Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DHello, i'm new here and this is my current WIP.

• DeantendoDeantendo172 Posts: 68Member
    Hmm, yeh. Something like that.

kfsa0klehb7h.png
    Lizzy777publiusr
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice job on the pylons and I like the deflector design so far.
    Deantendo
    Nice job on the pylons and I like the deflector design so far.

Most kind :)
    Rebuilding the engineering hull. Adding in the locks for saucer separation. Because... er... thematic accuracy?

pisjl4u467hi.png
    Lizzy777
    Nothing huge today. Just reworking the engineering hull, placing torpedo launchers, made an underslung support (wip) for the nacelles, and did some more work on the mission bay on top of the saucer.

9xf0plnr3z4o.png
    Lizzy777
    Progress is progressing. Gotta learn some UV jazz...

nd8mhdxyh82c.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180StarCruiser
    I like the new engineering hull and the self illumination looks great.
    I like the new engineering hull and the self illumination looks great.

Kind as ever! I must say; I didn't realise i wanted approval from Goku, but i like it!
    A slightly clearer view - currently ... arguing... with lights and rendering.

pgwgsj84gixd.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777
    Hm.. i think it's time to rebuild this from scratch and build with UVs in mind.
    Playing with spotlights, just a low-res viewport dynamic render, but i love the soft glows.

7g3f7wyz06te.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777
    Time for the 3rd re-design of this.. Now that i know i can do better in literally every way.

jkj0lprqei32.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777SCE2Aux
    Finally making some progress after MUCH struggling with bevels and hull geometry.

Still haven't finished.... any of it... but weapons are going on etc... just need to find a nice bare metal pbr

ph1ncra7e4gc.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruiser
    That's definitely your best version so far, IMHO.
    Deantendo
    That's definitely your best version so far, IMHO.

Most kind! My aim with this project is mostly about learning via my preferred medium of spaceships. I fully accept that i will repeatedly remake the design as i progress. Right now i'm mostly getting familiar with the basics before i make any real effort to learn beyond that point.
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 68Member
    The design is very unique - I would agree that your latest version is the best. I do like all of the nacelle designs you've shown so far though.
    Standing among giants
    Having a crazy, outlandish, frankly delusional idea...

Point defence.

Hear me out: Instead of allowing torpedoes to hit your shields or hull.... why not... not? Just have some of these small phaser emitters dotted around to provide coverage. Make them fast firing, they don't need much power, but they do need to target fast things. Hell; You could lift a bunch of phasers off a shuttle or something.

adn5yoinkh17.png
    What you can't see here is all the damn hours i've spent making recesses for torpedo launchers, then spending hours fixing topology, then finding better ways, and then remembering i have hardops and just doing it super fast.... Stupid ADHD brain... i swear...

aafd56431pvv.png

Front torp launchers and phaser cannons

l0tzcdkaprim.png

Rear torp launchers

b5dswca3r86f.png

If anything, i need to add more weapons. The soverign class which predates this by at least 25 years has way more launchers and weapons in general in the dominion war refit version. Though i guess i could go the route of just saying that these launchers are faster or something.
    Right. Done with this version i guess.

frezlccyzejs.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserMustang13Camaro68cool65Lizzy777SCE2Aux
    It looks good. :)

Point defense is actually a consideration on a lot of Starfleet ships, starting with the Enterprise from TMP. That's why it's covered in phaser emitters. There aren't too many angles where it can't fire a beam. In TWOK, after the Reliant attacked the Enterprise with phasers, they fired a torpedo. Kirk ordered Sulu to divert power to the phasers, but it was too late because the Reliant had fired from a close range. The obvious idea was that Sulu was supposed to shoot the torpedo. Going into the TNG era, you'll see a lot of phaser strips all over ships, also with point defense in mind.
    Deantendo
    True, i guess my thinking is in seeing all those torps hit shields during battles and not one gets intercepted. Shields would last longer if the torps were either not hitting, or hitting less, or maybe detonating further away, rather than the 16th century broadsiding approach.
    The problem probably lies in writing. Nicholas Meyer, who wrote the final screenplay for TWOK, obviously took into account that it is possible to shoot a torpedo with phasers, but most writers probably didn't know about that. It would have been cool to see on screen, that's for sure. And, like you said, it would definitely save those shields. It seems that most ST writers thought the shields were the only defensive option, at least until DS9, when those seemed to more or less go away too and you saw a lot of ships get blown up seemingly with no shields.

You could target and destroy torpedoes and missiles in the Starfleet Command games and somewhat in Star Trek Online. Though, I think an update years ago actually made the tops harder to target in STO.
    Deantendo
    That's good info!

I fear i may have to mark my future stuff as 'Strident-verse' as i have a bunch more concepts which don't jive well with how ST is presented, but logically can work (shields, capacitors, redundant power sources... etc...)
    Work has begun on mk4

Overall this should hit a number of goals:
    1. More mature design
    2. Improved geometry
    3. Increased fidelity

hzkic6xc2ul5.png
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777
    Enough progress for an evening.
    1. Roughed-in some micro torpedo launchers in a similar way to aircraft flair launchers.
    2. Basic saucer section with few details right now.
    3. Primary forward weapon segments on the forward surface of the out neck parts.
    4. Started adding some hardops cuts to the saucer

0e4ho4ab5bgd.png
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777
    This evening has been a string of failed experiments, so i've only managed to get a basic version of the impulse engines together, as well as some placeholders for the RCS (yellow) and some marker lights.

8cumvclhc2c5.png
    Yeah, that happens with CGI. Sometimes you sit there working for hours and wind up with jack as far as usable work.
    Indeed. Same for all creative hobbies i guess. Certainly has been with music, graphic design, and writing. But experimentation (even failed) can lead to new ideas, so i tend not to feel too bad.
    Some progress. Still adjusting proportions..

z2nn5nkh5z2n.png
    Lizzy777StarCruiserraztov
    Felt stuck, so did the traditional thing of screwing around with no wrong outcomes.

t0pe5ub03icu.png
    StarCruiserLizzy777