Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Albacore, A ship based on the Ambassador Class

• publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Rugged and sleek at once—that’s rare!
  • shipfishershipfisher371 Posts: 115Member
    Love circular primary hulls. Late 24th century pointy 'saucers' are starting to wear thin on my conservative design sensibilities. Love circular deflector dishes too - recessing the dish in a slanted housing instead of slanting the dish itself looks functional and slick. Asymmetrical dishes have me wondering where the focal point is, should any applications still require one. Also love those linear, wrap-around bussard grilles. They also look more functional than domes. Loving this ship so far.
    publiusr
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Duuuude this is looking good.
  • JoeMcMullenJoeMcMullen80 Posts: 13Member
    I really like that deflector! (and the scoops, and the neck, and the and the and the)
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Man, I'm really liking this.
  • GidiotGidiot30 Posts: 9Member
    this thing is looking sweet! Love the updated look to this!
  • mishasiegfriedmishasiegfried149 Posts: 65Member
    Man, this is amazing. I love what you're doing with this.
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    Thanks for the positive feedback, I'm glad people are liking the direction so far. :)
    I've mostly been focusing on the engine struts, and general tidying up:

5fK8fTP.jpg

zQLfeFk.jpg
    Mustang13Camaro68rojrenevil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingercaveat_imperatortrekkiLizzy777PreVizwibbleand 1 other.
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    That's a fantastic mix of greebly detail and Starfleet smooth. Well done.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Can you post a wireframe view of the secondary hull please?
    It was started from a cilynder?
  • Admiral156Admiral156180 Posts: 76Member
    Magnificent!!!
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    How many tris are you at? I'm close to 9 million on my Sovereign, and I'm starting to get nervous that I might have to start pulling some subdivisions, or I won't have enough room for the details!

And Starship does ask a good question. Is the entire secondary hull one object (minus the details)? I'm starting to wonder if I should have make the front, middle, and/or fantail as separate objects. Maybe shorter objects means shorter subdivisions, which means less tris? The reason I've been avoiding this is because I have been unsuccessful in trying to get them to appear as a solid, smooth object.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    Ouch!
    edited May 2023 #76
    Starship wrote: »
    Can you post a wireframe view of the secondary hull please?
    It was started from a cilynder?

The wireframe is getting rather messy at this point, but still manageable for now:
    xjqzdU8.jpg

It was started as a tapered cylinder, which was then cut and booleaned into to produced the various shapes:
    W2pC7xM.jpg
    JES wrote: »
    How many tris are you at?
    lXOgibR.jpg

JES wrote: »
    Is the entire secondary hull one object (minus the details)?
    Currently my method is to break the mesh into many separate objects, it's just easier to think about that way. If I made this as more or less one object, I'd have to figure out where all the edgeloops were going. I'm a messy modeller as that above wireframe shows, compared to what professional vfx studio artists produce, (check out the efficient SNW Enterprise wireframes that are floating around online) so separate pieces keeps things from getting too out of hand. This ID pass shows the various pieces in different colours:
    Yw5NpBm.jpg

Post edited by SCE2Aux on
    trekkiBolianAdmirallennier1JEScaveat_imperatorLizzy777Dennis Baileywibblesrspicer
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    What a clean mesh, nice! 👍
  • Admiral156Admiral156180 Posts: 76Member
    GOOD LORD, That mesh looks amazing!!!
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    This is coming along really nicely.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    SCE2Aux wrote: »

The wireframe is getting rather messy at this point, but still manageable for now:

It was started as a tapered cylinder, which was then cut and booleaned into to produced the various shapes.

Uau! The wire is dense! But beautifull B)
    Thank you for the detailled explanation and images!

• DaringerDaringer331 Posts: 5Member
    all i can say is WOW! that is looking fantastic.
    I've been posting to the discord, but also want to keep this thread up to date with the model's progress:
    SoFFAKI.jpg
    Lizzy777rojrenStarCruisercaveat_imperatorevil_genius_180trekkipubliusrStarshipwibblesrspicer
    I wasn't quite happy with some of the smaller details on the model; the greebly things on the pylons I've remodelled again, and some of the panels have been realigned to look a little more cohesive. Now just working out the greeblies along the spine and onto the impulse engines:

FBotEMe.jpg
    7mcGPJg.jpg
    g7VsG2s.jpg

Nearly there on the secondary hull. It's been a long road...
    evil_genius_180rojrenStarCruiserashleytingerMadKoiFishLizzy777caveat_imperatortrekkiwibble
  • dcomprimedcomprime195 Posts: 123Member
    what kind of lighting are you using.?
    Nothing too elaborate at this stage - a Corona Sun as the spotlight, and a desaturated Corona Sky for the fill.
    I rejigged a few things, but I think I'm quite pleased with the look of the spine now:
    MmIgwHZ.jpg
    evil_genius_180rojrenStarCruisertrekkiashleytingerLizzy777caveat_imperatorMustang13Camaro68wibble
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The amount of detail you have packed into that secondary hull is insane.
    trekkipubliusr
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    Yeah it is! Awesome...really awesome work
    trekki
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Too often…not enough thought is put into the secondary hull…the saucer gets all the love.

This thing looks mean…
  • GidiotGidiot30 Posts: 9Member
    This mesh is looking awesome! I can't wait to how she shapes up.
    edited June 2023 #91
    I'm at the blocking out stage for the saucer. The diagrams I did back on page 1 have a sort of excelsior style impulse engine. I still like that idea because it conveys the idea of this ship being a technological half way point between that, and the Ambassador. However, when mocking up the shapes I felt that me just tacking an impulse engine onto the back lacked some visual drama, so I flared the impulse deck out, so the engines flank the main saucer superstructure. Still looks like Excelsior tech, but it's a more dramatic design feature now - much like they are on the original Excelsior model.

YuFR5Bq.jpg
    publiusr wrote: »

This thing looks mean…

I've been thinking about this too. A few people have commented about the ship starting to look rather angry hehe. I was intending to call this ship Adelie, after an Antarctic species of penguin that is famously rather fearless despite its diminutive size, but I don't think this ship has that kind of underdog vibe to it right now, so maybe USS Acheron? I'm looking for an 'A' name to evoke a sense of it being an Ambassador precursor.
    Post edited by SCE2Aux on
    evil_genius_180rojrenashleytingertrekkiLizzy777StarCruiserwibblecaveat_imperator