Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Constitution Refit

124»

• Paul MoechnerPaul Moechner541 Posts: 126Member
    this is so mind blowing! As a rookie to 3D modeling I wish I knew the correct vocabulary for this, but the hull...it looks/feels like I can reach out and touch it. What is it that gives the hull that look/feel? is it materials? textures? anyway, this is epic!
    lewisnivenscifieric
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Definitely one of the best refit models out there!

I'm also curious, do you render in cycles? My Connie is around the same in terms of polys, but if only has 5 5k texture maps. Despite that renders are still noisy at 20k samples and about 20-30 min of rendering (the denoiser helps, but it smudges a lot of detail).

Yours are just so clean!
    lewisnivenscifieric
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Hunter G wrote: »
    Definitely one of the best refit models out there!

I'm also curious, do you render in cycles? My Connie is around the same in terms of polys, but if only has 5 5k texture maps. Despite that renders are still noisy at 20k samples and about 20-30 min of rendering (the denoiser helps, but it smudges a lot of detail).

Yours are just so clean!

These are rendered in cycles, with about 2000 samples and then denoiser. It's worth pointing out there's an HDRI lighting the scene so there lots and lots of fill light which helps a lot. If I render 'moodier' scenes with less fill and a bright sun I need more samples as the denoiser just mangles all the textures in the shadows completely.

These renders are denoised and then have film grain applied back over in post which helps get rid of that 'denoised waxy' look to everything. :)
    scifieric
    this is so mind blowing! As a rookie to 3D modeling I wish I knew the correct vocabulary for this, but the hull...it looks/feels like I can reach out and touch it. What is it that gives the hull that look/feel? is it materials? textures? anyway, this is epic!

Thanks man, appreciate your comments! The materials are using 2 maps, a base colour or 'albedo' map which is just the colour information, and then a roughness map. I think roughness maps are the secret to convincing materials and they control how the light plays off the surface. Substance Designer makes this a hell of a lot easier as it allows fairly quick and easy creation of high detail maps.
    Paul Moechnerscifieric
    Why can I only hit the like button once on this???

She looks amazing! Love all the detail you've into it in the mesh and up close. The texture work absolutely pays off.

Thanks Ashley! :)
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Can you give us some tips on how you made textures and how you laid them out .
    Sorry my English is not so good
    lewisnivenscifieric
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Outstanding renders & work!!
    lewisnivenscifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's a beautiful model. I love your attention to detail on not only the modeling, but the textures as well. I don't know how many people go to the trouble of replicating the paneling pattern exactly, but that shows a wonderful level of dedication.
    publiusrlewisnivenscifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    That's a beautiful model. I love your attention to detail on not only the modeling, but the textures as well. I don't know how many people go to the trouble of replicating the paneling pattern exactly, but that shows a wonderful level of dedication.

Glad to see you back

evil_genius_180lewisnivenscifieric
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    Awesome, awesome recreation of the refit Constitution-class Starship!
    lewisnivenscifieric
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Orthos:

8K Downloads here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvVjMuvUxmefnN1xUI9hWKlS6PHD-w?e=jaL4Rz

56c6kno7iaha.png
    3zafcwmtlpdp.png
    eoijymy5npim.png
    vxe6guq1qvd5.png
    Rory1707ashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserAel'sLizzy777wibblescifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Those are gorgeous. The accuracy is so high that someone could potentially use those orthos to build their own highly accurate Constitution class. :)
    scifieric
    edited January 2023 #104
    I have some ideas for animations I want to do, so I've done some playing with grading and getting a look I'm happy with, here's a rough one so far. It needs some tidying up and also the nav lights need to blink;

Post edited by lewisniven on
    Rory1707Tallguyashleytingerevil_genius_180scifiericmylexraztovcaveat_imperatorStarCruiserwibbleand 3 others.
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    edited January 2023 #105
    Nicely done. I love the addition of the shuttle craft flying ahead of the Yorktown!
    Post edited by Rory1707 on
    scifieric
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Let's see what she's got!
    scifieric
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • backsteptbackstept2017 Posts: 918Member
    makes me want to completely rebuild mine hahaha
    Excelent!
    scifieric
    backstept wrote: »
    makes me want to completely rebuild mine hahaha
    Excelent!

I was looking through the orthos of yours earlier, you're pretty damn accurate!
    scifiericbackstept
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    "Hey, who turned out the lights in the rec dec - I'm trying to play tri-dimensional chess in here!" 🤣
    scifiericlewisniven
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    seanr wrote: »
    "Hey, who turned out the lights in the rec dec - I'm trying to play tri-dimensional chess in here!" 🤣

For everyone's enjoyment, lights on the Recreational Deck have been dimmed for a better view out of the Observation windows.
    scifiericlewisnivenbackstept