Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    The railing reminds me to the bridge of the movie submarine Red October. The central command area of the beridge was recessed about two steps below the rest of the bridge and had railings all around (except of course the steps). It's a great idea to give a level of separation between "workstation" and "thinkstation", but beyond that, it's of little use other than for people to bang their heads instead of falling on the captains lap whent he ships gets haken up.
    Rekkert
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    edited October 2022 #3603
    Beautiful… I love how it’s simple, utilitarian, and cozy.

I’d keep the handrails, personally.
    Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    Rekkert
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Naw, the handrail doesn't work. It's already a smaller crowded bridge.
    Rekkert
  • vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 266Member
    The handrails don't work; both not aesthetically, and in reality would just be an obstacle, not a lot worse than the platform that Capt chairs are raised on, though those at least have some 'logic' to them. Lose the rails. ;-)
    Rekkert
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited October 2022 #3606
    Haha, okey okey I'll lose the rails, I wasn't sold on them either and knew they were awkward; it just seemed like something we could've seen in a TNG bridge-of-the-week, so I needed a sanity check. ;)

@BlueNeumann: Yeah the Captain's position is a bit darker due to being right below the angled wall, it's one of those things that on a set wouldn't be a problem because they'd lit the Captain from the front anyway, so I consider it enough lighting for a "realistic" version of the bridge. :)

I made a mistake with the cases I added next to the doors, using an older version of the mesh that was much bigger than the real prop, so now I swapped it for a newer version. I might need to redesign that area a bit to account for their smaller size. :lol:
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-02.jpg?1665267367
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    Rory1707ashleytingerBolianAdmiralcaveat_imperatorDoctorShmullusStarCruiserLizzy777solaremesAel's
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    It's funny, I had a case that was modeled off of that but it had a space you plugged a walkman into with batteries and speakers to make a makeshift boombox. lol

Cracked me up everytime I saw an Engineer walking around with them
    Rekkert
    edited October 2022 #3608
    I thought those cases looked bigger than they did on the Frontier’s battle bridge, lol. That viewscreen looks even smaller than the Sutherland’s, lol.
    Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    Rekkert
    @ashleytinger: Hahaha, yeah it's a rather silly prop, but it matches the plastic future of early TNG. :p

@BolianAdmiral: Actually the previous version I was using was the one from the Frontier battle bridge, which was way too big. This new ones are the ones I made for the Potemkin shuttlebay.

I revised the paneling around the new cases and extended some of the black tape boxes, I also added some more black tape behind the Captain's chair. Plus I changed the color of both chairs to the standard TNG bridge tones in order to better match the doors and add some more splashes of color without the handrails.

I think I'm ready to call this one done, I tested some chairs for the two flanking consoles, and some carpet pattern and different colors, but I didn't like any of those alternate looks.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-07.jpg?1665372296
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-03.jpg?1665372290
    Lizzy777BolianAdmiralwibbleashleytingerRory1707DoctorShmullusStarCruisercaveat_imperatorsolaremesAel'sand 1 other.
    Beautiful!
    Rekkert
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Damn, this really turned out great!
    Rekkert
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    edited October 2022 #3612
    I feel like ships of the E-C/Stargazer era need the TNG season 1 captain's chair flip up panels. Especially for such a small ship/bridge, you'd want the captain to have more active controls on hand.
    that or maybe a panel like the First officer/counselor ones on the D. Or even defiant style side panels.
    Post edited by count23 on
    lennier1BolianAdmiralRekkert
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Thanks @BolianAdmiral and @lennier1, I'm glad you like it!

@count23: My very first idea for this bridge back when it was Stargazer era was to use the TMP Captain's chair, but then I moved it to the TNG era so I went with the standard "ship of the week" chair, used in the Sutherland, Brattain, Bozeman and many others. Does it make sense that it has no controls? Not really, but it is arguably what they would've done. As ever I like to tread the line between "real" rooms and what could've been built for a TNG episode at the time. :)

Here are the finished renders of the bridge!

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1665435894
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1665435887
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1665435881
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1665435876
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1665435871
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-lalo-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1665435864
    ashleytingerBolianAdmiralwibbleRory1707StarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorDoctorShmullussolaremesAel'sand 2 others.
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    Great job as usual my friend! Glad to see you back if only for a short time! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
    I have to stop saying I'll do several of these in quick succession hahaha, it's been a month and a half and I had the itch to do something totally different yesterday, so I started work on my first starship corridor system, for the USS Yeager. I did a few short corridor segments before, but this is a full "stage". The style I'm going for, like the rest of the Yeager, is mostly inspired on the Enterprise-E, but with some Defiant and original elements mixed in.

It's still quite early (again, I started this yesterday), but the general layout is in place. The lift is mostly done other than LCARS and capsule labels. The small corridor leading up to it is also nearly finished. The wider corridor however is quite unfinished, for now it's walls are just copies of the thinner corridor style walls, but I intend to modify them with handrails, access panels, more doors need to be added, etc. The carpet's unfinished as well, I have no idea yet what pattern or colors I'll use on it.

Overall I'm quite happy with how fast this was to do, I created everything in a modular fashion so it's just cloned segments which auto-update when one's modified; super easy to add more segments, modify the layout, etc. And the whole thing's just 1.5 MB in size!

tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2022-11-26-20-05-19.jpg?1669505426
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-01.jpg?1669505467
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-02.jpg?1669505458
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-03.jpg?1669505451
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-04.jpg?1669505446
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-05.jpg?1669505440
    ashleytingerRory1707caveat_imperatorLizzy777trekkiBolianAdmiralDoctorShmullusevil_genius_180StarCruiserLeoBerlinand 4 others.
    My only complaint, not nearly enough doors ;) It's a great start!
    Rekkert
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    Awesome start my friend! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Nice work
    Rekkert
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Oh, I like these! Comfortable, maybe a bit too dark, but totally feels Trek in just the right way.
    Rekkert
    Wow… very nice… and very clean look to the design!
    Rekkert
    @ashleytinger: Those are coming! :D

Thanks @Rory1707 and @trekki!

@BlueNeumann: I agree on the darkness, I hope the added color will help but I'll do another pass on the lighting near the end.

@BolianAdmiral: Thanks, glad you think so!

Some more progress on the corridor. I've added handrails and angled panels near the floor on the curved segments, plus a few other minor changes. I've also added a pattern to the carpet and decided to have it red, not only does this mimic the Enterprise-E carpets, it also matches nicely with the doors I believe and adds a bit more color.

As far as layout, I added a Jefferies tube access on the angled wall segment (first image), to break up the pattern a bit and have some color with the LCARS on top. Plus I removed the door-less archway at the end of the curved corridor, to open up the space a bit more (second image). This archway was originally based on a similar one seen in Insurrection, but it didn't work as well here given the thinner corridors.

tadeo-d-oria-c0-08.jpg?1669580751
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-07.jpg?1669579951
    Rory1707evil_genius_180BolianAdmiralashleytingerStarCruiserDoctorShmullusLeoBerlinwibbleLizzy777PreVizand 1 other.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I don't know why, but I really like that tiny bridge. The ship it's from is cool too.

Nice start on the corridors. :+1:
    Rekkert
    @evil_genius_180: Hahaha, thanks Chris, nice to see you around here again! :)

Added in the doors to the segmented corridors, I did a little sketch to try and create a natural looking arrangement and leave enough space for rooms behind each door. I also decided to leave one wall segment empty, I'll be adding a large LCARS display there, again based on the same Insurrection corridor set I mentioned on the last post.

tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2022-11-27-20-20-21.jpg?1669592205
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-09.jpg?1669592223
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-10.jpg?1669592215
    darkthunderevil_genius_180BolianAdmiralRory1707ashleytingerStarCruiserDoctorShmullusLeoBerlinwibbleLizzy777and 2 others.
    I REALLY, REALLY love that Jefferies Tube access wall… nicely done!
    Rekkert
    Not much time to work on the corridor these past few days, but I did some more progress. I ended up modifying the standard wall material I've been using on the ceiling, support columns and door alcoves; to make it a bit lighter and less shiny. That way it better matches the Ent-E corridor pallet and it contrasts a lot better with the darker metallic brown of the main wall segments.

I also added removable access panels at the top of the curved corridor segments, and blue light strips on top of all the corridor walls, I think it adds a nice color contrast to the reds on the doors and carpets.

tadeo-d-oria-c0-10a.jpg?1669774750
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-12.jpg?1669774743
    ashleytingerPreVizwibbleevil_genius_180DoctorShmullusStarCruiserBolianAdmiralLeoBerlinLizzy777caveat_imperatorand 2 others.
    Love that look!
    Rekkert
  • DoctorShmullusDoctorShmullus54 Posts: 37Member
    Nice work! I would love to see the corridor under Red Alert
    Rekkert
    @ashleytinger: Thanks!

@DoctorShmullus: I plan on doing that! ;)

Added more small details like appropriate door labels, soft edges to the carpeting, etc. I also worked further on the curved corridor walls, adding access panels below the railing and changing the panels above it to fabric, as I think the extra bit of color helps. Can't say I'm 100% sold on my solution though, thoughts on this?

tadeo-d-oria-c0-10a.jpg?1670122078
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-13.jpg?1670122071
    Rory1707caveat_imperatorwibbleevil_genius_180DoctorShmullusBolianAdmiralStarCruiserLizzy777PreVizashleytingerand 2 others.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    edited December 2022 #3629
    Really coming along! Actually, I can imagine that these could be like the engineering section corridors, with the earlier ones being for the saucer section, so you can just "tell" which part of the ship you're in (a part of Trek design I think gets overlooked. So if you're on the fence about the upper colour, perhaps you could take a page from the Cerritos exterior design, with the above lining being the department colour. So based off that, you can have saucer-command, saucer-security, saucer-medical, then stardrive-command, stardrive-engineering, and stardrive-science. With that TNG lavender for the living quarters, perhaps?)
    Post edited by BlueNeumann on
    scifiericRekkert
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    One thing I always love about your work is your eye for detail. Adding all of those little markings, whether or not they'll be legible in most renders, really help the set come alive and seem like it's a functional area of a ship, rather than just a generic corridor. (yes, I realize that's exactly what it is)

I agree with BlueNeuman, changing the color to the department color might make it pop a bit more. However, I do like the way that looks. The light beige color is a nice contrast to the gray.
    scifiericBolianAdmiralRekkert
    @BlueNeumann: I agree that it's something most Trek productions paid little mind to (stage space is finite, after all), but with the Yeager being such a small ship, I don't think it would be a good fit for it. :)

@evil_genius_180: Thanks! It's all just random numbers of course. :joy:

Worked on the lift LCARS today, a small and relatively simple graphic, yet I'm very happy with the end result if I may say so myself.

tadeo-d-oria-c0-14.jpg?1670230990
    Rory1707PreVizscifiericevil_genius_180ashleytingerDoctorShmullusStarCruiserBolianAdmiralwibbleWarp Propulsion Laboratoryand 1 other.