Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTOS Constitution Reboot (Finished)

• Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    edited May 2022 #662
    Not quite sure what you're trying to do (since I too hate unwrapping). But maybe this is what you're after?

How to Flatten UV Islands (Blender Tutorial)

Post edited by Lizzy777 on
    Hunter G
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    edited May 2022 #663
    I forget what app your using but in max uvw unwrap you can adjust the polies in the 2d view so I just manually readjust the distance of the stretched out edges so the preview map will align in the viewport.

following is a visual example of what I mean. Also keep in mind it all sort of works in reverse to what you expect. There might be relax tools you can use too max though haws rudimentary tools and most of it has to be done by hand that I know of. EG I cannot constrain a relax to a particular direction. Hell max does not even have a grow selection tool just a broken loop tool.

uvw-manual-01.png?w=600

uvw-manual-02.png?w=600

and yes technicly you want your unwrap to be in the proper aspec ratio something max does not respect as direct uv unwrap leaves you with the map scrunched into a "fit" mode. Eitherway all pointless if you are not using max BUT I hope it might help some with ideas and what might be avalible with what you ARE using.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Hunter G
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    Not quite sure what you're trying to do (since I too hate unwrapping). But maybe this is what you're after?

How to Flatten UV Islands (Blender Tutorial)

I'll have to try that thanks!
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I forget what app your using but in max uvw unwrap you can adjust the polies in the 2d view so I just manually readjust the distance of the stretched out edges so the preview map will align in the viewport.

following is a visual example of what I mean. Also keep in mind it all sort of works in reverse to what you expect. There might be relax tools you can use too max though haws rudimentary tools and most of it has to be done by hand that I know of. EG I cannot constrain a relax to a particular direction. Hell max does not even have a grow selection tool just a broken loop tool.

uvw-manual-01.png?w=600

uvw-manual-02.png?w=600

and yes technicly you want your unwrap to be in the proper aspec ratio something max does not respect as direct uv unwrap leaves you with the map scrunched into a "fit" mode. Eitherway all pointless if you are not using max BUT I hope it might help some with ideas and what might be avalible with what you ARE using.

I am able to adjust the mesh manually in 2D view, It's just really tedious with the n-ons haha. I'm not sure if Blender has a "relax" option, but I might be able to find an addon or something that does something similar. Thanks for the ideas! If worst comes to worst I'll just have to spend the time and manually do it
    merritt258
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    edited May 2022 #665
    Loop tools might have something, but I am not sure if it works in the uv editor. ... No it does not :\
    Post edited by kaden on
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    kaden wrote: »
    Loop tools might have something, but I am not sure if it works in the uv editor. ... No it does not :\
    yeah you would thing the logic or methods used in one area would spill over to another for ease of use. But nope the uv unwrapper still stands out like some other companies tool. Which it likely was at one point. :D
    what would be cool is on things like the rim you could do a cyl projection define the seam (vs the default which is always in the wrong place) then define a lateral position to "roll" the uvw so selecting a edge running top to bottom then allow that path to map based on distance as a unwrap.
    oh well gotta do with what one has to get the job done. >_>

To note there is a edge loop or grow but it does strange things like growing in a loop pattern in poly mode which just seems extremely useless. EG makes a growing doughnut shape vs just growing to the nearest poly. The loop often has issues cause max will often detach edges and double them on the seam so your loop is incomplete and you end up selecting things one at a time. The tools I refer to are to the left of the paintbrush in the above images. They might have better luck at being useful to some but often I just find other ways to do what I need.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    edited May 2022 #667
    Sorry....unless I'm misunderstanding, there is Grow Selection in Unwrap...
    Also, if you want to use ring and loop tools and you have detached edges, it's best to use the selection tools on the Modify panel, instead of in the UV window. Using the Ring and Loop tools in the Modify window will complete the loops and rings, instead of stopping at the detached edges like the tools in the Edit UVW's window does. Stupid, I know.

7e6b1b38fh1a.png

Thre is also a great tool in Unwrap UVW called "Unfold Strip from Loop" and "Spline map, which can be very helpful in unwrapping things like hoses, arches, cylinders, curving panels, etc.

Post edited by japetus on
    lewisniven
  • Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    Hunter G wrote: »
    Ok, I'm wondering if any of you modelers have insight on this.
    Hey dude! I might have a video that's helpful:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/12oDpOoVMEWeyyqTJ2la8fGYAcXTsM-Cw/view?usp=sharing
    I'm using this tool to set the density in that example:
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/texel-density-tool
    There's definitely a bunch of different tricks you can do to resolve this UV distortion...good luck!

• japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Theres also the "when in doubt flatten by angle" and hand stitch things back together be selecting edges method where at least you know things won't have smeared UVs
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    edited June 2022 #670
    Do those suggestions have a Blender equivalent?
    Hunter G wrote: »
    I am able to adjust the mesh manually in 2D view, It's just really tedious with the n-ons haha. I'm not sure if Blender has a "relax" option, but I might be able to find an addon or something that does something similar. Thanks for the ideas! If worst comes to worst I'll just have to spend the time and manually do it
    I'm actually kind of curious about this one myself.
    Post edited by seanr on
    I ended up manually adjusting the rim UVs. It didn't take as long as I thought, but it was still a pain.

Now I just need to get out of my art block so I can finish the textures, it's the one thing holding me back from finishing this project.
    Rory1707Lizzy777
    edited June 2022 #672
    I loved the impulse effect from the JJ movies, so I'm trying to figure it out. I think I got pretty close. The only problem is there's a little too much "flickering", while the effect in the movies is more smooth
    [url="
    f0QymG2.jpg
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    trekkicaveat_imperatorRory1707RekkertAel'sashleytingerLoopholeLizzy777StarCruiserwibbleand 2 others.
    edited July 2022 #673
    Progress is slow but steady. This is the last progress picture I'll be posting until I'm done, however long that takes. I just have to finish the secondary hull and nacelle textures.
    7zAOqth.jpg
    rojrenwibbleRory1707ashleytingerStarCruiserxiaorobearLizzy777RekkertAel'ssrspicerand 5 others.
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    edited July 2022 #674
    So beautiful my friend! Take your time…you can’t rush perfection! ☺️ 🖖🏾
    Post edited by Rory1707 on
    Hunter G
  • xiaorobearxiaorobear682 Posts: 171Member
    Just incredibly good. I wish SNW's shaders and textures looked like yours!
    Hunter G
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    That is VERY pretty work!
    Hunter G
    edited August 2022 #677
    This lady's place is finally in the finished works folder! I'm still adding details/tweaking things, but that's just finishing touches. Some images to celebrate:
    viM8ljT.png
    Kru5odO.png
    RNcwhKq.png
    RJN4mUu.png

Bonus:
    W54Xock.jpg

lennier1Warp Propulsion LaboratorywibbleSCE2AuxscifiericRory1707caveat_imperatorStarCruiserpubliusrtrekkiand 10 others.
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    Congratulations! It's a masterpiece. Looking forward to all the great artwork you will do with her.
    Hunter G
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    What a stunner!
    Hunter G
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I love this update on her. SOOO SOOO good
    Hunter G
    Beautiful update for a beautiful Starship. Great job my friend! 🖖🏾
    Hunter G
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I think I've pinpointed part of why I like your ship so much. She looks graceful and all that but she has this weight to her that makes her look and feel more real, like I could reach out and run my hand along the hull.
    Rory1707wibbleHunter G
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    STUNNING. I absolutely love it. Agree with Ashley that it's got a weight to it, it doesn't just look like the models we have on our desks.

And the lighting is fantastic.
    Hunter G
  • StarCruiserStarCruiser363 Posts: 44Member
    MUCH more in keeping with the clean lines of the original. Love it.
    Hunter G
  • shipfishershipfisher371 Posts: 115Member
    Alright everyone. You can stop rebooting, re-imagining and updating the original USS Enterprise NCC-1701, because we have a winner, and this beauty is it.

Thank you Hunter G. Please take your place on the podium. John Eaves will stand in for Matt Jefferies as honorary presenter of the award.
    Hunter G
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    She walks In beauty, like the Night
    Of cloudless climes and starry skies…
    Hunter G
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Wow !
    Hunter G
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    Is the "Ships of the Line" Calender still produced? 'cause you would have to contribute an image.
    Hunter G
    I appreciate the kind words and feedback over the years! After this post, I'll be posting all renders in the finished works folder. Discussion is still always welcome here however :)
    I think I've pinpointed part of why I like your ship so much. She looks graceful and all that but she has this weight to her that makes her look and feel more real, like I could reach out and run my hand along the hull.
    STUNNING. I absolutely love it. Agree with Ashley that it's got a weight to it, it doesn't just look like the models we have on our desks.

And the lighting is fantastic.

I'm glad that came across!
    wibble wrote: »
    Is the "Ships of the Line" Calender still produced? 'cause you would have to contribute an image.

I believe it is, though I don't know where to enter for that

edited August 2022 #690
    Here are some Orthos:
    jQ0t7hM.png
    fwIT18p.png
    uxosUYR.png
    azT4VSh.png
    vBjylFj.png

Some tweaks I did:
    -Shrunk the girth of the nacelles a little bit
    -Redid the inner nacelle grills (made the holes bigger so they would show up better in renders)
    -Adjusted some of the materials
    -Changed the registry font
    -Numbered the escape pods and added yellow pinstriping
    -Updated the textures for some of the doors/hatches
    Rory1707rojrenwibbleStarCruisersrspicertrekkiLizzy777caveat_imperatorAel'sadjunct37betaand 3 others.
    I love it! Great job my friend! 🖖🏾
    Hunter G