Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Models

• wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    Oh Okay, its much smaller than I thought.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Coming along well.

Thanks a lot. B)
    wibble wrote: »
    Oh Okay, its much smaller than I thought.

Yeah, it's only a little over 80m long. The Defiant is bigger. Hell, the Oberth class is bigger. :lol:
    scifieric
    Now this is a thing of beauty:

c53ugpfrybl8.jpg

I already had TMP in 4K because of them finally releasing the Director's Edition on Blu-Ray. I think regular Blu-Ray was an option, but seeing as I have a 4K TV and the Kelvin timeline movies in 4K as well, I decided to just get that. Then I saw that Star Trek VI was finally available in the Director's Cut, but only in 4K. Since it seemed stupid to only have those two of these six movies in 4K, I decided to upgrade the whole collection. :D
    scifieric
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    edited February 2023 #95
    I made new nacelle pylons to better suit my vision for this ship. The design is based on a ship I designed and built about 18 years ago, though I lacked the skill to do it justice at the time. Also, I was working in Truespace 2 at the time. :s

1orda6ffc7mi.jpg

zvv0s3bi90dy.jpg

ovx4mo60vyga.jpg

zlrgpfdzs1ac.jpg

So, I watched the first episode of Star Trek: Picard Season 3 last night. I really enjoyed it, another strong start for the season. Though, for me at least, Season 2 started strong, kind of went "meh" in the middle, but pulled it together for a decent ending.

However, one thing bugs me about newer Star Trek, and it's the ships. It's not the designs or weird crap like square nacelles in Discovery, it's the way they're built. Nothing really flows together in complex curves with most of the newer ships, like you used to get with Star Trek. Even the JJ Abrams reboot trilogy did this, particularly with the Enterprise, but with all of the other ships as well. Star Trek has always been known for its flowing, almost organic shapes to its ships. Even the early CGI designs seen in First Contact had this, particularly the Akira class, which was a favorite of designer Alex Jaeger, as well as the producers. So, it got more love. But, even the others had flowing, complex curves. You don't get that with most the newer Starfleet designs. There are a couple exceptions to this, but mostly it looks like they just tacked on bits together to make them look complex, but realistically they're more simple to build. I think that may be the idea, as it's likely a money and time saving thing.

I really like it when you make your own designs. And I'm really liking how this one is shaping up. I'll be paying attention to how you build this. I'm going to need it as I continue working in Blender myself!

Also, I've had the same problem with the newer Star Trek designs. It seems that they do improve slightly for each season, but more often than not appear to lack much thought into their design, especially the non-Federation designs, and this is especially endemic in SNW (what the f#$k are those Gorn ships supposed to be?!)

I've had this idea in mind of doing a redesign of the Inquiry class, but based off of HunterG's redesign, and perhaps QSD components for good measure (after a lot more practice with getting used to Blender of course).
    Post edited by JES on
    evil_genius_180Rory1707scifiericcaveat_imperator
    edited February 2023 #96
    Thanks a lot, @JES. As for the ship designs getting better with each season, I'd have agreed with Picard seasons 1-2, but not from 2-3. Season 2 gave us a bunch of Starfleet designs from Star Trek online in fleet, along with a few new ones. Most of them looked good and really what we'd expect Starfleet to look like in the early 25th century. However, the Titan from season 3 is a step in the wrong direction, in my opinion. Though, at least Crusher's ship is interesting looking. I never saw any Gorn on SNW, but I only saw a few episodes. I need to finish that series.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    scifieric
    edited February 2023 #97
    Continuing on. I added the rough shape for the bridge module. It takes inspiration from the TMP bridge module, but I made it elliptical, both to go with the saucer and to go with the era. Then it was adding more lines and other hull details.

wlxufshh25vd.jpg

tgl9qld3obhk.jpg

vp8izritphn1.jpg

I'm circling around the name USS Wasp for this ship. In the real world, the current USS Wasp is an amphibious assault carrier used by the US Marine Corps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wasp_(LHD-1)

Though, that's not the reason I chose the name. I chose it because wasps are small and so is my ship. :lol:
    scifiericwibbleLizzy777StarCruiserJEScaveat_imperator
    edited February 2023 #98
    I added a small shuttlebay to the back of the ship.

5syh0o5v7fhh.jpg

Realistically, this ship is tiny, so it probably doesn't carry more than one small shuttlepod.

I also added some escape pods and a name and registry to the front of the ship.

pe4w6asxnosr.jpg

The escape pods are designed after a schematic of the ones that John Eaves designed for First Contact. I wasn't sure on the exact size of the pods on the Enterprise-E, so I just guessed. I went with the same size of the Enterprise-D pods, which is about 3m. That seems to be consistent with the size on the Enterprise-E:

v6e3zt2dylb2.jpg

I'm using the windows as a rough estimate, but I'd guess about 3m. Oddly, the same style of pods are a lot smaller on the Rhode Island:

71hjcektkf1q.jpg

Again, using the windows to guesstimate, they look closer to 2m. But, just because they're the same style of pod doesn't mean they're the exact same design. I don't know if anything has ever been said about how many people these pods can hold, but the Enterprise-D pods were able to carry 6, according to the technical manual. For these pods, I'd say 3-4 at most because they have less internal space. My ship has 12 pods, which means 36 to 48 people could abandon ship, which is way more than my intended crew compliment, which is closer to 12-18 people.
    Rory1707Lizzy777StarCruiserJESscifiericwolfmanwibble
  • backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 919Member
    Wasp is looking neat! I'm glad you're giving blender a fair shot. I was hesitant for years. I went from truespace to max and tried blender but it was so different that it turned me off from just exploring it and trying things. Several years later I picked it back up and worked through scifieric's 1701 tutorial, and now it's been couple years I feel like I finally got the hang of it!

I've always like the idea of these small 'perimeter action' ships. The Wasp is barely bigger than a large shuttle!
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    backstept wrote: »
    Wasp is looking neat! I'm glad you're giving blender a fair shot. I was hesitant for years. I went from truespace to max and tried blender but it was so different that it turned me off from just exploring it and trying things. Several years later I picked it back up and worked through scifieric's 1701 tutorial, and now it's been couple years I feel like I finally got the hang of it!

I've always like the idea of these small 'perimeter action' ships. The Wasp is barely bigger than a large shuttle!

Thanks a lot, backstept. B)

I hear you on the software thing. I went from Truespace to Blender, then back to Truespace and finally to Lightwave. I like Lightwave, but Blender is the way to go for hobbyists like me. It's free and can run on pretty much any OS. Plus, it's got a powerful tool set.

After finish the modeling on this ship, I get the joys of figuring out texturing.
    scifieric
    Blender also shows no signs of losing steam. It gets better each year, or month even, since they're continually working on it. Truespace tried to become some sort of creative VR space, and Autodesk buys all their competition that they can and then sunsets their programs and crams the features into some stripped down cloud only subscription thing. Blender being open source keeps it from falling prey to the ol' capitalist revenue juice squeezer.

oh hey, I just remembered a good tip for edge slide. When you're sliding an edge or loop, E makes it even with the edges on either side instead of averaging between the two. F flips the side to be even with.

evil_genius_180scifieric
    Yeah, The Blender Foundation is a nonprofit. That really gives peace of mind. I'm sure there's no shortage of talented people who want to work on it. Thanks for the tip on edge slide. That info is sure to come in handy.
    scifieric
    Do you have a tutorial, resource, or can otherwise tell me how to texture the name/registry number?

Also, USS Wasp has been used in Beta Canon for Armada I and II.

If you’re feeling bilingual, might I suggest substituting for USS Vespa instead?
    evil_genius_180scifieric
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    So, yeah, it's been a while since I've visited here and the first thing I see is the thumbnail for the Wasp. Very nice design. Makes me want to dive into Blender since I don't have access to Max anymore and resurrect my Rapier.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    edited February 2023 #105
    JES wrote: »
    Do you have a tutorial, resource, or can otherwise tell me how to texture the name/registry number?

If you’re feeling bilingual, might I suggest substituting for USS Vespa instead?

To be fair, I didn't even do an alpha canon check for the name. When I was working on the ship the other day, I was watching/listening to the Smithsonian Channel series Air Warriors on Paramount+. The third episode is on the V-22 Osprey, which the Marine Corps worked hard to get into service, and several are carried by the real world USS Wasp. I thought the name was cool, so I ran with it. I usually at least check Memory Alpha and Memory Beta when choosing a name, but I just didn't care this time. It looks like the name was used for a Constitution class in the TOS Tech Manual, a Galaxy class in Starfleet Command III and a Defiant class in Armada and Armada II. But, I'm still using it.

No, I can't tell you how to texture the name and registry because it's not textured. I used the Text tool in Blender and the Shrinkwrap modifier to conform it to the hull. To assign different materials to the black lettering and red outlines, I separated the red outlines from the rest of the text and then attached them back to it as a child object.
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    So, yeah, it's been a while since I've visited here and the first thing I see is the thumbnail for the Wasp. Very nice design. Makes me want to dive into Blender since I don't have access to Max anymore and resurrect my Rapier.

Good to see you again, Schimpfy. You should definitely give Blender a go and resurrect that ship. I'd love to see it. :D
    scifieric

To be fair, I didn't even do an alpha canon check for the name. When I was working on the ship the other day, I was watching/listening to the Smithsonian Channel series Air Warriors on Paramount+. The third episode is on the V-22 Osprey, which the Marine Corps worked hard to get into service, and several are carried by the real world USS Wasp. I thought the name was cool, so I ran with it. I usually at least check Memory Alpha and Memory Beta when choosing a name, but I just didn't care this time. It looks like the name was used for a Constitution class in the TOS Tech Manual, a Galaxy class in Starfleet Command III and a Defiant class in Armada and Armada II. But, I'm still using it.

No, I can't tell you how to texture the name and registry because it's not textured. I used the Text tool in Blender and the Shrinkwrap modifier to conform it to the hull. To assign different materials to the black lettering and red outlines, I separated the red outlines from the rest of the text and then attached them back to it as a child object.

Thanks for telling me your method. I'm of roughly average intelligence, so should be able to roughly figure out what to do with enough research! ;)

I'm actually kind of surprised that you didn't save Wasp for a bigger ship, since she was also a carrier. But then, I guess you can always just redux things if you feel like it. That actually reminds me of this idea of a Galaxy class, but with Sovereign-type upgrades, that I have been just dying to do for a long time.
    evil_genius_180
    Yeah, I can always change the name later. Text is easy to do in Blender, as I'm sure you'll see. But, if you have any questions, you can always ask.
    JESscifieric
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Yeah… that’s a SMALL ship… not too much bigger than a runabout.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    It's significantly larger than a runabout. A Danube class is 23.1m long, 13.7m wide and 5.4m tall. My ship is 80.7m long, 55.4m wide and 17.7m tall. The Danube class is closer to the size of the bridge module, which is 20.6m long, 14.3m wide and 2.59m tall. So, while it's not a huge ship, it's still a good deal larger than a runabout.
    scifiericBolianAdmiral
    It's Tuesday, so the ship has torpedo launchers. ;) I also started working on the lower sensor array.

n8wfjxgwo5rj.jpg

I'm going to put the pulse phasers between the torpedo launchers and the outer walls of the cutout. I'm going to do some detailing in between them, including adding a tractor beam emitter there.
    Rory1707StarCruiserLizzy777JESwolfmanwibblescifieric
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Nifty little ship.

About the escape pods; have you thought of making the bridge module eject-able? That's always made sense to me as it is a module on most ships. Would also save room on a ship this size by not needing as many escape pods in the hull.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Nifty little ship.

About the escape pods; have you thought of making the bridge module eject-able? That's always made sense to me as it is a module on most ships. Would also save room on a ship this size by not needing as many escape pods in the hull.

Thanks. And yes, I definitely considered that. If memory serves, it's part of beta canon on most Starfleet ships anyway.
    scifieric
    It's Tuesday, so the ship has torpedo launchers. ;) I also started working on the lower sensor array.

n8wfjxgwo5rj.jpg

I'm going to put the pulse phasers between the torpedo launchers and the outer walls of the cutout. I'm going to do some detailing in between them, including adding a tractor beam emitter there.

I have been working nearly obsessively in Blender, and you're one of the reasons. You know that, right?

I really like the Wasp. She's like a chibi Nova! You could also put the pulse phasers on the nacelles or pylons. I think that they are supposed to be placed there so that they are closer to the warp plasma that they supposedly use for power.

Then again, I think that is just asking for a thermodynamic power feedback loop, and for that reason, I think that the Aventine's placement is safer (or is it, seeing as how it's sitting right under the torpedo magazine?)

I've noticed that you have different colors. Are they mostly the same object, or have to be a different object for each color?
    evil_genius_180Rory1707scifieric
    Thanks a lot, JES. I'm sure there's something to the warp plasma thing, but I tend to not like putting weapons on nacelles due to simply having too many 'splodey things in one spot. We'll just go with separate plasma lines feed the nacelles and phasers.
    I've noticed that you have different colors. Are they mostly the same object, or have to be a different object for each color?

Different object for each color. You can separate objects and apply different materials and then re-join them in Blender, but I think it acts funky if you do that. So, I just separated them and left them separated. The only other way to have multiple colors on one object is with textures. But, I'm not near the texturing phase yet.
    JESscifieric
    Thanks a lot, JES. I'm sure there's something to the warp plasma thing, but I tend to not like putting weapons on nacelles due to simply having too many 'splodey things in one spot. We'll just go with separate plasma lines feed the nacelles and phasers.

Different object for each color. You can separate objects and apply different materials and then re-join them in Blender, but I think it acts funky if you do that. So, I just separated them and left them separated. The only other way to have multiple colors on one object is with textures. But, I'm not near the texturing phase yet.

Probably safer that way, TBH.

I am so glad that I asked about how you color objects (and haven't reached that point yet)!!! I would have been unspeakably frustrated if I had found out! Hard to believe that even the bussard collectors and warp grilles are different objects too! I'll have to keep that in mind as I progress!
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    A single object can have as many materials as you want . Keep adding until you run out of RAM or get bored hahaha

I wouldn't recommend separating and joining to get the different materials. For the registry outline for instance, in Edit Mode, use L to select linked geometry. It'll grab whatever's under the mouse cursor. Then in the materials tab, choose your material and click Assign just under the material list. You can also use Select and Deselect to de/select by material.
    evil_genius_180JESscifieric
    backstept wrote: »
    A single object can have as many materials as you want . Keep adding until you run out of RAM or get bored hahaha

I wouldn't recommend separating and joining to get the different materials. For the registry outline for instance, in Edit Mode, use L to select linked geometry. It'll grab whatever's under the mouse cursor. Then in the materials tab, choose your material and click Assign just under the material list. You can also use Select and Deselect to de/select by material.

Oh, thanks for letting me know that. I asked about that on this very forum a few years ago, but I guess Blender didn't have that functionality yet. It's nice to know it does now. That's how I did things in Lightwave and even Truespace, because both would let you select faces and assign different materials to them.

I think that means I won't be texturing this ship. :lol:
    wibblescifieric
    I started building the Constitution class as it might have appeared on the "cancelled" series Star Trek: Phase II. (I put cancelled in quotes because the pilot for Phase II became Star Trek: The Motion Picture) I'm using the scant references available on the ship to sort of get as close to the intended look as possible. However, since Matt Jefferies never finished his design drawings and the model was never completed, there's quite a bit that's open to interpretation. I'm using the original Jefferies drawings that were cleaned up by Shaw a few years ago to get most of it at least similar to how he wanted it, but many of the views don't really match, so I'm mainly going by the side view. I also have the Phase II book by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens, which includes some pictures of the incomplete model under construction by Don Loos at Brick Price Movie Miniatures. And, just for fun, I have my Eaglemoss model of the Phase II Enterprise sitting on my desk behind my keyboard. ;)

n83ts0p197pi.jpg
    vjvxkl11mmsh.jpg
    mitahokrtwzr.jpg
    kgsg4r1lq8gg.jpg

Obviously, I'm still in the early phases here and there's still much to be done, but I do at least have all of the major components started.
    Rory1707backsteptashleytingerrojrenscifiericcaveat_imperatorLizzy777Admiral156
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    Nice start!
    scifiericevil_genius_180
    Rory1707 wrote: »
    Nice start!

Thanks. B)
    scifieric
    Phase II refit doesn't get enough attention!
    scifiericevil_genius_180Rory1707