Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Looking for: ReferenceBest / Good Refit Enterprise plans?

TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
edited December 2022 in Looking for... #1
Hi there. What's the best plans of the Motion Picture Enterprise? I'm having a go with with the Big Jim Slade plans but they seem a little... Squished? Just going by what my model is looking like compared to photo refs.

Or is everybody just way better at modeling from photos than I am? (Most six year olds are better at modeling from photos than I am.)

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Guerrilla on
Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
scifieric
Tagged:

• backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 918Member
    I must admit that I have been using a combination of looking at Dennis Bailey's model, the wonderful orthos of the Yorktown by Lewis Niven, as well as the Christie's Auction photos.
    scifiericlewisniven
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Yeah, it's the Christie's photos that are making me feel bad. :)
    scifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Ooh, rough subject. I'll see a set that looks promising and then get to looking at it in more detail and see stuff I don't like. (I **may** have been looking earlier today)

This is the set I used when I built the ship over 8 years ago:

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/sd-constitution-ncc-1700-rebuild.php

I don't think they're completely accurate, but pretty decent, in my opinion. Though, when I built that model I was on a time crunch because it was for a fan film that eventually fizzled, but I remember thinking those were close enough. The problem is, there's not one set that really nails the whole ship.
    scifieric
  • backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 918Member
    I loaded up the Big Jim plans and they seem to line up pretty well with what I have so far.

What's squished about them?
    scifieric
    Boy I'm rusty at this.

Comparing a few different plans / ortho renders I see that Slade's plans have a much more shallow slope to the bridge dome. The other plans / renders / reference photos have a dome that's closer to the vertical. It makes it LOOK taller. The proportions on all of them look pretty close to the same.

Once I get my pipeline more set up I'll post some comparisons.

scifieric
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Tallguy wrote: »
    Boy I'm rusty at this.

Comparing a few different plans / ortho renders I see that Slade's plans have a much more shallow slope to the bridge dome. The other plans / renders / reference photos have a dome that's closer to the vertical. It makes it LOOK taller. The proportions on all of them look pretty close to the same.

Once I get my pipeline more set up I'll post some comparisons.

Bit late to this but the rear of the nacelles is wrong on Big Jims, they should taper up more than he has. There's a couple of other errors too. I worked from his plans so if you load my Orthos in you should be in the same place with a few anomalies sorted. I think I moved the nacelle pylons back from what he had too, and also corrected the deflector/torpedo area a bit as well.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    Outstanding. Thank you so much.

My current methodology is that I'm going to build what I can and then once I know "how" I'll go back and do it again. Hey, I'm not getting paid for this, right? (And that's why, too. :) )
    scifieric
  • CowardCoward519 Posts: 34Member
    These might be helpful. Got them from Drex Files ages ago, not sure how accurate they are. I think the model might be the one created for the TMP Director editions, but since most of The Drex Files is no longer accessible, I can't really confirm it.

rtdmbhf4rd8g.jpg
    63pxmf8e8su0.jpg
    nfkzlpzb2wex.jpg
    ujatu4rqjdtl.jpg
    trv8s4m7zsak.jpg

evil_genius_180scifieric
    Thank you!. Such a pretty ship!
    scifieric