Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLizzy's WIPs

• trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    WoW, very nice
    Lizzy777
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    It's a thing of beauty, really lovely mesh! This is personal preference, but I'm wondering if the shader should be dialed back from being quite as chrome-like - a less reflective material would reduce the size of the white highlights.
    Lizzy777
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    trekki wrote: »
    WoW, very nice

Thank you!
    SCE2Aux wrote: »
    It's a thing of beauty, really lovely mesh! This is personal preference, but I'm wondering if the shader should be dialed back from being quite as chrome-like - a less reflective material would reduce the size of the white highlights.

I'd been considering that. Right now I'm using the same settings that I did on my Enterprise model. Mostly because that's how I thought it looked from early episodes of Strange New Worlds and the teaser trailers. I might make it a bit more gray and tone down the metallic look sometime down the line if I ever get around to doing some proper scene renders. Maybe tone it to look a bit more like the NX-01 than a polished chrome desktop model.

We'll see, I suppose. I'm just not there yet.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    According to John Eaves, when he and Scott Schneider were working out the Enterprise's hull materials, they wanted it to look like bare metal. Then the people doing the CGI model took that forward and made the model look metallic and, thus, very shiny.

I don't know if they tweaked the materials at all for SNW, but the ship definitely looks very metallic on screen.
    Lizzy777scifieric
    So, I finally got around to detailing the mission pod. Just like the movie version, it has a pair of torpedo launchers fore and aft. But unlike the original, I've added a deflector dish as well. After a few adjustments to the pod itself and the surrounding parts, I feel like I've completed the build part of this project.

Now I just need to unwrap everything and texture it.

seVnOJd.png
    trekkievil_genius_180ashleytingerscifiericStarCruisermishasiegfriedgerb200publiusrsrspicerMustang13Camaro68and 2 others.
    Very nice, Love IT.
    Lizzy777scifieric
    I really like how you stayed true to the original design but also added that deflector. It looks great.
    Lizzy777scifieric
    I've finally managed to get around to unwrapping and texturing the roll bar! Save for lighting the thing, I'd say this model is done.

8pr2yev.png
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180rojrenashleytingertrekkisrspicer
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    So good! Nice work!
    Lizzy777
    So good! Nice work!

thank you!
    Very nice work :)
    Lizzy777
    I love how you do that chrome look.
    scifiericLizzy777
    trekki wrote: »
    Very nice work :)

Thank you!
    I love how you do that chrome look.
    It's a fairly simple node setup in Blender. I think half of it is the material settings, and the other half is the HDRI lighting.

So, here are my super simple material settings.
    JHfUF6r.png

And the basic default EasyHDRI plugin settings.
    d0QSJMp.png

I think a lot of the heavy lifting is done with the texture maps that I created in Photoshop. And that is helped along by me ACTUALLY taking some care in laying out my UV maps! LOL Instead of like, "box unwrap" and hope for the best.
    evil_genius_180
    Figuring out some new settings since I upgraded Blender. I also learned how to properly collapse a mesh (the Enterprise in this case) and reassign materials. Turns out, if I hadn't, there'd be 2 Reliants in this scene.

gN2UA6f.png
    evil_genius_180rojrenashleytingerStarCruisersrspicerscifiericAel's
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    This looks great… and I really like the way your Aztec effect turned out!
    Lizzy777
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    Figuring out some new settings since I upgraded Blender. I also learned how to properly collapse a mesh (the Enterprise in this case) and reassign materials. Turns out, if I hadn't, there'd be 2 Reliants in this scene.

Yeah, I don't know if Kirk would have won the Mutara Nebula fight if there had been 2 Reliants, so it's a good thing you nixed one. :lol:
    Lizzy777scifieric
    edited January 2023 #499
    This looks great… and I really like the way your Aztec effect turned out!

Thank you!
    Yeah, I don't know if Kirk would have won the Mutara Nebula fight if there had been 2 Reliants, so it's a good thing you nixed one. :lol:

Haha Yeah, that would have been a bit of a pickle! Though it just shows how easy it'd be for me to change the registry and names to show off different ships. A quick edit and the Enterprise can become Yorktown. Same with turning the Reliant into the Brattain.

Okay! Since I couldn't get the lighting effect that I wanted on the name and registry numbers using illumination objects, I decided to fake it with emissive maps.
    E5tYP2p.png
    xTQj0kQ.png

Once I do one ship, the other becomes easy. Glad I left the UV maps the same between the two when I built the Reliant.
    usWCIZw.png
    Post edited by Lizzy777 on
    ashleytingerStarCruiserevil_genius_180srspicerAel's
    Good choice with the emissive maps. That's probably how they do it on the show. Star Trek self lighting always looks neat, but it can never be accomplished without fakery.
    Lizzy777scifieric
    What could the U.S.S. Miranda look like in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds? Well, if we take a look at the Farragut from Season One, maybe it'd look like the U.S.S. Reliant concept by Joe Jennings, Mike Minor, and Lee Cole?

nNNrNga.png
    fn8YfWg.png
    Yhvyzzy.png
    evil_genius_180raztovStarCruiserwibblesrspicertrekkiMustang13Camaro68SCE2AuxAel'sBolianAdmiral
    luPvLCw.png
    Well, would you look at that! PROGRESS!

Now all I need to do is figure out the connections between the drydock arms, and the superstructure that goes into the middle. Then add materials and.. I'll probably figure out something else I missed.
    raztovrojrenevil_genius_180ashleytingerSCE2AuxMustang13Camaro68StarCruiserPheylanwibbleAel'sand 2 others.
    The Drydock, as far as I'd gotten, has proven itself to be too boring to keep my attention. Will I get back to it? WHO KNOWS! Maybe? I doubt it. Still, there are other, more interesting designs out there. Like the new D7 from Strange New Worlds.

Whyyyyyyyy is the bulb shape of the new D7 so weird... ::cries::

The lattice modifier is my friend... The lattice modifier is my friend... The lattice modifier is my friend...

vAou5IA.png
    NkUcGlQ.png
    iIu7NJF.png
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180trekkiwibblepubliusrscifiericAel'sBolianAdmiral
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    Good to see this thread updated - I'm old-fashioned and still like posting on forum threads haha. Looks like a good start! How much reference material have you got for the new D7? At a glance there looks like some major changes on the nacelle, but the rest looks fairly similar?
    Mustang13Camaro68Lizzy777
    Nice to see you back. :) I love the start on the D7.
    trekkiLizzy777scifieric
    SCE2Aux wrote: »
    Good to see this thread updated - I'm old-fashioned and still like posting on forum threads haha. Looks like a good start! How much reference material have you got for the new D7? At a glance there looks like some major changes on the nacelle, but the rest looks fairly similar?

I'm using Mark Bell's model as the main reference, plus screens from the STO model, and some shots from the show episodes where it shows up. Specifically SNW S2E1. There's a LOT that's different from the TOS and DSC/SNW versions. Even more so than the differences between the D-7 and the K'tinga!
    Nice to see you back. :) I love the start on the D7.
    I never left! LOL I just hadn't had much motivation to post my own stuff is all.

Okay! A little more progress. Might be a bit long, not sure yet until I work out the hull section.

N1M5F19.png
    SCE2Auxevil_genius_180scifiericStarCruiserAel's
    I meant it's nice to see you posting your work again. :)
    scifiericLizzy777
    I meant it's nice to see you posting your work again. :)
    Ah, well here're a few more screencaps.

I started this Sunday night. It's now close to 5:30 am when I posted this. Looks kinda...flat? Meh. I'll worry about it later.

Pfhq02z.png
    ZMQ0VEj.png
    xHdqhGx.png

evil_genius_180ashleytingertrekkiwibbleAel'sscifiericsrspicer
    Looking good. Seeing this makes me want to build the TOS D7 again.
    Lizzy777StarCruiserscifieric
    Not 100% on that impulse drive section shape. It's another weird one that I've been having trouble figuring out. Also, I think my scale is off again.

W0m7oei.png
    0hUiN7z.png
    evil_genius_180Ael'sStarCruiserscifiericwibble
    Looking good. Yeah, the D7 is an odd one to figure out for sure. There aren't that many straight lines on the ship, it's a lot of complex curves and things that make it a challenge. Also, I'm sure the new one has scant references compared to the one from the 60s.
    Lizzy777scifiericpubliusr