Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStage 9 Corridors (Generations Lighting) + A Creative Challenge for LCARS Designers

tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
edited March 2023 in Work in Progress #1
ltybl9bdre7w.png
y5t6fnepi4o6.png

I posted this in the WIP section because my Stage 9 corridor complex is still a work in progress, technically...I've got the corridors re-built and better than ever, but I still have to build the other sets, including a fresh take on the turbolifts. But in the meantime, I wanted to let everyone see a snapshot of what they look like, since this time I've been able to accurately re-create the lighting scheme they used for Generations (still with a tweak here and there to suit my personal tastes, but still).

And I have a creative challenge for the folks that do LCARS: remember those small displays that were in the ceilings in TMP? They had little light patterns that would change every couple of seconds, but that I'm aware of those displays were never lit even once during TNG's run. My original corridor set didn't have those displays, but the new and improved version does, and it got me wondering: what might the Okudas have put together for those if there'd been money in the budget to have them lit?

My initial idea is something fairly simple, just a quick elbow graphic on the left and along the top, made in the TNG colors of course, which might display the time or some of Doug Trumbull's blinkies (in random order, not straight left-to-right or split from center). But then I remembered that @commandersozo and a few others around here were no slouches at putting together their own LCARS, so I wanted to see if anybody might have better ideas?

7252z9pc0xbt.png
Post edited by Guerrilla on
StarCruiserashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777Admiral156
Tagged:

• FANGsFANGs414 Posts: 79Member
    What about something like this?RDLHPRr.png
    StarCruiser
  • tnpir4002tnpir4002418 Posts: 1,277Member
    I like!
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    We only have a small few examples of those corridor displays being used in the show - so I would take inspiration from those.

03fuTvp.png
    bw5Ob7b.png
    StarCruiserBolianAdmiral
    I wasn't referring to the flat-panel wall displays--those were unique to TNG. What I'm talking about are the really small ones in the ceiling, visible in TMP with color patterns that changed every few seconds.
    BolianAdmiral
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    I don't think those things were ever lit in TNG, though I could be wrong. In the movies, they were just colored lightbulbs behind dark glass (or maybe plastic).
    seanr wrote: »
    I don't think those things were ever lit in TNG, though I could be wrong. In the movies, they were just colored lightbulbs behind dark glass (or maybe plastic).

Correct on both counts (my guess was always plastic given how they reflected the lights). They were never lit on TNG, and part of me wondered if the controls for them were even still hooked up after the sets were re-built for TNG.

I'm considering lighting them for Resurrection but I didn't really have any good ideas about what to light them with. It didn't seem right to do the same colored lights we saw in TMP/TWOK/TSFS, but I didn't have any ideas about what to do instead.
    @seanr would you be willing to let me use any of your old sets for Resurrection? I'm re-building basically all the sets from my old work back in the 2010s but if you have the TUC bridge or either of the TNG battle bridges built I could probably use those when the time comes.
    @Rekkert did you ever happen to build a Generations-style bridge? I'm getting ready to build one based on some blueprints I've come across but if you've already got one, would you be willing to let me use it? You'd be saving me a lot of work if so.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Those corridors are looking good, though a little dark if you're going for the Generations look.

As for the bridge, no I don't have one, and I'm afraid I wouldn't just send it to you if I did. I'm happy to provide feedback with a build though.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Those corridors are looking good, though a little dark if you're going for the Generations look.

The promo image was still being fine-tuned; I've actually lightened up the final version with standard lighting a little more. I like the VOY-style red alert though.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    As for the bridge, no I don't have one, and I'm afraid I wouldn't just send it to you if I did. I'm happy to provide feedback with a build though.

Thanks but I've already built the Generations bridge once:

9ua2o0ggwe3j.png

Unlike my Stage 8 and Stage 9 corridor complexes, this one actually does stand up to HD resolution, but I was working from the wrong floor plans and the dimensions aren't anywhere close to accurate. I'm going to fix that this time. If you don't have one you can share then I'll just do it myself the same way I did the first time.
    StarCruiserLizzy777
    I've also done a few other bridge sets:

f660irki3sz3.png
    dd6fncf3hfqn.png

The TUC bridge was more or less for fun when I was doing Specter and was never actually used (the helm/navigation console isn't even built out on the non-camera side), but the re-dress did appear as a stand-in for a proper Sovereign bridge at the end of Redemption (I didn't feel like building an actual Enterprise-E bridge so I took the shortcut I figured the actual producers would have). So I'm no stranger to building bridge sets.
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777Admiral156
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I really like the combination Sovereign/Galaxy/Constitution bridge.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    tnpir4002 wrote: »
    Thanks but I've already built the Generations bridge once:
    So I'm no stranger to building bridge sets.
    You misunderstood me, I am familiar with your work. What I meant is that I'm willing to give feedback like everyone else does on this forum, not to imply you need guidance. :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    edited March 2023 #15
    I wasn't referring to the flat-panel wall displays--those were unique to TNG. What I'm talking about are the really small ones in the ceiling, visible in TMP with color patterns that changed every few seconds.

Yea, but whatever the top things display should be in keeping with the wall panels.

I always thought they would be conditional. Like some kind of warning of any breaches or atmospheric issues. Errors in gravity plating. Warnings for forcefields or security issues, etc.

Also they may be part of the fire suppression systems or even security monitoring.

According to Mr Scott's Enterprise guide - they are part of the ODN system, so the blinkies could represent data transfers.
    QXchOJh.png

So ODN seems to be represented like this in LCARS, so maybe showing sections of this kind of graphic
    Wsut655.png

In London, some of our trains have a similar kind of top mounted information display, which is probably why I imagine them being conditional
    Yebr0i6.png
    9DMjbOG.png
    Post edited by mdta on
    That's a good idea; I'd never read Mr. Scott's guide, so this is good information. Thanks for this!
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Yeah, I was kind of thinking similar when it came to monitors in my own ships, I was thinking of airport/airplane monitors as a point of reference, putting up schedule information, distance travelled, ship layout and directions, etc. The train thing is cool, too (it's been a while since I rode the Underground, and I don't quite recall those screens).

In Mr Scott's guide, it says those blinkies on the ceiling show which department crewmember is in that bit of hall which seems... pointless.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member

Yeah, I don’t recall seeing those lit on TNG… with the POSSIBLE exception of the episode with the Bynars… MAYBE they were lit then, but I don’t think so.
    Yeah, I don’t recall seeing those lit on TNG… with the POSSIBLE exception of the episode with the Bynars… MAYBE they were lit then, but I don’t think so.

Nope, not lit in "11001001" either.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    The lights might have just burned out by TNG and no one ever bothered to replace them. But what's funny is that they seem like they have more of a function unlit than lit. Like you think it must be part of the air conditioning or something.