Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Nautilus

Admiral156Admiral156180 Posts: 76Member
edited April 2023 in Work in Progress #1
kliw92ah7yik.png

y1ops9d0psj4.png
qwen7eodzadl.png
gtvluanpyhun.png
50vyoibe0k4j.png
kz1n8yliq7zm.png
juenvgst42ax.png
62cp7sqxeiyj.png
6etc5dzyvbg4.png
mxafldne0l3w.png
4umf81t2nyjn.png
o2t30j33hzyl.png
l3boahq3uly9.png
6htk06l8j43c.png
r3fgsyrytzj9.png
ngdjcua9tpy1.png
ov92grcgfl9p.png
8pxaf3kktr2u.png
d6wslcddj5xh.png
x9ur4rqsfnxe.png
js1knqfvuk4r.png
rfwbnbe70g1j.png
xxj6tezglumk.png
fswd5xwe51p7.png
Post edited by Admiral156 on
evil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777wibbleJESscifiericCptBenSisko
Tagged:

• Admiral156Admiral156180 Posts: 76Member
    Hello, this is my ship, the U.S.S. Nautilus. It is my take on a phase ii/tmp era Connie (that gets me off the hook when everything isn't 100% accurate, lol). This is my first attempt at modeling a ship from scratch in Blender. I have been at it for about a week now and there is so much more to do. I would like to flesh out the interiors as much as possible. Interior layout is still being figured out, I started with Matt Jeffries deck plans, but found the warp core and engineering fit better using the TMP layout, Fortunately the decks are easy to move and size since I am using a Boolean to create them. Next up, I will need to model a modular corridor system (but I could get sidetracked and do something completely different).

Shuttle Model: RommyArts
    Scotty Model/: Raul Mamoru
    evil_genius_180scifiericCptBenSisko
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Very nice. It's always good to see Phase II getting some love. :)
    Admiral156scifiericCptBenSisko
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    Yes! The pumpkin warp bubbles! I love them so much. This is a great start on this version of the ship. so very cool.
    Admiral156scifieric
    3rdap3vgkmm3.png Got a start on my modular corridors, each one is a 1x1 blender cube.
    Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserwibbleJEScaveat_imperatorscifieric
    Yes! The pumpkin warp bubbles! I love them so much. This is a great start on this version of the ship. so very cool.

Thank you,
    scifieric
    Very nice. It's always good to see Phase II getting some love. :)

Thank you
  • GateGirlGateGirl111 Richmond, NSW, AustraliaPosts: 58Member
    Astounding work @Admiral156 , I can't wait to see the final version. :)
    Admiral156
    Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
    Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
    A dream from which — we pray to wake.
    A dream from which — we wake and go
    Got a start on Engineering.

y6c23w2swx7r.png
    o5ovbrlh8fja.png
    s7k2azxvd8ae.png
    28bv5yozehv1.png
    ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777wibbleevil_genius_180JEScaveat_imperatorCptBenSisko
    GateGirl wrote: »
    Astounding work @Admiral156 , I can't wait to see the final version. :)

thank you!
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    Okay I know this not not what this project is about, but I have to say it. I really like your Scotty stand-in.
    CptBenSisko
    That's looking great. I take it you're working from the few existing photos of the set, which is impressive.
    Loving that look
    Admiral156
    wibble wrote: »
    Okay I know this not not what this project is about, but I have to say it. I really like your Scotty stand-in.

The Scotty figure comes from Raul Mamoru's Travel Pod model, it is very helpful for figuring out scale. you can find it here:

https://trekmeshes.eu/download/detail/209

That's looking great. I take it you're working from the few existing photos of the set, which is impressive.

I also found some of the screen tests on youtube, as well as a floorplan from Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise. I did have to modify the foyer of the engine room to fit my modular corridor system.

evil_genius_180StarCruiserpubliusr
    Loving that look

Thank you, I have come across a good deal of your work while doing research for this project, you have been a great help.
    Nice! I didn't know any of those screen tests had surfaced. Though, that makes sense given our digital age and how people love sharing cool stuff that hasn't been seen before.
    Admiral156
    Some more updates, cargobay, shuttle bay, Botanical garden, and Impulse deck using a Probert concept sketch.8837ek5jccbf.png
    otasbpfzrfdm.png
    pou6rzssjp7j.png
    28j7gaarav11.png
    u0lxxn5qkc89.png
    0jsw2iu48926.png
    pfj41t6iyk07.png
    xkwvsaf2iqzh.png
    rjhlvi4mzrjf.png
    brcivbszhcjc.png
    td9l2dg6mb9p.png
    c59vi3jzg7bx.png
    q74lf6zkhn2u.png
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777wibblecaveat_imperator
    kq3dsixlhagb.png
    prqoxqtnzk7f.png
    wakhdup6lsb7.png
    a3z6gh3aomif.png
    ktuklaasz1hc.png
    zc7al169m5m2.png
    ecnmk5j9uh7f.png
    fmd4ky0u7nu7.png

Some more updates, deflector, hull markings (using mesh, probably way higher poly than it needs to be, lol) and shuttle bay doors.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruiserashleytingerwibblecaveat_imperatorCptBenSisko
    edited April 2023 #19
    Looking good. Unless you're thinking of a specific polygon budget, I wouldn't worry about anything being higher poly that it "needs" to be. It needs to be as high as you need it to be. ;)

Incidentally, I did a Phase II ship eons ago also called "USS Nautilus." But, I think my registry was NCC-1979. (the year I was born)
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    I did 1977 the year I was born, so much for originality, lol
    Nautilus Uniform Concepts: I started with Dope_Fish 's TMP uniform as a template for the female uniforms, then created the male variant from scratch in Affinity Designer, as with everything else in this post these are very much work in progress.

b9wgm6bfv37f.png
    vsw2r6qbv89l.png
    kzfdj3imbza5.png
    pzgui54iaveo.png
    avw7xg4b5pfd.png
    bauksvask04t.png
    okeinzfwuogt.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruiserashleytingerwibbleCptBenSisko
    I like the uniforms. A bit of TOS mixed with TMP. And they should be way more comfortable than the TMP uniforms, since they don't look like they have the strap that goes around the foot to keep the pants straight. (a lesson they didn't learn from when they did the TNG season 1-2 uniforms)

Are you thinking shoulder rank insignia, sleeve stripes or a mix of both like the did for TMP?
    Admiral156 wrote: »

Sometimes, you just pick a number that's easy to remember and the year you were born is an easy one. ;)
    I like the uniforms. A bit of TOS mixed with TMP. And they should be way more comfortable than the TMP uniforms, since they don't look like they have the strap that goes around the foot to keep the pants straight. (a lesson they didn't learn from when they did the TNG season 1-2 uniforms)

Are you thinking shoulder rank insignia, sleeve stripes or a mix of both like the did for TMP?

Sometimes, you just pick a number that's easy to remember and the year you were born is an easy one. ;)

Not sure, been having trouble getting the UV maps on the shoulders to line up easily, and I still don't fully understand how things like pins and badges work in DAZ studio. It's a bit different than building a starship. Also, things like pants and shoes depend on what I have in my asset library and a lot of that costs money, unless you are very good at modeling clothing, for example I need to find a much better shoe or boot for my Genesis8 males.
    I hear you on the assets. Sometimes, you have to go with what you have. Just the thought of modeling cloth makes me shiver.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Love the impulse choice
    Admiral156

Not sure, been having trouble getting the UV maps on the shoulders to line up easily, and I still don't fully understand how things like pins and badges work in DAZ studio. It's a bit different than building a starship. Also, things like pants and shoes depend on what I have in my asset library and a lot of that costs money, unless you are very good at modeling clothing, for example I need to find a much better shoe or boot for my Genesis8 males.

That's the issue I've had with using that particular mesh and texture set. It doesn't line up properly at all even when you line it up based off the underlying mesh with a template. It's kind of why I abandoned it and started working in Marvelous Designer to create a new TMP/Phase II uniform but I'm having very middling results. Those shoulders are a pain and so are getting the sleeve ranks to line up if you make new rank braids (at least on the TOS version)

Good luck! You've got a great base though!
    Admiral156
    publiusr wrote: »
    Love the impulse choice

Thank you, it's based off of Andrew Probert's concept sketches.

That's the issue I've had with using that particular mesh and texture set. It doesn't line up properly at all even when you line it up based off the underlying mesh with a template. It's kind of why I abandoned it and started working in Marvelous Designer to create a new TMP/Phase II uniform but I'm having very middling results. Those shoulders are a pain and so are getting the sleeve ranks to line up if you make new rank braids (at least on the TOS version)

Good luck! You've got a great base though!

Thank you!
    I'm thinking this might be good enough to be my first real render of the ship, even though she is still far from complete. What do you think?
    Orbital drydock by Bobovich designs.

4830nms1vb0u.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingerwibbleLizzy777caveat_imperatorpubliusrbacksteptCptBenSisko
    I have doubled the size of the structural supports since the last render. This render took about an hour in Cycles, Once the hull mesh is applied it will act as an occluder for the internal components and render times will be reduced (hopefully, lol).
    Orbital Drydock by: Bobovich Designs
    Workbee by: Raul Mamoru

vmo9dkm7dzml.png
    StarCruiserashleytingerLizzy777lennier1evil_genius_180caveat_imperatorpubliusrCptBenSisko
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Outstanding