Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBSG Colonial Fleet

• japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Tallguy wrote: »
    Gorgeous. The only criticism I have (and I'm watching this on a phone so I may be getting it wrong) it's what I assume is meant to be the Cylon fleet swarming about. Imho it doesn't match the style or the scale and the only reason I mention it is because the rest of it is so impossibly good.

You have the speed right and the camera style right. All the kind of stuff that came built in with physical cameras and models. It looks so good!

Yeah I totally agree...after this render I learned a lot more about tyflow and while it is technically working, I dont like it either.
    Think I might make them attacking a large ship and have flashes and small explosion like in RotJ,b3frpleohl4n.jpg
    scifieric
    japetus wrote: »
    Tallguy wrote: »
    Gorgeous. The only criticism I have (and I'm watching this on a phone so I may be getting it wrong) it's what I assume is meant to be the Cylon fleet swarming about. Imho it doesn't match the style or the scale and the only reason I mention it is because the rest of it is so impossibly good.

You have the speed right and the camera style right. All the kind of stuff that came built in with physical cameras and models. It looks so good!

Yeah I totally agree...after this render I learned a lot more about tyflow and while it is technically working, I dont like it either.
    Think I might make them attacking a large ship and have flashes and small explosion like in RotJ,b3frpleohl4n.jpg

Less movement and much easier particle system
    scifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Ok I reuploaded the video with some features to make it harder for awful people to steal my video and post it as their own on facebook. If anyone sees someone named "Kevin Tenigkeit" posting CG work on Facebook, it's most likely stolen. He's posted at least 2 of my videos as his own, and a few other people from SFM too. Anyway, guess I gotta add watermarks and shit to my videos now. A few minor updates, but I gotta get started on that Galactica! :-D :-D

It's a shame what you have to do to keep your stuff from being stolen by uncreative a-holes.

I've never been much of an animator, but at the height of my CGI work (and motivation) I'd sometimes be searching for images online and see where someone had used my images with the credits removed. Or worse, I've seen where people posted my images with their own credits added, like they had anything to do with creating the image. :eyeroll: So, I can definitely relate. I still sometimes see some of my old stuff when I'm doing image searches, even though I don't even have any of that stuff anymore. Either intentionally or not so much it got deleted somewhere along the way. (I don't live in the past and usually hate my old stuff anyway)
    japetusscifiericLizzy777
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    I like to throw a very light (VERY hard to see) set of initials in the middle of my images, usually over a part of a model. If anyone blocks that, they block out a serious part of the image.

Then regular credits on the bottom of the image.

It's a shame we have to do stuff like that, but theft is RAMPANT.
    Lizzy777BolianAdmiral
    Light update, as sometimes happens with side projects, I had an idea of "Oh I should blow up one of my ships....not too hard..." which led to a massive deep dive into learning way more Tyflow and Phoenix...spending far too much time on this little part as I think of more little things to try...but I feel like i'm finally able to come up for air from it...hope to spot some sick explosions soon!
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    I can relate. I dove into exploding a ship years ago, and it's really involved.
    japetusscifieric
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68328 DetroitPosts: 156Member
    Just wanted to pop in and say how much I'm loving the BSG stuff you're creating!
    I saw the Unreal Engine test on your YouTube channel.
    I'm curious - Have you found the "real time" of Unreal worth moving models over from your 3d app?
    japetus
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
    Just wanted to pop in and say how much I'm loving the BSG stuff you're creating!
    I saw the Unreal Engine test on your YouTube channel.
    I'm curious - Have you found the "real time" of Unreal worth moving models over from your 3d app?

So far not yet, but I'm just scratching the surface so far. I think probably I'll stay in tradiational 3D since I also tend to do a bit of composting on my stuff...also Unreal, and other realtime engines take a lot of shortcuts to speed things up, so there's little weird glitches and such. But that being said, I'd still love to do things with my models in real time. I have a Viper cockpit that might need to go into it... :-D
    Mustang13Camaro68
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    My bad memory made me think all three were equidistant..but the bottom two engines really are far apart…
    edited February 2023 #251
    Almost forgot to post this here....major battle shot update! Lots of tyflow usage and Phoenix!

Also finally started a Cylon Raider which I'll need to eventually update the shot with!
    j9ivhqntj4dh.png
    Post edited by japetus on
    StarCruiserwibbleLizzy777caveat_imperatorsrspicerscifiericpubliusrNathan Rubric
  • vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 266Member
    Raiders are a lot of fun to detail :-) One day I'll revisit mine with what I've learned about them since this (15 years ago)

fsynhh02apyf.jpg
    StarCruiserscifiericLizzy777caveat_imperatorwolfman
    vfxart wrote: »
    Raiders are a lot of fun to detail :-) One day I'll revisit mine with what I've learned about them since this (15 years ago)

fsynhh02apyf.jpg

That looks pretty good! It's a tricky one
    scifieric
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    Sweet! I was hoping you would go vintage vs that new....thingy whatever it was
    scifieric
    Taking a little side trip putting my Viper mk2 cockpit into Unreal just to learn more... needs some optimizing for sure

1yjhzetxwbbc.png
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180wibblescifiericLizzy777caveat_imperatormylexJES
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    Why so rusty/dirty....even though old they would be taking care of their vipers
    scifiericJESTallguy
    EBOLII wrote: »

Cylons took their paint
    scifiericJES
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Nice vid!!
    EBOLII wrote: »

Honestly, I though there was puke all over the inside of the cockpit until I realized it was rust. :lol: I figured Starbuck and Apollo were training more recruits.
    scifieric
    Hey now, sometimes you gotta go in long missions...
    scifiericevil_genius_180
  • gmd3dgmd3d250 DublinPosts: 132Member
    amazing work..
    scifieric
    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
  • GateGirlGateGirl111 Richmond, NSW, AustraliaPosts: 58Member
    Okay, after seeing these images, I will not be posting my Colonial ships! Fabulous work! =)
    scifieric
    Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
    Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
    A dream from which — we pray to wake.
    A dream from which — we wake and go
    edited March 2023 #263
    GateGirl wrote: »
    Okay, after seeing these images, I will not be posting my Colonial ships! Fabulous work! =)

Please do post your work! DOesn't matter skill level...

Ok I've been busy with life and stuff, but finally sat down and blasted through some greebles and made some serious headway. The Raider is suprisingly tricky! Lots of odd angles and shapes... mostly the laser area and panels lines left to be done...
    ernzijv55d9b.jpg
    nc0vsgr6g4hh.jpg
    5nifrm2ehfz2.jpg
    Post edited by japetus on
    vfxarttrekkiwibbleLizzy777scifiericevil_genius_180ashleytingerMustang13Camaro68rojrenStarCruiserand 4 others.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Oh man, that is absolutely beautiful!
    Very nice greebleage. :+1:
    scifieric
    She looks great. If you want more fun... pfft- there's a very thin u-channel strip that runs around the edges between the upper and lower surface, and the pentagram emblems on the Raider are thin vinyl; you may want to get them in geo inst of the texture, just that bit of light kick on the edges. ;-) These might be pretty quick bang-for-buck add-ons. (there's also lighting underneath but it wasn't always on, though you can see the light positions)
    scifieric
    Raider getting very very close now! Had to make up a few areas slightly, might refine a few greebles more...but it's pretty much there except panel lines. Thinking I'll just paint those on, it's too exhausting to think of splitting my mesh into that many panels, at least for now. ANd I'm definitely trying to finish up some things.

z1l9o8vm9pfq.jpg
    xvj9vxksy54o.jpg
    tuues3509e2k.jpg
    zmxrmtox35hk.jpg

StarCruiserashleytingervfxartcaveat_imperatorrojrenevil_genius_180Nathan RubricLizzy777mylexwibble
    That's the stuff. ;-)
    japetus
    edited March 2023 #269
    That's looking awesome.

It's boggling to think how much detail they packed into these models. Especially given how fleetingly these ships appeared on screen and how much of the detail you actually saw.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    japetusashleytinger
  • GateGirlGateGirl111 Richmond, NSW, AustraliaPosts: 58Member
    GateGirl wrote: »

Please do post your work! DOesn't matter skill level...

Oh! Thank you and when I do so, I'll tag you :)
    japetus
    Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
    Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
    A dream from which — we pray to wake.
    A dream from which — we wake and go
    Think I finally finished my Raider! I bit the bullet and modeled the panel lines...that way texturing is that much easier! Hope to do it tomorrow, should be pretty easyvgezvu5pycut.jpg
    pf5003htb0nm.jpg
    hhoo59rx62ch.jpg
    2eiyezd9n1og.jpg
    cm6d5s6wpdo1.jpg
    rojrenwibbleStarCruiserevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorEddieLsrspicerbackstept