Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DHello, i'm new here and this is my current WIP.

DeantendoDeantendo172 Posts: 68Member
edited January 2023 in Work in Progress #1
So, i've recently got back into blender after about 12 years away, and naturally i'm making spaceships again. This particular model isn't my first, as you can see here, but my latest. Just a rough blockout for now.

I'm still very much getting familiar and learning things, and it's a hobby for me. If anyone is interested in the concept for the ship i'm happy to post what i currently have in mind,

gcr2vwlp3tx8.png
Post edited by Guerrilla on
count23Mustang13Camaro68adjunct37betaevil_genius_180RekkertStarCruiserLizzy777BolianAdmiralWarp Propulsion Laboratory
Tagged:

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Interesting design… I’m curious to see more.
  • DeantendoDeantendo172 Posts: 68Member
    Here's a shot from earlier today. I've since rebuilt the pylons and the nacelles, and also added a pivot to the base of the pylons so that the nacelles can fold in for slipstream travel. Though i admit; Most of the time spent doing this is taken up by learning and doing things the hardest way possible for no good reason.
    BolianAdmiral
    So what i'm doing now is going through the rough block-out and replacing it all with increasingly higher detailed model. Just need to get better with arrays along custom curves so that placing windows and escape pods is as little hassle as possible. Oh, and; the same for the phaser strips. I have custom end caps and segments to string along curves.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's an interesting design for sure. I look forward to seeing how it develops as you progress and replace the blocked in parts with higher detail parts. I also really like that Enterprise model you have on that page you linked to.
    Thanks! Here's a shot in it's current state

5kx9jw6kyw5u.png

Currently reworking the nacelles (also DBZ!)
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
    Great work
    I guess this is the price of increased complexity; Cleaning up excess verts.

x8kyjedtm94x.png
    Lizzy777
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Interesting idea, Andrew Probert who designed the Enterprise-D once had a similar sketch for a future ship with a secondary hull shaped like that, so you're in good company.
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Interesting idea, Andrew Probert who designed the Enterprise-D once had a similar sketch for a future ship with a secondary hull shaped like that, so you're in good company.

Indeed! I'm kinda merging the Inquiry class and Odyssey class.
    Deantendo wrote: »
    I guess this is the price of increased complexity; Cleaning up excess verts.

x8kyjedtm94x.png

A way to avoid that would be to inset the face slightly so that it's away from the vert going across, then delete the verts connecting the inset face to the corners and then do the rest of the operation as you did before. Since it's not connected to the vert going across or the corner you won't have the spider web of faces to clean up.
    lennier1 wrote: »

That's what it is. I knew I'd seen a similar design in the past, but I couldn't remember where.
  • backsteptbackstept2017 Posts: 918Member
    I like what you have so far!

Got a little nitpick for ya: the registry font clashes with the design, in my opinion. The Airborne font goes best with TOS era designs and your ship looks more 25th century. Here's the font they used for the registry markings from TMP onwards
    https://www.azfonts.net/fonts/starfleet-bdex-bt/bold-extended-249278
    Which I think would go with your design better.

Also, check out some tutorials on wrapping text around curves.
    Here's my method (from memory, so I'll try to come back and correct myself)
    Add a text object and give it the font and text you want.
    Go to object >convert to mesh
    In edit mode extrude the text a bit
    Add a remesh modifier and I think the options you want are sharp, untick remove disconnected, and increase octree depth until it looks right. And apply the modifier.
    Back in edit mode, delete all verts except the top faces.
    Add a curve circle and scale it to follow the curve of the hull you want the text on.
    Add a subdivision modifier to the curve so it's nice and smooth.
    Go back to your text object and add a curve modifier and select your curve.
    The text will be in an odd place along the curve, so move and scale until it looks right. Apply the modifier.
    Add a shrinkwrap modifier to the text and choose your hull mesh, use project, and play with the axes settings until it looks right and set it above the surface so it doesn't clip. For me usually 0.001-0.005
    Go to object properties and untick glossy and shadow in ray visibility. So it doesn't cast a shadow or reflection on the hull below.
    Add whatever material you like!

I like the nacelles!

Not sure which Probert design we're talking about, but i'll take it as a compliment ;)

That's an interesting take on text, i like it. I'm still undecided on the font. Never much a fan of close outlines on a font, and the one i'm using leans more toward Naval styles, but then; I've always been a fan of large bold text.

The nacelles are coming along. Probably would be faster if i wasn't designing as i go, but here we are ;)

7r2n5tlzp1kd.png
    backsteptevil_genius_180Lizzy777
    Runabout for scale

253bf292qysd.png
    Lizzy777srspicer
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Interesting looking ship. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

This is the Probert design if your interested:
    https://forums.scifi-meshes.com/discussion/79150/3dandy-proberts-enterprise-ncc-1701-f/p1
    edited January 2023 #16
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Interesting looking ship. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

This is the Probert design if your interested:
    https://forums.scifi-meshes.com/discussion/79150/3dandy-proberts-enterprise-ncc-1701-f/p1

Well, i can see where folks were coming from with the similarity. Haven't seen that one before, but man i do not like it...
    Post edited by Deantendo on
    Very happy with the nacelle so far. Got the double layer pylon in there, and have added a pivot for voyager style folding (in quantum slipstream mode) Trying to add features which you only see at certain angles.

dm6unqdf1e4d.png
    Lizzy777scifieric
    RCS thrusters finally done after much trial and error... "learning" i guess.

ch0n8sv3kjdw.png
    Lizzy777scifiericsrspicer
    Hm, i need to find a better thrust effect.... This one is super easy to use, but not the best...

uhxzqvv05n72.png
    Lizzy777scifieric
    Nacelles in standard position and compacted for quantum slipstream mode

yvzemnlxb0pt.png

dknjajhz2t9a.png

RekkertscifiericLizzy777evil_genius_180
    WIP torpedo launcher

anem4odc92vr.png
    scifiericLizzy777evil_genius_180
    Nah, this is better.

mp16ekxpef9c.png
    Lizzy777scifiericevil_genius_180xiaorobearStarCruiser
    Looking good. The only suggestion I have is to make the nacelle pylons a tad thicker. They look like a prime target for an enemy shot.
  • xiaorobearxiaorobear682 Posts: 171Member
    Cool stuff, lots of very interesting designs! And I hope you're enjoying Blender's more modern interface. =)
    Looking good. The only suggestion I have is to make the nacelle pylons a tad thicker. They look like a prime target for an enemy shot.

Good suggestion! I shall do that.
    xiaorobear wrote: »
    Cool stuff, lots of very interesting designs! And I hope you're enjoying Blender's more modern interface. =)

Thanks, and; YEAH. Unsurprising that 12 of development would improve it! Still impressed.
    Pylons are now about 2x thickness and i've added several support arrays at each end...and some bevels

boerxo5tjfjd.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiser
    Deflector time.. And this is where my hull shape causes me problems...

y26f5c4jfgb1.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiser
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    you might find it easier to create this shape with subdivision if it's going to be a complex shape with many curves. It'll give you much better results.
    DeantendoWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    count23 wrote: »
    you might find it easier to create this shape with subdivision if it's going to be a complex shape with many curves. It'll give you much better results.

How so? Forgive my noobish ignorance.
    My idiot ADHD brain took your comment to mean that by process of using subdiv i would build the object. But maybe i should have read it as; build thing then apply subdiv?