Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFranz Joseph Starfleet

124»

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I added a really basic interior. It's just boxes behind the windows with a couple procedurals mixed to make it look like there's something there. I've done interiors like this a lot in the past using Lightwave, and I'm happy that it works basically the same in Blender.

j93edixh43lw.jpg
    dswl8fap3twt.jpg
    iabodhz2d02e.jpg
    q0ufrhsmk5uw.jpg
    jcxkb2hn4mz0.jpg
    ashleytingerbacksteptStarCruisercaveat_imperatorrojrenscifiericLizzy777srspicerSCE2Auxwibble
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    As a lot of people probably know, Gene Roddenberry wanted to add a blue glow behind the inboard grilles on the nacelles for season 3, but it just wasn't in the budget.
    Of course the old girl was already in mothballs by then.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    edited April 2023 #94
    Tallguy wrote: »
    As a lot of people probably know, Gene Roddenberry wanted to add a blue glow behind the inboard grilles on the nacelles for season 3, but it just wasn't in the budget.

True. They didn't do any new shots of her in the third season. Weren't you the one who did the big study on the effects shots from TOS some years ago?
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    scifieric
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Tallguy wrote: »
    True. They didn't do any new shots of her in the third season. Weren't you the one who did the big study on the effects shots from TOS some years ago?

He absolutely did. It is marvelous!

http://www.trekplace.com/tosfxcatalog.html
    evil_genius_180
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    It is a shame that there wasn't a TOS season with lighted warp engines.
    She is looking great, well done!!
    evil_genius_180
    srspicer wrote: »
    It is a shame that there wasn't a TOS season with lighted warp engines.
    She is looking great, well done!!

Thanks! :)
    I'm done with the modeling on this ship.

e3jibbtf83cc.jpg
    g5oolt2wooxu.jpg
    tblfk0xzmuqc.jpg
    9oi95e4ivrbs.jpg
    ts4u1940v4vn.jpg
    qpyhepcywgg2.jpg

All that's left to do is maybe some more material work. I haven't decided exactly how I want to finish the materials. I may do some weathering on the ship. Space is mostly empty and the ship shouldn't really get dirty. However, at the same time, these ships spend 5 years out in space without many trips to starbases to get fixed up. And these ships intentionally go into areas where there's debris and other stuff that will impact the hull. So, it stands to reason that a bit of weathering could be warranted.
    StarCruisercaveat_imperatorrojrenLizzy777srspicerscifiericwibble
    edited April 2023 #99
    I added some registry lights. I didn't want to do as many as the TMP ship, so I only lit the saucer registries.

lqhnkvg0su8d.jpg
    9bn00t4zmd0a.jpg

I also changed the hull colors. I used the color picker in GIMP to select colors based on a screenshot from The Doomsday Machine with the original effects. I only did this for the hull and the gray, I did my own thing for the other colors. I figure it's close enough. As I said previously, I'm really only using what was available in the 1970s. While there was no color picker available, it's certainly possible to mix paints and compare the color to a still image. After that, I added a basic pass of "dirt" weathering using a procedural. I went pretty light on the hull, just enough to add a bit of color variation. However, I went heavier on the deflector dish.

0kct98amkjjc.jpg
    851mlaymo1x4.jpg
    8eddks2jqja5.jpg
    nm06dh9kmwhn.jpg

And, on that note, I'm officially calling this one done. Though I've started several of them in the past, I've never actually finished a starship model in Blender before.

n6dqk7k7u4vu.jpg
    iwl51kv9wjxb.jpg
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    StarCruisercaveat_imperatorLizzy777ashleytingerbacksteptsrspicerscifiericwibble
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    And, on that note, I'm officially calling this one done. Though I've started several of them in the past, I've never actually finished a starship model in Blender before.

Those are lovely words. Congratulations!
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    She looks really good.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    Thanks a lot, guys. B)

I did another name and registry for the model. I really wanted one named USS Heracles. So, I went with that and the registry NCC-1729. In the tech manual, NCC-1729 belongs to the "USS Farragut II." I think the idea was that the Farragut, mentioned in the episode "Obsession," was destroyed in the line of duty and it was replaced. However, there's no indication in that episode or in any other episode that the Farragut was destroyed. So, I swiped the registry.

mkfjxfp91bg1.png
    backsteptrojrenLizzy777ashleytingerStarCruisersrspicerSCE2Auxcaveat_imperatorscifiericwibbleand 2 others.
  • backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 919Member
    I think it came out great!
    evil_genius_180scifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I have seen two types of Dreadnoughts:
    One that Tallguy has done from the Manual—but there was a blueprint pack that used the type sensor domes you have here—that might be a good project
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    Whenever I get around to actually doing the Dreadought, these are the blueprints I'm going to use:

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/uss-federation-class-dreadnought.php
    StarCruiserscifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    That’s the one.
    scifieric
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Whenever I get around to actually doing the Dreadought, these are the blueprints I'm going to use:

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/uss-federation-class-dreadnought.php

Yep, those are the plans I would use. Nice!
    evil_genius_180
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Looks great. :)
    evil_genius_180
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    Looks great. :)

Thanks. :)