Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbackstept's Shipyards - Various WIPs

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looks great.

Every time I've done this kind of hull, I've gone to great lengths and personal pain to make it all one tidy piece. Upon reflection, I was like "why did I do that? I could have just stuck a piece back there that's flush to the hull and nobody would have been the wiser." :lol:
    backsteptscifieric
  • backsteptbackstept2017 Posts: 918Member
    Thanks!
    I did it this way because I knew I needed most of the saucer on the bottom side, but over a third of the top would be obscured, and I'd rather not have a whole saucer under there.
    gfx48zre6tjv.png
    evil_genius_180JESStarCruiserwibbleLizzy777scifiericCptBenSisko
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    Funny enough, I’ve restarted the Galaxy’s saucer section, because I’ve realized that the deflector grid isn’t uniform, and the curve going down the Y-axis is not the same as across port/starboard. I tried fixing it. I gave up after 4 hours!

Even the deflector grid doesn’t match dorsal to central, so if I can get away with making the dorsal, ventral, and side different objects, that’s what I might as well do.
    scifieric
    JES wrote: »
    Funny enough, I’ve restarted the Galaxy’s saucer section, because I’ve realized that the deflector grid isn’t uniform, and the curve going down the Y-axis is not the same as across port/starboard. I tried fixing it. I gave up after 4 hours!

Even the deflector grid doesn’t match dorsal to central, so if I can get away with making the dorsal, ventral, and side different objects, that’s what I might as well do.

In Object mode, select the object. In the 3D viewport, go to the Object menu, Apply sub-menu and select "Scale." A dialog box will appear with some check boxes. You don't have to do anything with that box, but once you go back to Edit mode, your grid will be uniform. I forgot to do this on a part I was building yesterday and was having that same issue. Then I remembered it and it was easy after that. :lol:
    JESscifieric

Yeah when I was building mine I noticed that if I extrude a circle from the rim of the saucer to the top following the oval grid lines, the radial lines didn't match up at all.
    JESscifieric
    I decided I would go a little more retro than TMP era and more of an AdmiralBuck's Tycho shipyards direction.

gxu30a8pbpdm.png
    8t1si0vnrrny.png
    [84twm5ummpl7.png

trekkievil_genius_180ashleytingerJEScaveat_imperatorStarCruiserLizzy777Mustang13Camaro68srspicerscifieric
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Nice ship, good start.
    scifieric

In Object mode, select the object. In the 3D viewport, go to the Object menu, Apply sub-menu and select "Scale." A dialog box will appear with some check boxes. You don't have to do anything with that box, but once you go back to Edit mode, your grid will be uniform. I forgot to do this on a part I was building yesterday and was having that same issue. Then I remembered it and it was easy after that. :lol:
    backstept wrote: »

Yeah when I was building mine I noticed that if I extrude a circle from the rim of the saucer to the top following the oval grid lines, the radial lines didn't match up at all.

Good advice guys...if the grid lines were proportional, and matched each other dorsal and ventral. Look at these images of the saucer section. r4ef8mzvmn0n.jpg
    w3ni9l1691i1.jpg

See how the deflector grid doesn't quite match the outline of the edge of the hull proportionally? And many of the grid sections are not the same size as the rest, especially the dorsal/starboard hull sections towards the X-axis center. Those are much thinner hull sections than the ones closer to the bow and aft. So if I want the model to be accurate, I have to factor that in. And the length and width of the hull panels aren't all the same on the fore half of the saucer as the hull sections towards the aft. It's a very ununiform arrangement.

And the edge of the grids where the meet the edge of the hull don't do so in the same place on the dorsal and ventral, but unless (and even if) you view it from the side, let alone try to model one using orthos, you'd never notice.
    StarCruiserscifieric
    Ah, the enlarged saucer from the crash scene in Generations. One thing to note about model references is that things are never the same from model to model. There are always differences.
    Mustang13Camaro68JESscifieric
    Gettin some greebles on cqpge4hdqn9m.png
    rojrenStarCruiservfxartevil_genius_180JESLizzy777wibblepubliusrscifiericCptBenSisko
    Ah, the enlarged saucer from the crash scene in Generations. One thing to note about model references is that things are never the same from model to model. There are always differences.

Yeah, well, I'm using Marc Bell's model as references. And I want to make it as accurate as possible, to avoid confusion later on, rather than scratching my head, wonder why almost nothing is matching up.

By the way, I've been trying to divide the Galaxy class into different objects, like the Miranda pictures above. The neck, for example, needs a bunch of tightly grouped vertices for the forward edge of the neck. But tightly grouped vertices don't work for the battle-bridge section's semicircle, so I started that over, and made it a separate object.

But I'm wondering how to get all of these sections lined up neatly, like on the Miranda's engineering section, and the top, bottom, and sides of the saucer section?

And I've also noticed how the sensor strips are a separate object as well.

And the progress on the Excelsior class is amazing. Not to sound like a broken record, but I'm in awe. I would be hard-pressed just to get the outline of the shapes done, let alone have time for the teal hull markings, not to mention details like the aft torpedo assembly.
    scifieric
    edited March 2023 #193
    Use a combination of shift-D to duplicate and P to separate a selection and if you're making new geometry, vertex snapping to ensure no gaps between objects.

[edit] not ctrl-P, just P . . . ctrl-p makes selected objects children of the active object
    Post edited by backstept on
    JESevil_genius_180scifieric
    Something a little different.
    Split this of from the other project. k96t06jdfgvq.png
    ashleytingerStarCruiserrojrenevil_genius_180srspicerLizzy777JEScaveat_imperatorpubliusrscifiericand 1 other.
    I like it. It looks like it could be your own Star Trek universe, or it could flex into either the Kelvin universe or the retconned TOS look. Though, more so the Kelvin universe because it's smoother than the retconned TOS look.
    scifieric
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Looks good! Belknap class is my favorite non-canon design.
    scifieric
    Giving my favorite Bill Krause design a try.

62yqpi2akzyw.png
    hv4rmui6er84.png
    Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserJEScaveat_imperatorRekkertpubliusrscifieric
    I've been wanting to do a try at the Essex class. (Including a refit version)

It's already a great design, and also a bit of a challenge to model I imagine.
    scifieric
    Got some more done on the Essex class.

tffj7rhhclc2.png
    tmlatfawdl9o.png
    xj4vxrsc0z7g.png
    5crfd65zcruw.png

StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777caveat_imperatorashleytingerJESscifiericLeoBerlin
    I'm a Constitution Class man.

jjtx1djci3a7.png
    ashleytingerStarCruisercaveat_imperatorpubliusrLizzy777JESevil_genius_180wibblescifieric
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    What a beauty.
    scifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Something a little different.
    Split this of from the other project. k96t06jdfgvq.png

Maybe a megaphaser on the bottom..just below the dish…to draw power.
    scifieric
    Quick question: how do you change the preview image for your thread?

The way I see it, my skills in Blender (such as they are) are better than when I first posted, and I’m hoping I’ll get more replies/advice if my improvements show in the preview image.
    scifieric
    It uses the first image in the first post of the thread. 👍
    JESscifieric
  • GidiotGidiot30 Posts: 9Member
    Gorgeous work!
    backsteptscifieric
    idwxuiwffslc.jpg
    JESevil_genius_180StarCruisercaveat_imperatorashleytingerwibbleLizzy777scifiericsrspicereagledocf15
    I'm a Constitution Class man.

jjtx1djci3a7.png

It's the best design. Original or refit, they're both gorgeous.
    scifiericpubliusreagledocf15
  • dcomprimedcomprime195 Posts: 123Member
    I have to ask, I'm still a beginner at 3D art...and I must ask, what shape do you use for the main drive section in the beginning?
    scifieric
    dcomprime wrote: »
    I have to ask, I'm still a beginner at 3D art...and I must ask, what shape do you use for the main drive section in the beginning?

For the Constitution class I used a circle. Others like the Essex I started with a plane or a cube.

First question I ask when starting a new model is 'what primitive is closest to the shape of the most prominent feature I'm trying to make?' so the secondary hull of the Constitution class starts as a circle and I extrude and scale it to shape. For the Essex I started with a cube and made loop cuts and moved vertices to fit the stretched hexagonal shape and extruded and scaled it to shape. I almost always start with a mirror modifier and subdivision surface modifier.
    scifieric
  • KirtemorKirtemor417 Posts: 97Member
    Got some more done on the Essex class.

tffj7rhhclc2.png
    tmlatfawdl9o.png
    xj4vxrsc0z7g.png
    5crfd65zcruw.png

This is awesome! Glad to see someone else trying their hand at her! Here's mine atm...
    iwzd9q6v2p7c.png
    backsteptStarCruisercaveat_imperatorLizzy777scifiericpubliusrBolianAdmiral
    edited March 2023 #211
    Nice!
    I heard that they looked at Endurance as a possible Titan-A before they went with an updated Shangri-la.
    It's becoming one is my favorites, because it's both retro and futuristic. It could easily be either late 23rd/early 24th century in trek's Lost Era or 25th century after the events of Picard.
    Post edited by backstept on
    scifieric