Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbackstept's Shipyards - Various WIPs

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    backstept wrote: »
    Most of today was spent on organizing objects into collections and renaming. No more random Cube.086 or random duplicate materials.

I do that as I go. Otherwise, I'll never remember which cube, sphere or cylinder is which. :lol: Also, I like having things grouped so I can more easily move them if necessary. I just wish that hiding the parent would also hide the child objects, but that's not how Blender works, unfortunately.
    scifieric
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Already have one of the renders as one of my desk top pictures!
    Awesome work.
    scifiericbackstept
  • backsteptbackstept2017 Posts: 918Member
    You can hide the collection itself and it hides everything inside it.

I try to keep things organized as I go, but it doesn't always work out that way.
    scifieric
    I just love the way the light hits it.

fpetg8i2f1rh.png
    evil_genius_180rojrenashleytingerseanrStarCruiserLizzy777adjunct37betacaveat_imperatorscifiericCowardand 3 others.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    Wow! what a great image! Thank you for sharing
    backsteptscifieric
    working on some more doodles

y8s1gx0kn55b.png
    xt4a6a72sfu2.png
    StarCruiserLizzy777scifiericevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorTallguyCowardpubliusrashleytingerWarp Propulsion Laboratoryand 2 others.
    edited January 2023 #98
    Nice! Those are both great designs, especially the Oberth class. I tend to like unusual ships, so that's always been a favorite of mine. Both models look great so far.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    scifieric
    I figured I could bash some connie refit parts for the akyazi. Im trying to find good reference for the oberth. Not sure if anyone took good pictures of the model at auction like the A and D. I used some orthos from Cygnus X-1 that look ok but not as close as i want
    scifieric
    The Oberth is not the world's most documented model. There are a couple from the Christie's auction here:

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/sfvarious1.htm
    scifieric
    Coward wrote: »

Fantastic! I found the set of Excelsior photos from Bill George as well.
    publiusr
    Looking at those reference pictures I can see that I need to start over, but that's a good thing! The tricky part at the moment is the rear part of the lower hull.

Also, the Oberth class official size makes no sense. I think I want to make it make sense.

t6xj29q0nv1q.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777ashleytingerStarCruisercaveat_imperatorscifiericJEStrekkiwibble
    Scaling is one of the things I hate most about building canon ships. ILM claims the Oberth is 120m long, but that doesn't work for the window rows, bay doors or anything else. I get that they wanted the ship to be small, but I get the sense that it was actually designed to be larger than it is and then ILM decided it was only 120m.
    scifieric
    Same thing happened with Excelsior. It was detailed as if it were twice the size!
    scifieric
    Indeed. Coincidentally, both ships are from the same movie. So, I'm guessing they just hadn't worked out the scales when they designed and built the ships.
    scifieric
    edited January 2023 #107
    Did a little more work on the little shippy.

ysi3sedz7dnj.png
    ysfhtv19k190.png
    soa1wfixegsw.png
    wtcqb5gst7kt.png
    Post edited by backstept on
    evil_genius_180scifiericashleytingerStarCruiserxiaorobearLizzy777BolianAdmiralcaveat_imperatorwibblerojrenand 3 others.
    Looking great. :)
    scifiericbackstept
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    backstept wrote: »
    Did a little more work on the little shippy.

Oh, that's beautiful!
    backstept
    5fvgd4qum27r.png
    g4bcgvl67175.png
    Lizzy777BolianAdmiralStarCruiserevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorwibbleashleytingerrojrenWarp Propulsion Laboratoryscifiericand 3 others.
    Damn, you throw these things together really quickly.
    backsteptscifiericTallguy
    Damn, you throw these things together really quickly.

No idea how! I just do it. It's all just breaking it down into simple shapes and sometimes making a part several times over.
    scifieric
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    That's a good lookin' Obie.
    scifieric
    Like the great Stan Lee always said

r9fqrtbt7oxi.png
    evil_genius_180scifiericashleytingercaveat_imperatorStarCruiserJESRekkertLizzy777publiusrwibbleand 1 other.
    Nice! The Excelsior is by far one of the best designs in Star Trek, in my opinion.
    backsteptscifiericashleytingerpubliusr
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Nice! The Excelsior is by far one of the best designs in Star Trek, in my opinion.

Starfleet keeping her in service for 100 plus years would agree! ;)
    evil_genius_180scifiericpubliusr
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    I just realized:
    Wait, this was all done in Blender?! As in, the program I just started learning?!

Yeah, I'm using this thread for reference, because I'm gonna need it (and hope you don't mind if I visit to bombard you with the occasional questions!)
    backsteptscifieric
    yep, all in blender! and I won't mind the questions!
    scifiericJES
    edited January 2023 #119

New TV show, we need ships. :lol: Of course, it would have been preferred to not use any of the older ship models in TNG, but there wasn't enough room in the budget to build all new ship models, that's why the Excelsior, Oberth, Miranda, Klingon Bird of Prey and Merchantman ship models make numerous appearances. (though the Merchantman was constantly being modified.) That means many of those ships were in service for that long. Though, the real money saver was the K't'inga. Between TMP and Star Trek VI, no new footage was shot of that model. Star Trek II and TNG used stock footage from TMP. ;)
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    backsteptscifieric
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member

New TV show, we need ships. :lol: Of course, it would have been preferred to not use any of the older ship models in TNG, but there wasn't enough room in the budget to build all new ship models, that's why the Excelsior, Oberth, Miranda, Klingon Bird of Prey and Merchantman ship models make numerous appearances. (though the Merchantman was constantly being modified.) That means many of those ships were in service for that long. Though, the real money saver was the K't'inga. Between TMP and Star Trek VI, no new footage was shot of that model. Star Trek II and TNG used stock footage from TMP. ;)

Fun little fact, as a result of this, and the use of stock footage from EAF all the way through TNG, the most frequent version of the Excelsior seen in trek before CG was the search for spock version. The Excelsior model didn't undergo it's refit into the TUC version until season 7 of TNG, but TNG stopped producing new footage of the Excelsior by season 4, so all the stock shots were the TSFS version with the different bridge and shuttle modules.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    I never really thought about the back of the Excelsior neck being curved, but it seems to be concentric with the saucer. e4sqlhj2wg40.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777JESRekkertStarCruiserscifiericwibble