Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSurak w Warp Sled

vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 266Member
A few wip shots of the current labor of love hopeful portfolio piece, currently in UV and then materials soon.
bljk9phe1ayr.jpg
3s3n4cscnn2m.jpg
usdibi5xztvr.jpg
rhggdb6c8nis.jpg
wbk3yyl4fsde.jpg
8nnrp5szabmw.jpg

ashleytingerStarriggercaveat_imperatorStarCruiserLizzy777trekkiwibblewolfmanRekkertpubliusrand 2 others.
Tagged:

• StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Looks great!
    It´s rare to see the warp sled. B)
    vfxart
  • vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 266Member
    Starship wrote: »
    Looks great!
    It´s rare to see the warp sled. B)

Thank you. It's been fun, a couple of re-starts as I worked out the donor parts (and had to wait for the kits to arrive etc) and sussed out her dimensions a time or three, then off to the races. One of my three or four favorite ships of the film series. Also my first time back with Trek love in a while, so a lot to remember ;-)

Thanks again.

Starshipscifieric
    Today an old friend asked what I meant about some of the parts to acquire and model, so I sent him a shot of about 1/3 of what's on the ship.

2la7jbbtpl10.jpg
    StarshipLizzy777StarCruiserRekkertwibblescifieric
  • NayslayerNayslayer333 Posts: 57Member
    Really great work. Love the modeled model kit parts. I recognize some that were used on Star Wars models as well.
    vfxartscifieric
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Great work! Haha oh man those same greebles are on my bsg ships!
    scifieric
    japetus wrote: »
    Great work! Haha oh man those same greebles are on my bsg ships!

Oh yeah, I know alllll about them ;-)
    Thank you! Dig your work.
    japetus
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Really lovely. I built one almost 20 years ago. I often think I need to revisit it. A really unique design in Star Trek.
    scifieric
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    Before getting into her next steps, the paint job, I've got to review everything I think I've got nailed about this, so was doing some other shots for fun while trying not to stress over her (him?). Substance Designer and Painter await. So so many masks on top of the 40 or so graphics I've already created, and reproduced the font used for both Starfleet and Vulcan registries.

1rpxwhgkbkxw.jpg

ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorwibblexiaorobearscifiericRekkerttrekkisrspicerand 2 others.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Excellent work! It is a pleasure to watch as you advance.
    trekki
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Looks great! The little greebles and details really brings it to the life.
    scifieric
    edited October 2022 #12
    Thanks for the replies. 45 graphics so far, and just getting to the nacelles. More masks created for shape and placement, not color and material separation, pretty binary right now, then a second layer for the earlier paint job where it shows through, and much more... crazy times.

Post edited by vfxart on
    scifieric
    edited April 2023 #13
    For reasons (good, I assure you) I took V1 of this work and built a V2, which necessitated the building of a V3 for myself. I also got a new bit of ref from a long-established old-school model builder and in one shot was able to get enough insight to rebuild about 70% of the two elements (tightening up proportions, adjusting angles, etc). This became a nights/weekends project over the last 6 weeks or so. The ripple effect from that carried over to texture of course. The texture and material work is done, but updates in Unreal Engine and/or Octane/Unreal where I'd been finishing her off previously (and looking nice) have taken a complete crap on me, lots of functionality issues that I can't yet wrap my head around (if you've experienced it, drop me a note???). Frustrated doesn't even start to cover it. For now, some funky shots of the updated mesh. ;-)

/D
    3888ecdxzvnk.jpg
    0q32zw1mca26.jpg
    m9zdyj5zkh58.jpg

*Ah, heh, after a chat with someone who knows such things- you'd probably have to have renders of the two from the same angles and flip back and forth to pick up on most differences, we're talking about shifting things by mm in some areas, though to me of *course* they're obvious ;-) This is a 'real world scale' model, the shuttle is about a foot long, so 6mm is nearly 1/4" and yeah, that's perceivable. Those minor shifts begin to add up as they flow across a surface, dialing not only what looks right but *feels* right. Onward!

Post edited by vfxart on
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruisercaveat_imperatorLizzy777wibblescifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks great. I've always liked that design and you're doing a fantastic job on the model.
    vfxartscifieric
    u5dxe0v3dhsu.gif
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180scifieric
    I have to say that this just look gorgeous. I built one of these once. I'm afraid to go look at it now. Not. Worthy.
    vfxartscifiericpubliusr
    edited April 2023 #17
    Tallguy wrote: »
    I have to say that this just look gorgeous. I built one of these once. I'm afraid to go look at it now. Not. Worthy.

Thank you, I always try to push up against the edge of what is known and what I can find out about these ships... longer to solve maybe, but I hope they really evoke the feel as much as 'look like'... the accuracy is important to me. I hope that it gets across to viewers and especially other fans and pros.
    Post edited by vfxart on
    scifieric
    Does anyone know if the original model still exists?
    vfxartscifieric
    It does, but I don't pry...
    scifieric
    vfxart wrote: »
    It does, but I don't pry...
    You have it, don't you? ;)
    scifiericvfxart
    I wish. Based on a shot, she's showing a bit of age but has done reasonably well over the last 45 years... doubtful that a lot on her that is recent will turn up, which is a shame as she has some incredibly funky stuff going on.

My Unreal/Octane build that I had used for the Surak has gone completely sideways and I'm not getting any insight from Epic or OTOY, so will likely have to drop back to a basic UE scene build and then get images out here. That'll have to be from scratch, and I'm still moving between two vers of the SDT and the Merchantman is calling for some attention as well (another one with no ref worth a damn, esp before the hatchet job done on it)

Onward!
    edited April 2023 #22
    Rolling along. keeping a few inaccuracies as bits that were changed on the original during rework I kind of like.

72da82o6xd7n.jpg
    16q1qp3itakk.jpg

Post edited by vfxart on
    caveat_imperatorStarCruiserevil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777TallguyscifierictrekkiseanrSCE2Auxand 3 others.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    How about a smaller warp sled with Star Trek V type nacelles for a shorter range?
    scifieric
    Oooh I wondered if you were going to go with Probert's original pink. Good show!
    scifiericvfxart
    Tallguy wrote: »
    Oooh I wondered if you were going to go with Probert's original pink. Good show!

Thank you. Never a thought to do otherwise. ie that's her coloration, so yeah, that's been the goal. Damn tricky to get the proper balance. I may do a Starfleet version of the shuttle, but that has to be after a few more projects.
    scifieric
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    Pretty ship, (like everything built for TMP.) The model and texture look great!
    scifieric
    SCE2Aux wrote: »
    Pretty ship, (like everything built for TMP.) The model and texture look great!

Thanks- definitely one of my top 5 Trek ships. I need to learn and work on upping my texture and lighting game. I was in fabric/technical materials etc for so long, such a long while away from this sort of thing, and it's been tough to find great info and input on creating them.

scifieric
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I'm just now realizing that shuttle is probably where they got the color for the Vulcan ship in First Contact and Enterprise *head desk*
    vfxartevil_genius_180scifieric
    I'm just now realizing that shuttle is probably where they got the color for the Vulcan ship in First Contact and Enterprise *head desk*

There was direction given at the onset of the films that there is no blue on Vulcan, to paraphrase... that guided a few choices. (Look at Sarek's jewels and stones in his outfits, etc) Also, it was thought that the coloration, at least APs choices for this model, would look incredible when hit by Vulcan sunlight at certain times of day, all those intense reds etc...
    scifieric
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    vfxart wrote: »

There was direction given at the onset of the films that there is no blue on Vulcan, to paraphrase... that guided a few choices. (Look at Sarek's jewels and stones in his outfits, etc) Also, it was thought that the coloration, at least APs choices for this model, would look incredible when hit by Vulcan sunlight at certain times of day, all those intense reds etc...

Not only that but given the wear and tear on this shuttle, it'd have to have been in use for a number of years which puts the design into the end of the TOS era if it's newer, well depending on source. Interesting...
    scifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member

Damn. That never occurred to me, but it makes perfect sense.
    scifiericpubliusr