Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DGalaxy Class Redux

Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
edited February 2023 in Work in Progress #1
Thumbnail:
A8zF0Gf.png

It's that time again! Starting with the concept:
qKcsbUP.png

From here I'm blocking out the shapes, so I can ensure that the overall proportions are good. It won't match the concept completely, since I'll be tweaking and adjusting it to look good in 3D
94CAOKv.png
ynWLeN6.png

Post edited by Hunter G on
SCE2AuxStarCruiserashleytingerpubliusrtrekkiLizzy777wibbleBolianAdmiralsrspicerlennier1and 5 others.
Tagged:

• SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    I already know I am going to love this. I really like both the Galaxy Class and your particular design style.
    Hunter G
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Can’t wait!
    Hunter G
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    I'm excited for this one! Actually I'm being commissioned by someone who wants to in turn have a physical model of this design built. I'm curious what you anyone here thinks would be a good price to charge.

I don't want to gouge the customer, but I don't want to undersell my work. This will be at a very high level of detail, and it will take a large amount of hours.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    Hunter G wrote: »
    I'm excited for this one! Actually I'm being commissioned by someone who wants to in turn have a physical model of this design built. I'm curious what you anyone here thinks would be a good price to charge.

I don't want to gouge the customer, but I don't want to undersell my work. This will be at a very high level of detail, and it will take a large amount of hours.

I know full well the pain of underselling work. Early on I did a job that I should have charged AT LEAST 5x what I had considering how much work I needed to put into it.

Check online to see what the average rates are and adjust accordingly. Some sites say $30/hr, others average it out to $50/hr USD. Some make more, others less. Freelance targets range an average of $300/day. Again, some more, others less.

10 years ago I was charging $200 to $500 for small-scale, low- to medium-detail printables for hobbyists. However, there were several models that were lined up from one of my customers (14 in total) so the overall payment was much larger. Others just ordered one or two and called it a day.

Today I get paid a lot more per model for company work.

Also, realize that your skill is only one factor that someone would need to consider. Printing out the model can also bite into their budget. The larger the print, the more it'll cost.
    ashleytingercaveat_imperatorHunter G
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Off to a wonderful start!
    Hunter G
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    edited September 2022 #7
    Great start!
    I´m anxiouslly waiting the development B)
    Post edited by Starship on
    Hunter G
  • Ael'sAel's87 FrancePosts: 69Member
    Hunter G wrote: »
    It's that time again! Starting with the concept:
    qKcsbUP.png

From here I'm blocking out the shapes, so I can ensure that the overall proportions are good. It won't match the concept completely, since I'll be tweaking and adjusting it to look good in 3D
    94CAOKv.png
    ynWLeN6.png

Ok, this is wild, can't wait to see more !
    JESpubliusrHunter Gsrspicerwolfman
    AW Fanon Wiki — — — DeviantArt — — — AW Discord (EN)
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    I've always like this one. Are you going for an AU, or Post-Dominion War model?
    Hunter G
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    edited September 2022 #10
    Not too keen on how the back section of the neck leaves the saucer (the way the hulls flow together was always one of my favorite parts of Probert's design), but I usually love your work, so I'll definitely follow this with interest.
    Post edited by lennier1 on
  • anthscoanthsco349 Raleigh, NCPosts: 71Member
    This will look fabulous in Daz3D.

Nice work so far.
    Hunter G
    JES wrote: »
    I've always like this one. Are you going for an AU, or Post-Dominion War model?

I consider it a retcon, as if it's always looked this way (just for fun). The difference in proportions and shape would be too different to be a refit of any kind.
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Not too keen on how the back section of the neck leaves the saucer (the way the hulls flow together was always one of my favorite parts of Probert's design), but I usually love your work, so I'll definitely follow this with interest.

Well it's a good thing this is just the blocking stage!
    anthsco wrote: »

Nice work so far.

Thanks! It's actually being modeled in Blender.

And thanks @Lizzy777 ! I did end up figuring the cost out with the customer. :)

Lizzy777
    I haven't gotten far, I am having major art block right now. It seems I open the file only to turn the model around over and over trying to think about what to do next. At least I may have figured out the geometry of attaching the saucer
    0N7LmY8.png
    xg6eO32.png
    adjunct37betaashleytingerBolianAdmiralStarCruisercaveat_imperatorLizzy777JESsrspicerRory1707publiusrand 1 other.
  • anthscoanthsco349 Raleigh, NCPosts: 71Member
    anthsco wrote: »

Nice work so far.

Thanks! It's actually being modeled in Blender.

[/quote]

I understood that. Was going to try my hand at converting it to OBJ once you release it.

Hunter G
  • adjunct37betaadjunct37beta188 Seattle, WAPosts: 60Member
    Watching this progress so closely! This is SO exciting!
    Hunter G
    edited November 2022 #16
    Looks like I've neglected this site!

I've had to redo the saucer/neck/engineering hull connection about 5 times, but I think I got the right curves on it now. I think I can call the blocking (infinite tweaking) stage done. Ignore the flat shading, I haven't added any support loops yet, only edge creasing
    1r7uLyM.png
    93Kkqz8.png
    rojrenStarCruiserBolianAdmiralashleytingerRory1707RekkertAel'sLizzy777wibblecaveat_imperatorand 3 others.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    This is looking great…
    Hunter G
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    Great start my friend!🖖🏾
    Hunter G
    I was scared to apply the subD, but it seems it turned out ok. At least I learned from my mistake with the 1701 and saved a copy before applying
    5NGxens.jpg
    Rory1707StarCruiserLizzy777wibbleevil_genius_180
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    I like the direction the neck/saucer interface is heading but I feel the deflector is still too similar in shape to the original. Maybe go for a slightly more angular shape? I know Andy Probert deliberately designed the deflector and warp engines to have a similar oval shape when viewed from the front, so maybe do the same thing with the more angular cross sectional engines and your deflector?
    Hunter G
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like the direction you're going with this, it will be interesting to see how your version differs from Probert's original design.
    Hunter G
    edited January 2023 #22
    I had I nice long holiday break, and I hope ya'll did too!

I redid the whole thing again, nothing to see there (just improved topology). Now the first detail work begins with the deflector:
    SbTC7bE.png
    rojrenStarCruiserbacksteptLizzy777wibbleRory1707ashleytingerevil_genius_180adjunct37betaLoopholeand 6 others.
  • backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 919Member
    I like it a lot!
    How did you go about making the glowing parts? Seems like there's a gradient or translucency in the dish part.
    Hunter G
    Looking good my friend. Happy New Year 🎊🎆🎈
    Hunter G
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    lennier1 wrote: »
    the way the hulls flow together was always one of my favorite parts of Probert's design
    This.

Otherwise, the heck with the model, that concept art looks "real"! I did a double take when I saw that you did it yourself!

Hunter G
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    I really like your deflector dish design.
    Hunter G
    The geometry is looking cleaner, and I love that fancy deflector dish - great work!
    Hunter G
    edited February 2023 #28
    backstept wrote: »
    I like it a lot!
    How did you go about making the glowing parts? Seems like there's a gradient or translucency in the dish part.
    It's both, just a basic gradient for the emission strength, and there's a translucent cover over the top

I ended up redoing the entire main body again because I still wasn't happy with the topology :#

Anyway, here's a first pass at the main impulse drive:
    A8zF0Gf.png

And a quick comparison to show how it differs from the original so far:
    AxnXnSa.png
    (Original model reference by Alexander Klemm or "Nightfever" :) )
    Rory1707StarCruisercaveat_imperatorevil_genius_180LoopholeSCE2AuxLizzy777publiusrashleytingerAel's
    Looking great my friend!
    Hunter G
    I like the way you did the back of the "neck," that looks cool.
    Hunter G
    Coming along beautifully. I like that you've deepened the lower half of the secondary Hull compared to the original Galaxy Class - it helps dispel a slight boxiness present in the original design when seen from directly fore or aft, although that was more an issue for the 4 foot shooting model than the 6 footer.
    Looking forward to more updates on this, I think it's going to turn out pretty special!
    publiusrHunter G