Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalFine Molds :72 Red 6 and Porkins' helmet

vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 266Member
edited December 2022 in Finished Work #1
When I knew I was leaving my last job (Nike), I wanted a project that was 'for someone else' to not get so wrapped up in the worry and anxiety of unemployment. A while back, a friend, whose youngest is autistic had told me that he's been having a rougher couple of years. The kid is amazing, but aside from the cards he got dealt, he's also hit teenage-dom and all that that brings with it. About the same time, she let me know he is also a big SW fan. Having been in George's wheelhouse for SW and with my time on SW/CW at Lucasfilm, I get it ;-) and when she told me his favorite colors are red and yellow (I asked having this in mind) well, no-brainer...

Shipping these to him tomorrow. (crummy cellphone pics I'm afraid)

1zvf1nf49uxx.jpg
tiibr6fhpz1b.jpg
whgzakkejldj.jpg
yqkfyazagkko.jpg
d2zb1um5m39z.jpg
jhaz3pw77bxu.jpg
24udb1ulssp2.jpg
5u7hc51skr3a.jpg
p33hofzodft7.jpg
Post edited by vfxart on
trekkiashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777scifieric
Tagged:

• TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Wow. 1) Great story. 2) Thanks for reminding me how much I love X-wings!
    scifieric
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    The weathering and detailing on this is so amazing
    scifiericvfxart
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    WOW!! That's some stunning work. Also, it's great that it's going to a kid who sounds like he really deserves it. That's very heartwarming.

I hope you've been able to or will be able to line up another job. Long term unemployment sucks, I know. I've been there. That's one reason I used to have so much time for CGI that I don't have anymore.
    scifiericvfxart
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    vfxart wrote: »
    When I knew I was leaving my last job (Nike), I wanted a project that was 'for someone else' to not get so wrapped up in the worry and anxiety of unemployment. A while back, a friend, whose youngest is autistic had told me that he's been having a rougher couple of years. The kid is amazing, but aside from the cards he got dealt, he's also hit teenage-dom and all that that brings with it. About the same time, she let me know he is also a big SW fan. Having been in George's wheelhouse for SW and with my time on SW/CW at Lucasfilm, I get it ;-) and when she told me his favorite colors are red and yellow (I asked having this in mind) well, no-brainer...

Shipping these to him tomorrow. (crummy cellphone pics I'm afraid)
    Outstanding work! That is absolutely lovely to see. Plus, you're doing a very kind thing by sending this to your friend's kid! Well done!

I hope you have found a new job. You're obviously talented!
    vfxart
  • vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 266Member
    Hi and thanks everyone. If the shipping gods smile upon me, the packages will be delivered Thursday. :-)

Sadly, to address the other, no I have not got a job... and... yeah... going on 8 months. It has passed into apprehension, depression, and serious uh-oh time.

At the beginning of the month, I delivered something to a project that I want to be part of in a FT capacity, and it went over well from what I'm told. But, not a word. There are some tough circumstances around it- my only contact and source of input sadly lost his mom just before Thanksgiving and communication with him has been tough since. He's not taking it well, his mom was the world to him. For me, I can only hope that I hear something before long. I have to get back to putting more work out. Problem with my last major jobs, everything is under NDA and strict rules around what I can show- to sum up, I can not show anything from my last 14 years... it's brutal.

Many thank-yous again! There may be an unboxing video of the best that his parents can manage, so I'm hoping that it's a fun reaction to see.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777scifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Damn, that's rough. I understand the importance of NDA's, but sometimes you need to be able to show some stuff so people know what you can do. I hope something comes your way.
    vfxartscifieric
    Happy to report that the helmet and fighter got to their recipient, and he was very happy, got an 'awesome' and thank you from him. Mom is also incredibly pleased, so... yeah. *whew* A couple of the panels need to be popped back (they can also pressure fit) but as I told Mom, any excuse to get out a hot glue gun... ;-)
    scifiericevil_genius_180Lizzy777
    Damn, that's rough. I understand the importance of NDA's, but sometimes you need to be able to show some stuff so people know what you can do. I hope something comes your way.

Thanks and yeah, it's pretty brutal. I still hope to hear something as the year rolls over, but that's probably not realistic. Got to clear my head of the worry and turn out more work, hope it gets attention.
    evil_genius_180