Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Albacore, A ship based on the Ambassador Class

• trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Beautiful ship.
    The nacelle is super, I like it.
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    This could pass as the Renaissance Class
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    Experimenting with panel design. I want to maintain something of the raised look present in the Ambassador Class model, but toned it down a bit. Still got vents, thrusters and running lights to make before I consider this nacelle model finished.

3ILmSj6.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserJESLizzy777trekkicaveat_imperatorwibblepubliusrPreVizBolianAdmiraland 1 other.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Your work on this nacelle is nothing short of phenomenal. I absolutely love the detailing you've done on it. But then, given the other work you've shared with us, that's no surprise.
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    I could imagine that this was the standard nacelle design before the Ambassador’s wider units were modified for mass-production. I’m not sure I’m a fan of the grated look, over the standard clean look of most grills and collectors. But it is easy to imagine a practical use for them, most likely defense field emitters, similar to the ones mentioned in TWOK apparently protecting the bridge.

This is the sort of look I’ve been struggling to get! How do you get all of the different parts to look like they are bolted/welded together, as opposed to different parts trying to occupy the same space (and failing bizarrely at that!)?

So far, the best I could do is nudge things into place, often having to nudge vertices individually so they are practically right next to the object to be attached to (which often means an hour for each part, at least. Not counting it’s creation in the first place).
    Your work on this nacelle is nothing short of phenomenal. I absolutely love the detailing you've done on it. But then, given the other work you've shared with us, that's no surprise.

That's really nice of you to say, thank you!
    JES wrote: »
    I could imagine that this was the standard nacelle design before the Ambassador’s wider units were modified for mass-production. I’m not sure I’m a fan of the grated look, over the standard clean look of most grills and collectors. But it is easy to imagine a practical use for them, most likely defense field emitters, similar to the ones mentioned in TWOK apparently protecting the bridge.

This is the sort of look I’ve been struggling to get! How do you get all of the different parts to look like they are bolted/welded together, as opposed to different parts trying to occupy the same space (and failing bizarrely at that!)?

So far, the best I could do is nudge things into place, often having to nudge vertices individually so they are practically right next to the object to be attached to (which often means an hour for each part, at least. Not counting it’s creation in the first place).

I can imagine that adding the additional structure on the bussards and grilles wouldn't be entirely liked from all quarters. I do like ships that have a clean look, but I think I'm still in an old fashioned, nuts and bolts sort of mood hehe. I try to design my ships in a way that I can imagine they would be concievably be constructed in reality. That usually means lots of spars and struts embedded into the hull. I'm imagining the bussard, as I've modelled it, functions by letting gasses in through a series of pores located at the lattice intersections. It then gets concentrated in the collection loop, and then ducted into the interior of the nacelle.

In terms of modeling technique; the panels are separated pieces of geometry, that have been booleaned into the various segments. I then retopologize the segments so I can more easily edit the geometry. (In this case, insetting and extruding the edges of each panel.)
    JES
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    edited March 2023 #38
    SCE2Aux wrote: »

That's really nice of you to say, thank you!
    JES wrote: »

I can imagine that adding the additional structure on the bussards and grilles wouldn't be entirely liked from all quarters. I do like ships that have a clean look, but I think I'm still in an old fashioned, nuts and bolts sort of mood hehe. I try to design my ships in a way that I can imagine they would be concievably be constructed in reality. That usually means lots of spars and struts embedded into the hull. I'm imagining the bussard, as I've modelled it, functions by letting gasses in through a series of pores located at the lattice intersections. It then gets concentrated in the collection loop, and then ducted into the interior of the nacelle.

In terms of modeling technique; the panels are separated pieces of geometry, that have been booleaned into the various segments. I then retopologize the segments so I can more easily edit the geometry. (In this case, insetting and extruding the edges of each panel.)

I do think it WOULD look better with the clean look, but I have appreciation for designs that have a lot of thought put into them. If you wanted to go for a clean look, it could be that the pores are microscopic (and hence you can't see them). I think I remember reading somewhere that the bussard caps are semi-permeable, allowing gasses to penetrate, and not much of anything else (which is good, because you wouldn't want rocks traveling at millions of miles per hour to penetrate the only thing standing between you and getting trapped trillions of miles from the nearest habitable world.

But I love the thought that you put into designing this thus far, it does lend a more realistic feel, and it does you credit. And it is mind-blowing for a novice now that I've started modeling myself, looking all of those details, while I struggle just to get large parts to look the way I want! I often like to do the same thing with my designs, and try to assign functions to every part to make their presence justified, but as you know, modeling details in 3D is far different from drawing them in 2D!

I've only tried a boolean once (with mixed results), and don't even know what a retropologize is, but I imagine there must be a dozen tutorials on them. I think that trying a warp grille on my current Galaxy Mk-II should be a sufficient test subject, and I'm kind of excited to try it!

Edit: and the hull paneling just looks outstanding! It helps to add depth and scaling. How do you do that? Just extruding the edges outwards (I'm considering just that strategy for when I move onto the deflector grid)?
    Post edited by JES on
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    WOW!
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    That engine. Almost a Steampunk influence. Very nice to look at.
    That is very nice
  • Admiral156Admiral156180 Posts: 76Member
    Fantastic, Any chance of a closeup of the Bussard collector, or a look at the mesh for the nacelle?
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Love be the industrial look
    edited March 2023 #44
    Admiral156 wrote: »
    Fantastic, Any chance of a closeup of the Bussard collector, or a look at the mesh for the nacelle?

Here's a wireframe of the isolated bussard mesh:
    NXqOR8L.jpg

I've finished the nacelle model. Also been hacking up the low res mesh in order to find the best route forward (that mesh is now an ungodly mess of booleans!)
    The next step is to make the secondary hull, using this rough model as a guide but much, much neater.
    tmoviS7.jpg

Post edited by SCE2Aux on
    trekkiLizzy777StarCruiserashleytingerevil_genius_180publiusrrojrenwibblecaveat_imperatoradjunct37betaand 4 others.
    A good job and a great ship so far. :)
    If the rest of the model looks as good as that nacelle, it's going to be a stunningly beautiful ship.
    publiusr
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I love the torpedo bay
    Some secondary hull progress made over the past week, mostly concentrated on the deflector housing:

bCzYtok.jpg
    rojrenwibbleashleytingerLoopholeStarCruiserbacksteptcaveat_imperatorLizzy777japetusJESand 1 other.
    Further progress on the secondary hull structure:
    2Hf2vFc.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180wibblerojrenLizzy777japetusStarCruiserStarshipBolianAdmiralcaveat_imperatorand 3 others.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    is it wrong that i like it w/o any saucer? :-D
    edited March 2023 #51
    japetus wrote: »

I've thought the exact same thing! In fact if you flip the image upside down there's some similarities to an old runabout model I made:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8wJE6w

Edit - I think the fact that it kinda works without the saucer just re-enforces the notion that I should model this ship with saucer separation capability - I was on the fence about it before, but now I think I'll go for it.
    Post edited by SCE2Aux on
    evil_genius_180
  • eagledocf15eagledocf15357 Houston Texas Posts: 46Member
    I like it far better with the saucer, but a saucer separation would be interesting.
    I like it far better with the saucer, but a saucer separation would be interesting.

It's definitely going to get the saucer, but modeling a saucer separation feature will give me some interesting options for making renders.
    japetus wrote: »

Alas, a saucer is in progress ;)

pSEPH3q.jpg
    rojrencaveat_imperatorwibbleevil_genius_180StarCruiserLoopholeLizzy777trekkiBrandenberg
    I like that lip you have running around most of the edge of the underside.
    publiusr
    This is turning out fantastic! ....Well done....
    I like that lip you have running around most of the edge of the underside.

I must confess that that detail is accidental - it's the current junction between the low and high res meshes. However I think a small ridge around the edge of the saucer looks quite nice so I'll probably keep it, albeit a bit more refined.
    For some reason the neck has proved quite fiddly to get right, but it's starting to look like what I'm looking for. I've also started having a go at the deflector; at the moment I'm trying a translucent appearance, hopefully giving a little hint at the interior machinery.

IaOjknP.jpg
    StarCruiserLizzy777trekkievil_genius_180ashleytingercaveat_imperatorlewisnivenMustang13Camaro68LoopholeBrandenbergand 4 others.
    MAN!! Every post is better n better...well done!
    That all looks great, especially the deflector.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Awesome work. She's looking like a studio model.