Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbackstept's Shipyards - Various WIPs

• backsteptbackstept2017 Posts: 918Member
    You can even go in-atmosphere!

Here's the plugin.

25mrwyu5cspe.png

rojrenevil_genius_180vfxartwibbleStarCruisercaveat_imperatorLizzy777wolfmanscifiericpubliusr
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Those look great. I'm tempted by that plugin.
    scifieric
    edited April 2023 #244
    It doesn't seem like they have procedural support for the planet texture yet. While experimenting with it I managed to find where to plug a procedural node group in and it sort of worked. But any adjustments to other parts of the plugin's planet shader options resets the node setup. Also, no clouds at the moment.
    Post edited by backstept on
    scifieric
    backstept wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like they have procedural support for the planet texture yet. While experimenting with it I managed to find where to plug a procedural node group in and it sort of worked. But any adjustments to other parts of the plugin's planet shader options resets the node setup. Also, no clouds at the moment.

Yeah, I saw it's still in Alpha, so it makes sense that it won't be fully featured. Still, the atmosphere and rings would be worth it, since the atmosphere looks better than what I've been able to do with nodes by following a tutorial and I've not been able to do rings yet. Besides, those features will obviously be added later, and there are always texture maps that can be downloaded and used. Do they let you know when there's a new version of the plugin available?
    scifieric
    I think there are a few ways of getting news of updates. Plugins can show an update is available in the preferences addon list, or the devs social media. PCO has a discord.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    You can even go in-atmosphere!

Here's the plugin.

25mrwyu5cspe.png

That pops!

Better than beige.
    scifieric
    Working on my own planet shaders. Using earth textures at the moment but I plan to make a decent procedural shader for the surface. Most tweaking is in the atmosphere.

48l99cussnuo.png
    StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorevil_genius_180wolfmanscifiericwibble
    Looks great. Planets are a tricky thing to model.
    scifieric
    3wuwgk6u6oh9.png
    StarCruiserashleytingerLizzy777caveat_imperatorevil_genius_180RekkertscifiericJESpubliusr
    edited May 2023 #251
    Bill Krause's Shangri-La
    Howard Day's orthos are a fantastic resource for this ship. He did an amazing job as usual.

9krj03va5q08.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerRekkertcaveat_imperatorscifiericLizzy777StarCruiserJESwibble
    Bill Krause's Shangri-La

I was going to ask what ship it was, but it turns out patience won the day. :lol:

It looks great so far.
    scifieric
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Just realized that you already have the shield grid built into the mesh...
    scifieric
    edited May 2023 #254
    Just realized that you already have the shield grid built into the mesh...

Just on the top of the saucer so far

c3v93m97atd6.png
    caveat_imperatorscifiericevil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruisertrekkiashleytingerJES
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice, will this be the 1701-G ?
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    lets hope not
    Mustang13Camaro68
    trekki wrote: »
    Very nice, will this be the 1701-G ?
    lets hope not

🤣 No I'll probably invent a name.
    scifieric
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    Bill Krause's Shangri-La
    Howard Day's orthos are a fantastic resource for this ship. He did an amazing job as usual.

9krj03va5q08.png

I'm quickly learning that a good set of orthos is worth it's weight in gold for more than just looking at. It just makes most of the modeling process go smoothly!
    scifieric
    JES wrote: »
    I'm quickly learning that a good set of orthos is worth it's weight in gold for more than just looking at. It just makes most of the modeling process go smoothly!

That's if you can find a good set that's preferably all the same scale, and the views aren't wildly disagreeing on what shape the thing is.
    scifieric
    JES wrote: »

That's if you can find a good set that's preferably all the same scale, and the views aren't wildly disagreeing on what shape the thing is.

That's a trick. Especially finding sets where the views match, or are at least close. :eyeroll:
    backsteptscifieric
    The other day I opened the Defiant I had started a while ago . . . learned a bunch since then, and also tried out a new paneling method on the warhead. It involves applying all the modifiers in the stack, deleting half the mesh, and adding a mirror modifier again. Then in this order: Edge Split, Solidify, and Bevel. Cut panels with Knife tool, mark those edges sharp, and boom, non-destructive panels that can be easily re-done or changed.

Not currently very visible since I haven't worked on the materials yet.zpimx97awrmh.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180StarCruiserJEScaveat_imperatorwibblescifiericBolianAdmiral
    better view of the panels
    ixjwoa31hmdl.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180StarCruiservfxartadjunct37betaJEScaveat_imperatorwibblescifiericCptBenSiskoand 1 other.
  • Admiral156Admiral156180 Posts: 76Member
    Thanks for the tutorials on the panel lines and registry!
    backsteptadjunct37betascifieric
    I love the start of the Defiant. It's one of my favorite ships. The paneling on the "head" looks fantastic.
    scifieric
  • vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 266Member
    better view of the panels
    ixjwoa31hmdl.png

How's the topology on the panels?
    scifieric
    vfxart wrote: »
    How's the topology on the panels?

Not awesome. 🤣 But good enough.
    I wasn't planning for this method when I started.
    Had to go around and nudge some near miss verts out of the influence of the bevel, but nothing that wrecks the surface too much
    scifieric
    Whipped up an ambient occlusion shader setup to make the panels pop. Needs tweaking.
    c13hsl7itwrq.png
    gskun4zdcddn.png
    StarCruiserSCE2Auxashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777caveat_imperatorwibblescifiericJES
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    The proportions and shapes look just right - the Defiant is very tough to get looking good, nice work!
    backsteptscifieric
    Our twins arrived on Monday! deatlwtp7xao.jpg
    SCE2AuxStarCruiserLizzy777wibbleraztovscifiericpubliusrRekkertLeoBerlinWarp Propulsion Laboratoryand 2 others.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Congratulations! I wish your family many nights of peaceful sleep. =)
    backsteptscifieric
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    Congratulations to you and your family! =)
    backsteptscifieric