Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Milan Maru (Ebon Hawk Redesign)

• SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    The panelling looks good to me too, but if you're unsure, best to leave it alone for a day or two without looking at it. Fresh eyes are always better than trying to figure it out after staring at it constantly for ages.
    wibble
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    edited November 2022 #213
    Yeah, sorry, I had to step back from this stuff for a while. I just didn't have any passion for it.

Hey, no need to be sorry. Like I said, I understand it very well. This was just my twisted way to say how good it is to see you again.
    SCE2Aux wrote: »
    If you're unsure, best to leave it alone for a day or two without looking at it.

Yap, that's pretty much my strategy for life. Hence the 10 years production time. :)

On that note, while I let it rest, I tried my hands on another airlock. Actually that was a quick one. I just copied it from the interior set. Not sure if I keep it 'cause it feels kind of lazy, but for now I just wanted to define the direction I want to go.
    n1qc6cc0vpql.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    StarCruiserxiaorobearevil_genius_180Lizzy777Ael's
  • xiaorobearxiaorobear682 Posts: 171Member
    Looking really nice! I could see adding a couple mechanical docking clamp bits around, or some deeper pits to received docking clamps from another ship? Could differentiate it a little from the interior without changing the look too much.
    wibble
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looks good. I agree, some docking clamps would be a nice addition. Did you nix one of the side laser turrets to put that there? Or am I thinking of the wrong part of the ship. Honestly, the side laser turrets always seemed kinda redundant anyway, since you exclusively used the top turret in both games.
    wibble
    edited December 2022 #216
    @evil_genius_180: You are thinking of the right part of the ship. I moved the starboard canon to the bottom, like you can see here. Mainly because of this cutscene from KotOR II:
    qkpug6v7tqbx.bmp, which I like very much esthetically but doesn't make much sense unless you can walk through the turret.

@xiaorobear: Thank you very much for the feedback. I agree that it would benefit from a few docking clamps. If you say they could differentiate it without changing the look too much, where do you see them? I guess it mostly depends on how the counterpart looks like. The version that I thought of so far is a negative form that covers the entire airlock. That would leave the inner ring for the clamps. Something like this:
    psaipstsv6sr.png
    yyfqln01ury9.png

Of course now that doesn't leave enough space for the doors to open. So I will have to give them another shape. Didn't like the "peace sign" anyway.
    nu1pxnb0qtds.png

Post edited by wibble on
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777Ael's
    wibble wrote: »
    @evil_genius_180: You are thinking of the right part of the ship. I moved the starboard canon to the bottom, what you can see here. Mainly because of this cutscene from KotOR II: qkpug6v7tqbx.bmp, which I like very much esthetically but doesn't make much sense unless you can walk through the turret.

Ah yes, that scene. Go-To's yacht. I forgot about that.
    Had to play a bit with the unfinished model.

8b4hn3xdsay9.png
    uhkesclz32qk.png
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777srspicerAel'sSeverus
    edited December 2022 #219
    Ah yes, the part in the games where you have to fight off the exact same incoming swarm of Sith fighters. =)

The space background looks great. Is that a render or something you made or obtained by other means?
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    wibble
    edited December 2022 #220
    The space background looks great. Is that a render or something you made or obtained by other means?

It's a NASA photograph. Taken by the Hubble telescope if I had to guess, but I'm not sure. Used as Image Texture on a plane mixed with an emission shader. So, nothing special here. Yes, after 16 years of messing around with Blender I'm still trying to figure out the basic tricks. But that makes it even more satisfying if I finally receive convincing results.

And yes one day I will have to build a Sith fighter to give it something to shoot at. But that will have to wait I'm afraid.
    Post edited by wibble on
    Made a new glass material and tested it under different lighting set-up's.
    zanxxmsa0mo2.png
    kexckvz055ng.png
    tdyptrs92ahe.png
    rojrenashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserxiaorobearLizzy777srspicerAel'sSeverus
    Looks good, definitely very glass like.
    wibble
    Thank you @evil_genius_180. It really is an improvement, isn't it? But also doesn't look right yet. Especially if I do Interior shots you can see that it is way too reflective.

vlz52zjdhc2z.png
    bldk45tzafbm.png

If anyone with Blender experience has an idea what I could doe better, it would be very appreciated. In this regard it might help if I show you the node tree. But please don't laugh about it. I really didn't know what I was doing and just mixed some shaders together in order to see what the result would be.

uonu5hsfq8lj.png
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777Ael'sSeverus
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    I don't know about being too reflective. I just got off a cruise ship and that seems just about right from when we were looking out of the dining room or just walking the halls and looking out.
    wibbleevil_genius_180
    Yeah, I agree. The reflections look good, just from being inside a building with lights on and looking out. I just went to the window and opened the blinds and I can see my lamp reflecting in the glass. But I can see through other parts of the glass where there isn't a reflection, like what you have there.
    wibble
    edited March 2023 #226
    Thank you for the acknowledgement, that of course is appreciated as well.
    Did invest a bit of time in the cockpit ceiling. Like for the rest of the ship I have no concept or an idea where I want to go. I'm just testing shapes and will see what works in the end.
    l2sp7k7l1dh9.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777Ael's
    It can be rough sometimes designing something from scratch. The original interior of the Ebon Hawk was just a bunch of textures because of the age of the game, so you're definitely doing this from scratch when it comes to the details.
    wibble
    I love what you're doing with this. It FEELS like the Ebon Hawk, so I think you're hitting all the right points.
    wibble
    edited March 2023 #229
    It can be rough sometimes designing something from scratch. The original interior of the Ebon Hawk was just a bunch of textures because of the age of the game, so you're definitely doing this from scratch when it comes to the details.
    Yeah, I definitely anticipated this to be easier. Well, lesson learned! :/
    As for the details I try to get reference from wherever I can get them. In the case of the ceiling I'm leaning towards the "Last Resort" from the KotOR Comics.
    1iv6ck22nafd.jpg
    I love what you're doing with this. It FEELS like the Ebon Hawk, so I think you're hitting all the right points.
    Thank you very much. After ten years of struggling it is wholesome to read something like that.
    Post edited by wibble on
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180
    edited January 21 #230
    After I stumbled through the Star Trek Universe for some time I felt an urge to visit my old baby again. Obviously I haven't made much progress during those months. Mainly tweaking materials and testing the new render settings of Blender 4.02. But I definitively want to go back into modelling, too. I got a ton of new reference material and can't wait to see if it will be of use.

ks9k7xdr8993.png
    isdsa7jfoegy.png
    gxst7sr2m0h4.png
    k8syz13g06qt.png
    fiixo8ppurf2.png
    pt89gbqxa834.png
    wlmp94w4vwsh.png
    a35x0biv9hr2.png
    aq63r75l84zr.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    StarCruiserashleytingerRekkertLizzy777rojrenWarp Propulsion LaboratorysrspicerSCE2AuxSeverus
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited January 21 #231
    Cool to see you back at this one, nice update!
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    wibble
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited January 23 #232
    Thank you @Rekkert , I had no idea that you still care for this project. =)

And here we have the next never-ending project. Labelling buttons ... one by one. I know, this would probably be faster using textures. But since I have zero experience in texturing I'm using cutters and Knife Project instead. My hope is that the process will fasten up when I have labelled enough buttons and can start reusing them.

kisr5wwlng3g.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    ashleytingerStarCruiserWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777srspicerMustang13Camaro68
    I feel your pain. I did that with the TMP/Phase II bridge and the buttons and displays as well as the LCARS on the current stuff I'm working on. I've put in a few textures for the screens but 98% is geometry and color lol

This looks fantastic!
    wibble
    Thank you @ashleytinger. It's good to know that I'm not the only fool who is using this method.
    Already reused some of the labels and I'm super happy. I was pretty insecure most of the time 'cause what I did so far never looked like much in my eyes. But labelling the controls sells it all of a sudden. And of course rendering with 1500 samples and having a bit colour in the image also helps.

veaigezgoac6.png
    Mustang13Camaro68ashleytingerLizzy777
    edited January 26 #235
    The Ebon Hawk from the Games did have those pipes running on the cockpit floor. With no doubt to evoke this messy and lived in feeling that we know and love about Star Wars.
    mo1ksxbkx3ad.jpg
    I wanted to keep this original design element but also considered them to be rather impractical if not a safety issue. So I simply moved them under the floor. And for them to still be visible I made this ventilation grill and got another typical Star Wars thing build into the cockpit as a bonus.
    dihyyxb8yhgn.png
    ysfgk5aa80u9.png
    hwsytlaz81xs.png
    4mst1gt4iwy1.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    ashleytingerLizzy777StarCruiserSeverus
    Very nice!
    wibble
    edited February 15 #237
    @ashleytinger thank you.

Idea for a quarter.

ekytbhu8aks1.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    Lizzy777
    edited January 30 #238
    I placed an identical counterpart above the cockpit Holoemitter. Claiming it needs a counterpart to work properly.
    1hhygcs37kcr.png
    And I tried to improve those ceiling pipes after examining some Jedi: Survivor Screenshots. But that might need a second take.
    95b9ket55kj0.png

Edit:
    The second take. Mildly better or just good enough to leave it be for now
    5lm4qp57i0i1.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    Lizzy777
    edited February 4 #239
    I would like to say my floor got plates. But that sounds like a disease.

9foofigxcbgy.png
    dr3t544aqjg0.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    Lizzy777ashleytinger
    Same old deal. Slow but steady.
    6xrf1t839886.png
    Wanted to finish the cockpit consoles. What slows it down this time is that I started to think about what the controls are actually controlling instead of just randomly placing buttons. Which is tough if you don't have any knowledge about avionic.
    Decided to make this part the gunner control. Not much there yet but anyone who can read aurek-bash would have guessed it already.
    hmx1dildoju4.png
    ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777SeverusStarrigger
    To be fair, they never put that much thought into the Falcon's buttons or controls. Lucas couldn't even tell Harrison how he was supposed to fly the ship lol
    wibble