Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbackstept's Shipyards - Various WIPs

• backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 918Member
    fooling around with a mech design. 3y923fnovr3q.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777scifiericJES
    The previous mech was hugely based on Armored Core V, this next one is based on a drawing I found on twitter.

zbdnzgjza8e9.png

And something is just starting over here :)

1ta83478e6tq.png
    scifiericJESStarCruiserRekkertevil_genius_180lewisnivenashleytingerLizzy777publiusrCptBenSisko
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Oh man. Khaaaaaaaaan!
    backstept
    I'm trying to figure out how best to blend the rear hull and saucer since I already have a full saucer. I think I'll take the nearest radial edge to the step up and delete everything in the wedge behind it, leaving the underside. Figure out where the tangent is for the side of the rear hull and extrude and get on with the jiggery pokery. The reference I have for the Miranda isn't as extensive as for the Constitution, but the common elements I already have, just need to figure out where the differences are in the saucer and nacelles
    scifieric
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    backstept wrote: »
    JES wrote: »
    I find it mindblowing that all of that, you did with only a few million polys. I have so much to learn.

Just got around to checking, my USS Lexington is 6,935,299 faces. Though most of that (4,190,259) is in the shrinkwrapped markings like the saucer registry, which I probably have subdivided far too much! I just wanted the registry to lay on the hull smoothly and conform to the panel lines. I think my next task will be to heavily optimize the registry.
    The ship itself is 2,745,040 faces.
    gpqgfjgena5i.png

I've been trying to optimize as I go. I remember what happened the last time I got to, what was it, 10 million faces? It slows things down, but not as much as the program becoming unresponsive.

Also still learning how to blend shapes together, which is why I haven't posted anything.
    backsteptscifieric
    What gave me the most slowdowns was nearly a dozen different boolean modifiers on the secondary hull which had a subd modifier to make it buttery smooth.
    scifieric
    93nruhy6ap7g.png
    ump3rbxoth16.png
    RekkertBolianAdmiralwibblescifiericashleytingerrojrenevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777trekkiand 1 other.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks great so far.

I've always enjoyed making that style of hull. :)
    scifieric
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    scifieric wrote: »
    Oh man. Khaaaaaaaaan!

Bozemaaaaaaaaaaan!
    scifieric
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    Saratogaaaaaa or maybe Soyuuuuuuuzzz!

9wey6kuzqrm7.png
    Rekkertevil_genius_180rojrenLizzy777scifiericStarCruiserwibbletrekkiJES
  • eagledocf15eagledocf15357 Houston Texas Posts: 46Member
    Reliant ! Nice Start
    scifiericbackstept
    More doodles! This time a rework of a previous design. Going for a 25th century cruiser. Playing around with pylons.

huk83htmhtuq.png
    nu0q61s9fgqr.png

I think I'm better working from reference, but I'm having fun with it.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruisertrekkiJESscifiericcool65caveat_imperatorpubliusr
    oee10tvi671g.png
    d5tppzs2a1r8.png
    evil_genius_180JESscifiericStarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorpubliusr
    oee10tvi671g.png
    d5tppzs2a1r8.png

That looks f***ing awesome. Like a reimagined Constitution refit.
    rojrenJESscifiericsrspicer

Thanks! Inspired by HunterG's Exeter but I did my own thing. 😊
    Calling it Lexington MKIII
    scifiericpubliusr

Thanks! Inspired by HunterG's Exeter but I did my own thing. 😊
    Calling it Lexington MKIII

I had a feeling it might have been based on his work, but I can already see differences. It definitely looks like a logical evolution of the Constitution class design for the 24th century.
    scifieric
    Can't really improve on perfection, though.
    a1bxy48rvv8s.png
    evil_genius_180rojrenscifiericStarCruiserLizzy777JESashleytingerwibble
    a1bxy48rvv8s.png

Not really. From the early design work done by Matt Jefferies and the finishing design work done by Andrew Probert to the excellently built and beautifully painted model, the Enterprise refit is just so well executed.
    backsteptscifiericStarCruisersrspicer
    I'm rendering a 450 frame ~18 second flyby and warp out with some very crude tng style effects minus the stretch.
    scifiericevil_genius_180
    edited March 2023 #171
    Gotta figure out compression settings and whatnot. Also for the next animation I plan to do post processing separately.

[Edit] actually I might not have to do that. I don't have other scene elements to composite in so I shouldn't have to post process after everything is rendered, I can just do it per frame, just with better export settings

Post edited by backstept on
    rojrenevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorLizzy777scifiericwibble
    Looks good. It's nice to see the navigational deflector lighting being done the way it was originally intended.
    backsteptscifieric
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    a1bxy48rvv8s.png

Isn't "perfection" subjective? That said, as great as a designer has Hunter is, I think that Probert's design is just the most balanced. Always worth a shot though.
    backsteptscifieric
    Looks good. It's nice to see the navigational deflector lighting being done the way it was originally intended.

I had it a little too saturated at the start, but yeah, even the later movies forgot it does that 🤣
    scifieric
    JES wrote: »

Isn't "perfection" subjective? That said, as great as a designer has Hunter is, I think that Probert's design is just the most balanced. Always worth a shot though.
    Oh it totally is.
    scifieric
    Still new at the whole animation thing hahaha
    Next time I'm going to render to image and then pack 'em into a video. Also, I used the vector blur node in the compositor which made the camera angle transitions all blurry. Oops.

evil_genius_180ashleytingercaveat_imperatorStarCruiserLizzy777scifiericRekkertwibble
    Animation is all about learning a whole new bag of tricks once you get started on it.

I had it a little too saturated at the start, but yeah, even the later movies forgot it does that 🤣

They forgot or didn't care. The impulse deflection crystal was also supposed to change colors depending on the speed the ship was going, but that was never shown on screen.
    scifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    edited March 2023 #178
    oee10tvi671g.png
    d5tppzs2a1r8.png

You captured the swan motif PERFECTLY.
    Maybe Abbe type impulse deck with torpedoes between the exhaust.

Try one with Titan-A’s cranked nacelle supports…but rising above the saucer?
    Post edited by publiusr on
    vyjapuj5msne.png
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777caveat_imperatorashleytingerwibblepubliusrscifieric
    Did you integrate the back part of the hull into the saucer or is it an add on part? Just curious. Either way, it looks great.
    It's an addon. I separated the upper and lower saucer and cut the wedge out of the top. Then I extruded everything a bit to get the shape (r/therestofthefuckingowl🤣) and made sure to snap the vertices to the existing mesh along the seam.

I'll try to remember to do an explanation that makes actual sense when I'm not so sleepy

Trying to get the impulse engine to look OK. qw3wepxul2tv.png
    StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorevil_genius_180ashleytingerwibblescifieric