least as far as the bits on the saber are concerned. The material definitely has that "used" look to it that the SW universe is known for.

Thanks, this is one off the three from ESB. They started to show their wear and degrade on the surfaces with all of the handling kinda quickly, but ref is all over the map (I make little joke haha). Some times I think I want to leave the dust and dirt effect, others I think the metal alone (the way the brushed look shows at times) should do the work.

Working on a vignette from ESB, but will also show this on its own... and you know I'm pretty tired of my poor texture skills (as I see them) Want to get better there. ;-)
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    The materials look really good. The silvery parts look like mill finish aluminum that has started to get hazy, and the black looks like hard anodize that's had some weathering.
    vfxart
    It never ends... ;-)

These shapes...

ndsalgtfhje8.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777Starriggerwibble
    rojren wrote: »
    The materials look really good. The silvery parts look like mill finish aluminum that has started to get hazy, and the black looks like hard anodize that's had some weathering.

Thanks. I've got to adjust that hazy aspect... I think I should clean it up a touch and see what I can do to control some of the 'dust' sitting more in the brushed aspect of the aluminum... and a but less 'on the surface'. That might be rough, but worth the time if I can find it (self-imposed deadlines are still deadlines heh)

The grips are another matter... I want to 'de-age' those as well, but give it *some* life...
    I like the start on the helmet, even if it is a pain.
    vfxart wrote: »

Thanks, this is one off the three from ESB. They started to show their wear and degrade on the surfaces with all of the handling kinda quickly, but ref is all over the map (I make little joke haha). Some times I think I want to leave the dust and dirt effect, others I think the metal alone (the way the brushed look shows at times) should do the work.

Working on a vignette from ESB, but will also show this on its own... and you know I'm pretty tired of my poor texture skills (as I see them) Want to get better there. ;-)

Ah, I couldn't remember if there were any that used the "glass eye" in TESB. I know at least one had a red button in its place. I used to have a .pdf file with an analysis of all of the original trilogy hilts, but I think I lost that somewhere.
    edited December 2023 #23
    Modeling on the chest box is done, UV and material after a quick break. Helmet and blaster finish tomorrow...

k98jqm7fggy2.jpg
    Post edited by vfxart on
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777Starriggerwibble
    edited December 2023 #24
    Not pretty but will do for the render, UV and mats in a bit, then onto the interior elements... might be able to take some time to tighten up some proportions, get a couple of larger cuts for the grip attachment, but generally in good shape.

v796w3f537yy.jpg
    Post edited by vfxart on
    StarCruiserLizzy777evil_genius_180wibble
    Now to get the subtle color pops for the brass and muzzle, and likely show some of the wood underneath the grip finish, then art directing the history and a detail pass...

llzpoy2g8nr7.jpg
    Starriggerevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777wibble
    Ah, the trusty DL-44. I've always liked how Luke's version of the gun isn't a direct copy of Han's version. Very nicely done. :)
    vfxart
    They did share a different blaster bet. ESB scenes and Han again used it on Endor. This one though is the one Luke pulled on Yoda. So I'm kinda partial to it and the misnomered Greedo Killer.
    evil_genius_180
    I find it highly interesting to note different props that were used in different scenes (or episodes of TV shows.) I can tell you find it interesting too.
    edited December 2023 #29
    Got to move on to the next asset for this group. One or two small shapes to add to this tonight, update tomorrow.

xyi7a6smw6mt.jpg

Post edited by vfxart on
    StarCruiserpubliusrevil_genius_180Lizzy777Starriggerwibble
    I find it highly interesting to note different props that were used in different scenes (or episodes of TV shows.) I can tell you find it interesting too.

Mostly it's stuff that comes up in the research phase, what lets me distinguish some of the work that I do, even if it takes longer etc.

Everything I'm working on now is pretty much a last ditch effort to get work... if it doesn't work out, I'll end up leaving this behind. So hoping some of what I do is apparent to anyone who ends up looking etc.
    Hoth Medical Center start

2ybc2ixpz3n2.jpg

Lizzy777evil_genius_180StarCruisercaveat_imperatorStarriggerwibble