Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNCC-1701, no bloody A,B,C or D (my progress so far)

• scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    I go through and clean up odd lines that aren't straight. When I think I've got them all, I highlight the back area and use a different smoothing method to make it look different.

Alternately, you could keep the sides and remove that back end, making it a different piece, but I think that would be harder in the end.
    evil_genius_180Paul Moechner
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    By far, this is one of the most challenging parts. Similar to what Eric said, I typically do a lot of cleaning up extra lines and making the geometry as pretty as possible. It's a long and involved process, but worth it in the end.

Your progress has definitely been fantastic. It took some of us years and multiple iterations to get a model anywhere near this good.
    Paul Moechnerscifieric
  • Paul MoechnerPaul Moechner541 Posts: 126Member
    edited November 2022 #34
    Thanks!

Day 54: I finally got the high poly end caps to look right!

Thanks to what I've been learning on this thread, the tutorial, and a couple hours worth of tutoring from a member of the AsteronX team this morning(the aerospace R&D organization startup that I volunteer at), I learned what I was doing wrong.

1. I didn't completely understand how to "remove doubles" with the current version of Blender, since there is no "remove doubles" button to click anymore. I thought it was just a simple matter of going to edit mode-select all verts-right click-merge verts by distance. Turns out I could customize the distance. As a result I ended up removing around 8,000'ish verts that I didn't need.

2. The second mistake I was making was that somehow my faces were inside out of the end cap model. I just learned the hard way of developing the habit of always double-checking face orientations when I make new models.

3. I was using a "low poly" cutout on a "high poly" model(in this case, the high poly model being the end cap). So when one of my fellow AsteronX team members walked me through his own ways of turning my low poly cutout into a high poly version, I then applied the boolean, the problem was instantly solved!

So excited to finally get the back of the endcap to look right. I learned so much about blender just doing this. Took me weeks to learn these simple things but it was worth it:

eepmto32atls.jpg
    21zzg05p9xlh.jpg
    36sivr9ewjww.jpg
    Post edited by Paul Moechner on
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserRory1707scifiericJES
    Yasss!!! At the end of the day I finally finished lesson 24! It feels good to finally "officially" place the starboard engine on the pylon permanetly, as opposed to the last time when I temporarily did it to make screen shots. Can't wait to finish the other details so I can mirror this.

I learned a lot more about Star Trek in general in these tutorials. Was amazed to find out that this whole time, the buzzard collectors were lit up by christmas lights wrapped around nails, lol.

In the lesson, I couldn't decide if I wanted to base the cutout on a cylinder or a UV sphere, so I created both cutouts, applied a boolean to a UV sphere style cutout, then I took the inner face of the cylinder cutout, seperated it from the rest of the cylinder cutout, and used the face by itself to create the flat bottom in the sphere style cutout...then applied the same material to make it blend in.

6c2d72vhyd6k.jpg
    ppve0gz09gl6.jpg

evil_genius_180Rory1707Lizzy777scifiericStarCruiserJES
    I learned a lot more about Star Trek in general in these tutorials. Was amazed to find out that this whole time, the buzzard collectors were lit up by christmas lights wrapped around nails, lol.

Yep, and all of that on a bed of broken colored mirror bits. The effect on screen is amazing, and it was a relatively inexpensive upgrade to make the ship seem more "alive" for when the show went to series.
    Paul Moechnerscifieric
    edited November 2022 #37
    Day 55. Finished learning how to make intercoolers(hope that's how you spell it). What's interesting is that these remind me of a real life starship engineering concept referred to as 'dusty plasma radiators'. I wonder if there's any connection. I know a lot of real life engineering concepts was used in the ST franchise over the years, so it wouldn't surprise me if these really are a star trek version of dusty plasma radiators.

2i0aqaz018x7.jpg
    s860qi8ro7bx.jpg
    l8gzuav288do.jpg
    5o635zhnk4js.jpg

trekkiRory1707Lizzy777scifiericevil_genius_180StarCruiserJES
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    edited November 2022 #38
    Your work are very nice 👍
    How do you get these diamonds ?
    Post edited by trekki on
    Paul Moechner
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member

Day 55. Finished learning how to make intercoolers(hope that's how you spell it). What's interesting is that these remind me of a real life starship engineering concept referred to as 'dusty plasma radiators'. I wonder if there's any connection. I know a lot of real life engineering concepts was used in the ST franchise over the years, so it wouldn't surprise me if these really are a star trek version of dusty plasma radiators.

Matt Jeffries (the designer of the original Enterprise) was an aeronautical engineer with substantial aviation experience, so those kinds of things are probably deliberate, not coincidental. Good eye.
    Paul Moechnerscifiericevil_genius_180trekki
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    trekki wrote: »

Thanks! I've been following scifieric's 3-D modeling tutorial. Here is the link to the specific lesson where scifieric teaches how to make those diamonds.

scifiericevil_genius_180StarCruisertrekki
    edited November 2022 #41
    Thanks! I've been following scifieric's 3-D modeling tutorial. Here is the link to the specific lesson where scifieric teaches how to make those diamonds.

Aw! Thank you for sharing!

You're doing a GREAT job! Keep up the good work!
    Post edited by scifieric on
    Paul Moechner
    Those look great. :+1:
    Paul Moechnerscifieric
    scifieric wrote: »

Aw! Thank you for sharing!

You're doing a GREAT job! Keep up the good work!
    Those look great. :+1:

Thank you very much! :)

Did the box radiators today:
    b8dupubpzi9h.jpg
    1yswpz85pt96.jpg
    evil_genius_180Rory1707scifiericStarCruiserLizzy777JES
    edited November 2022 #44
    Day 58. Got a lot of the modeling done on the inner side of the warp engine!

dvpgsgnyho51.jpg
    uhppnbtfgwzm.jpg
    kg1c6qj1abc3.png
    skaopic2c91h.png

ashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777scifiericsrspicerJES
    Excellent work!
    Paul Moechner
    edited November 2022 #46
    Day 59:

It took me 8 hours worth of grinding today to get it to look right, but today I finished the details in the inner trench of the warp engine and I made two versions of the warp engine:

1. Did the classic 1960's look

2. I figured out how to have blue glowing warp plasma like the Enterprise-D in TNG...WITHOUT screwing up the classic design! WOOT

4of5sc42benz.png
    lpcfq565x2w2.png
    l5mz57i6mps7.png
    fis4d4b3cez5.png

Rory1707StarCruiserscifiericLizzy777caveat_imperatorJES
    edited November 2022 #47
    Played around with some emission settings today and got some light to bounce around:

2mtsdhsla8sv.png
    Rory1707StarCruiserscifiericLizzy777srspicercaveat_imperatorJES
    Day 60:

After I created a variant of the 1701 warp engine with a TNG style blue lighting, I messed around and was able to figure out how to create an NX-01 style blue lighting as well and it looks great!

here is what it looks like with and without using points of light in the renders:

o3f0e06ru7px.png
    n0jqosatlobk.png
    6i17rmwoabf0.png
    zvbw3iyb49g1.png

Rory1707StarCruiserscifiericLizzy777srspicercaveat_imperatorJES
    edited November 2022 #49
    lol above I attempted to make the blue lights accurate to the NX-01 by memory but after looking up reference photos on google, I noticed immediately that I messed up. So here is a MORE accurate version of my NX-01 style lights:

xuhxmdy7vv2d.png
    2g8dku11ldht.png
    0bd7h4zo15lo.png

ashleytingerStarCruiserRory1707scifiericLizzy777srspicercaveat_imperatorJES
    Day 61, learned how to render and do lighting a little better. used to have a problem of the lighting being too bright and washing out the hull color lol. Instead of using actual light sources, suns, etc, in lesson 31 of the tutorial I'm using I learned that I could create planes, assign emission materials to them, and adjust some item property settings so that the planes don't show. ...and WOW the difference that made!

797ml9yyzrc0.png
    3i60xu100xta.png
    uk2v3uzf4du3.png

Rory1707scifiericStarCruiserLizzy777wibbleevil_genius_180srspicercaveat_imperatorJES
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    You are doing an outstanding job on this Paul.
    scifiericPaul Moechner
    Instead of using actual light sources, suns, etc, in lesson 31 of the tutorial I'm using I learned that I could create planes, assign emission materials to them, and adjust some item property settings so that the planes don't show. ...and WOW the difference that made!

That sounds great! Well done, and make sure you share the tutorial(s) with people!
    Paul Moechner
    Day 62:

I had to go through the "materials lessons part 1 and 2" twice in order to fully learn it just because of how much of a rookie I am when it comes to the materials aspect of blender.

I feel like I have finally achieved that "reach out and touch it" feel of renders that I have been drooling over in other people's work here on this forum haha.

8jzypqybxgmf.png
    pvy4ac46pitp.png
    2k3vqic7hbpj.png

Here's a link to "part 1" of the material lessons I'm referring to:
    count23evil_genius_180Rory1707StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorJES
    Looking great. Lighting and materials are definitely important keystones to good CGI.
    Paul Moechnerscifieric
    Day 63. Wasn't able to get much done today beyond adding some grebles (I think that's what they're called) to the port and starboard engineering arms, due to taking a break and rendering some blend files containing modeling/animations done by the head of AsteronX for our new upcoming AsteronX video on youtube. It's gonna be a good one.

bd8byceld7og.png

wibbleStarCruiserRory1707evil_genius_180Lizzy777caveat_imperatorscifiericJES
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Solid gold deflector dish. Stunning.
    Paul Moechnerscifieric
    edited November 2022 #57
    Day 66

Finished mirroring the second warp engine.

2w9v3wttk3po.png
    w3kzc0gzp28z.png
    cqb99918gj7v.png

Also, I added the leather things that was on the edges of the studio model's impulse engine frame...at least that's what they will look like for now until I can figure out how to simulate the texture that was on them:
    qsnozmhz4h07.png

srspicerrojrenRory1707wibbleevil_genius_180caveat_imperatortrekkiLizzy777xiaorobearscifiericand 2 others.
    Looks good. Yeah, they used some kind of cloth. I'm not sure which kind, but I'm sure Eric knows.
    Paul Moechnerscifieric
    Day 68:

I'm getting ready to scale up my entire 3D model of the USS Enterprise using a method that Todd, the head of AsteronX and my personal mentor on Blender taught me, but had to make some changes first. After that, i'll be creating the 5 sided cube rooms for the windows taught in scifieric's tutorial.

First thing I did was finally completly rebuild the B,C deck from scratch. I made a lot of mistakes with it, it wasn't really conforming to the blue prints, etc...but thanks to all the stuff I learned since then, when I re-watched scifieric's lesson on how to build it, it was easy to build another B,C deck and make it more accurate this time.

Here's the before and after pics of me redoing the B,C deck:
    1dly934g2xjc.jpg
    9f9t864e95k2.jpg

I was going through a PDF of an old starfleet technical manual, another fellow member of AsteronX sent me to help me with my 3D modeling exercise and I was intrigued by this page in the manual:
    hqnqf5sxah7i.jpg

. . . so I adjusted the blue lighting accordingly.
    fglim705xrw1.png
    Ironic that it looks a lot like my first attempt at the nx-01 style lights. This sits better with me so I'm keeping this latest blue lighting configuration.

StarCruiserRory1707caveat_imperatorJES
    Looks good. Yeah, they used some kind of cloth. I'm not sure which kind, but I'm sure Eric knows.

LOL! There are limits to what I know! I honestly don't know what they used, but I know what it looks like.
    Ironic that it looks a lot like my first attempt at the nx-01 style lights. This sits better with me so I'm keeping this latest blue lighting configuration.

Very cool!
    Paul Moechner
    The new B/C deck and engine glows look great. I own that tech manual and I've always loved that version of the nacelle innards.
    scifieric wrote: »

LOL! There are limits to what I know! I honestly don't know what they used, but I know what it looks like.

It looks like an Ace bandage to me. :p
    Paul Moechnerscifieric