Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars projects thread

• REL777REL7770 Posts: 0Member
    Some excellent Star Wars reference here.

http://www.pinotblogger.com/star_wars_reference_photos/
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    al3d wrote:
    ther<s lot of references in books actually..as to the falcon, well..he can't realy add more then i did..i included them all..LOL

Yes, I think the terminal falcon mesh has been made :D.

As for references, I'm mainly working off this:
    http://www.steinschneider.com/props/star_wars/vader_tie/vader_tie_04.jpg

In other words, much of the detail on this part of the tie is mine (i.e. there's no second level of greeble under the grille on the studio model).

Some of the studio TIE models leave something to be desired, detail wise, I think. The fighter and the interceptor were quite detailed (though obviously not like the ISD), but the bomber and x1 models weren't quite so detailed. So I take the best-detailed sections of the best model as a baseline for detail, and whenever the studio model doesn't come up to par, I fill in until I'm happy with it. It helps once you have a critical mass of TIE components that you can play around with to supplement new detail for the unique spaces you need to work with.

Also there are parts of the models I just can't see due to lighting, focus of the refs, etc., so for those sections I can just go wild in :). I'm willing to bet the inset area on the studio model doesn't have as much greeble as I've crammed into it on my mesh.

There are some studio models I'll never practically be able to match, like the SSD and ISD, but on the scale of starfighters it's rather simple to make a cgi model more geometrically rich than the older physical one.
    Oh and that site is great rel, thanks :).
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    I always liked the grille type vents on the back of this craft - the pattern always reminded me of the lights on the interior walls of the death star.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, I think the terminal falcon mesh has been made :D.

As for references, I'm mainly working off this:
    http://www.steinschneider.com/props/star_wars/vader_tie/vader_tie_04.jpg

In other words, much of the detail on this part of the tie is mine (i.e. there's no second level of greeble under the grille on the studio model).

Some of the studio TIE models leave something to be desired, detail wise, I think. The fighter and the interceptor were quite detailed (though obviously not like the ISD), but the bomber and x1 models weren't quite so detailed. So I take the best-detailed sections of the best model as a baseline for detail, and whenever the studio model doesn't come up to par, I fill in until I'm happy with it. It helps once you have a critical mass of TIE components that you can play around with to supplement new detail for the unique spaces you need to work with.

Also there are parts of the models I just can't see due to lighting, focus of the refs, etc., so for those sections I can just go wild in :). I'm willing to bet the inset area on the studio model doesn't have as much greeble as I've crammed into it on my mesh.

There are some studio models I'll never practically be able to match, like the SSD and ISD, but on the scale of starfighters it's rather simple to make a cgi model more geometrically rich than the older physical one.

1) That's the first time I've ever heard someone say that ILM's models weren't detailed enough.:o To match them is one thing, to go beyond them is another thing altogether. Truly, Insane Detail.:cool:

2) You may not match the SSD, because the references just don't show all of the details, but I'd say you've matched the ISD. If not, you've come so close as to make no difference.
    Jedilaw wrote:
    1) That's the first time I've ever heard someone say that ILM's models weren't detailed enough.:o To match them is one thing, to go beyond them is another thing altogether. Truly, Insane Detail.:cool:

2) You may not match the SSD, because the references just don't show all of the details, but I'd say you've matched the ISD. If not, you've come so close as to make no difference.

Well they weren't shooting extreme close-ups with the fighters, otherwsie I'm sure they'd have detailed it more. And I, being the hobbyist, can spend time and "poly count" (either in real or cgi terms) in a way the deadlined professionals can't :).

Anyways, finished off most of the top detail panel, towards the cockpit. Moving slowly, but moving :)

3x.jpg
  • LarsenLarsen171 Posts: 0Member
    Absolutely incrediable:thumb:
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, that models are amazing :eek:

It has been said, but THE LEVEL OF DETAIL IS REALLY, TRULY INSANE!!!! :D

If ILM makes in the future a really high definition version of the Original Trilogy, in 3D or something, they would have to take your renders as reference :lol:

Oh, and I get a 404 error when trying to see your gallery in fractalsponge.net :(
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    http://www.fractalsponge.net/gallery/htm <-- Correct Gallery Link. :)

Fractal: luks amazin' m8- will u b releasin it 4 my fanfilm m8?

:shiner:
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Well, I think that the actual link is this

It works.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm thinking it's part of a B-Wing, but I've been wrong before.

How do you do your pipe work? Is it all renderable splines? It looks great, however you do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    That doesn't look like any B-wing I've seen, I really don't know what that's off.
    But it looks amazing :D
    How did you make the grill?
    The center engine of a Bespin Cloud Car?
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    Whatever it is, It looks amazing!
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Hey Ansel. :)

Hmmm- Imperial Shuttle of some type?
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    hmm ... I have no clue. looking at the greebles it is an imerial thingy, right?

Chris :)
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    ^ Hmmmm I have no Idea what the thing above is but I have to say I have always been a big fan of your work. Very inspiring! Cant wait to find out what it is. Thanks for bringing the Imperial fleet to life. I was just wondering..since you have created all these dead on replicas: what new imp craft if any do you have planned for the future? Glad to have you back.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    prfz00m wrote: »
    The center engine of a Bespin Cloud Car?

That's my guess as well but I'm not certain...
    Samurai wrote: »
    Hey Ansel. :)

Hmmm- Imperial Shuttle of some type?

In a sense ... related manufacturer :)

This one is going to be tough, since no one has has made a high-detail model of this (in 3d or otherwise) - so massive interpretation of ...blank space. horror vacui will get me on this if nothing else. That and I haven't opened max in a long time :P

The pipe work are all renderable splines - easiest way to do them. The trick is to imagine how they can twist through space as effectively as possible - it doesn't take many turns; a few already go a long way to make a piece of greeble look impossibly complex.
  • GlazyGlazy333 Posts: 0Member
    Is it part of Prince Xizor's 'Virago' spaceship from Shadows of the Empire ?
    So hard to concentrate on one thing, so I decided to rebuild parts of an old friend:

30.jpg
    31.jpg
    32.jpg
    33.jpg
    very clean modeling ... I have no clue who this old friend is ... but looks cool

• BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Good to see you back into the fray Ansel, .... Great stuff as usual ...

@ Chris:

Its part of a Droideka, the Rollerball Centry things from the Prequels ....

Jas
    Binkerman wrote: »

@ Chris:

Jas

thank you :)

• StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Incredible Details !!!!!!!!!!
    Actually I did most of it before, but I'm going back and redoing the constituent parts - more detail, cleaner geometry, better bevels etc.

So here's the neck joint:
    36.jpg
    Binkerman wrote: »

@ Chris:

Jas

How goes it binkerman? Is that beautiful AT-AT of yours done? :P
    looks like a great start! very clean aswell
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Wow! just some beautiful stuff there man!!! Love the renders and all the wires!!! More, more, we want more!!! :D

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  • George Mezori SCIFI 3DGeorge Mezori SCIFI 3D171 Posts: 0Member
    Been so long I forgot all about your destroyer droid. We were actually working on animating it years ago.