Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPen and ink ships since I can't model

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    edited April 2020 #602
    More robots, naturally.

a77e904f9d1c4e5cbccb7d17f90b5190fe684f45.jpg

Gotta go design a bunch of leg concepts for all these torso-only machines.
    Post edited by BlueNeumann on
    Nathan RubricFreakStarriggerLizzy777StarCruiser
    Dear lords I can't believe it's been so long since I posted anything. I've been drawing, don't you worry about that, but not much of robots, ships, or anything that would suit the forum. I DID however conceive this sucker last night which I'm very happy with, the Crawling Carriage.

2b8f57c7de8f28803c390c96625bc84156609784.jpg

It's more fantasy than SF (nothing wrong with that), and it definitely needs a bit of refinement and engineering, but I like it even if I don't have a place for it yet. I also feel like an idiot for it taking almost the whole page for me to think "you should model it after your left hand so you can actually SEE it when you're drawing."
    StarriggerLizzy777komaroStarCruiser
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Almost Tholian
    Some more retrofuturistic laptop designs for ya.

3e6dbb67c7f3bf64209f23126ee4ae8d402fc749.jpg
    33686b45a4898a459ad050f18b138fa2c7466c88.jpg
    7a3012adecb77de10f96e129ef95e9189cde168d.jpg
    Lizzy777FreakkomaroStarCruiserpubliusr
    Been a hot minute since I posted anything on here. Sorry I don't have any new ship designs, those have been fleeting. But two new robots, so that's something. Enjoy!

cd612eb0b6eec332c63248881c3058d4e0d4910d.jpg

This lumpy guy is inspired by an overbokehed silhouette, hence the strange proporions and lights. I'd love to play around with this some more, I bet I could pull some interesting attitude out of him.

This second one is... different.

bfe0d338bdaf4dc33fe6dcc6e9659e6cc71acfb6.jpg

For an anime inspired half-idea called Hazardolls (technically Valkyrie Goddess Hazardolls, VERY 80s/90s anime) that I don't think I'm going to do much with so I can post it on here. Three awesome women in battle armour fighting unholy monsters, how can you go wrong. This is me trying to brainstorm ideas for the basic armour, roughing out shapes and plates based on musculature and so on. There's no... iconic identity to it yet, but I kinda like what I have thus far.

This one might be a bit risque for the forum, so if there's an issue, let me know.
    Lizzy777StarCruiser
    edited July 2021 #607
    5c55c630d3ea5e0d5b2d0af6511d71fc20d08b6d.jpg

Drew this on my walk, tiny little drawing (this was in a custom-made pocket-sized sketchbook I had made, it's the size of an old iPhone or iPod). It's meant to be a near-futuristic cargo ship. I definitely want to do a bigger version with GOOD wings on it and fit the flight deck a bit better.

(measured this: the drawing is 5 x 2.5 inches!)
    Lizzy777StarCruiserStarriggerpubliusr
    Maybe this guy sounds like an accordion when he walks.

35f694773a79e81af4e428adb960d2b6142ac1ec.jpg
    Lizzy777StarCruiser
    Concepts for a futuristic motorcycle with spherical (or almost spherical) tires.

e9b33c116ddfee14477b5e8da460cc05248b2724.jpg
    Lizzy777StarCruiser
    6 months since my last post? I've been drawing, don't worry about that. Keeping a rewilding sketchbook, which is fun but very long term, so not much to share. And what I've been doing leans more into the robot and mecha design... which is still sci-fi, and if I have something cool, I'll share. But here's something in connection to our first love, spaceships!

4e7d11082812f2c7734339aeb48680c924a67fab.jpg
    An eager young space cadet! I just had the idea for the character and had to put her down, inspired a bit by the sneak peaks of Star Trek Resurgence and that feeling of being on a starship again.

7034604d73fb50863dbc2f623db4b97ae5dc8b75.jpg
    And a Y2K-ish standing console with LCARS, done on a scrap page. Just thought it looked kinda nice.
    Lizzy777publiusrkomaroStarCruiserStarriggerscifieric
    edited June 2022 #611
    Not SF but a little more fantasy-ish.

e271c0ad4bdfaaf2be03f0f944b85587bbdaea37.jpg

Inside a cave with its entrance to the water, a pirate ship smashed against the stone dock, dead in front of an ancient temple.

Lukewarm on this execution but it's a rough draft. Designed without knowing what exactly I want.

edit:

I didn't realize my last post was "Eager Young Space Cadet" (and I also didn't realize that was only three months ago!) I did some samuria robot designs recently that aren't finished but... I feel like I should share some of them with y'all since my updates have been few and far between and those technically qualify as SF. Haven't done ships in a while, though.

There's also something I've been meaning to do for years and years which this sketch made me really feel: I've been wanting to revisit all of Blue Planet and draw from it, I think that'd be great practice as well as spark a bunch of ideas. But it's a big project so it always felt daunting.
    StarCruiserLizzy777Starriggerscifieric
    I can model or draw well. But, then too--I may not have to...

Look at this:
    https://techxplore.com/news/2022-06-artistic-images-based-text-descriptions.html

Researchers at University of Waterloo and New York University Courant Institute have recently created an AI tool that can automatically generate unique artistic images based on text descriptions. Their method, introduced in a paper pre-published on arXiv, is based on a dynamic memory generative adversarial network (DM-GAN), a model based on two artificial neural networks that work together to generate increasingly convincing images.

"We create an end-to-end solution that can generate artistic images from text descriptions," Qinghe Tian and Pr. Jean-Claude Franchitti wrote in their paper.
    Those Ai can be fun but... honestly, drawing a thing is part of understanding a thing. AI might be good for brainstorming or throwing a lot of spaghetti against a wall... and there's definitely some stuff I want to throw at Dall-E, but it's not the same to me.

Okay, new sketch, head design for a rat drone.

20202d0e26cb54969a6188f325097ab696250b01.jpg
    Lizzy777StarCruiser
    Very nice! I only threw the AI out there as a preliminary story board source. Then your finished work comes later and is imputed.

Over time, the AI can get used to each artists style and be more helpful.
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Hey Blue, been awhile for me, good to see you are still plugging away. Keep up the great work!
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    edited June 2022 #616
    Thanks Rigger, great to hear from you! Glad you're liking these. Sorry I don't have more ships, it's been mostly robots. My story ideas have been mostly earth-bound, dealing with people and machines. I did do some rough updates to the Vengeance megazord but not a full redesign. Still, might be worth posting.

420840_1275412387769_392_300.jpg
    "I like robots. They're .... efficient."

I need to get back to the Iron Star, feels like it's been a hot minute since I did any work on that. It deserves a pilot script, I just gotta figure out how the characters get there in the first place.
    Love your writing too. The treatment you did on my script was fantastic! Wish I had filmed it.. life....

I have done some rethink on my universe. I am now thinking that it will be bound to our solar system with ConGlom in the process of building a Dyson ring near the orbit of Mars. It's being built in smaller self contained sections with the Seeders being the construction crews. Mars and the rest of the outer bodies are the resources.

At this point in time ConGlom controls mankind's energy resources and transportation (In particular space travel). My story arc will investigate what would happen if a disruptive technology (FTL?) was discovered that could topple their strangle hold.

(Hmmm, that just got me going down the rabbit hole.... What about being able to convert matter into a data stream and shooting it from place to place in a beam of light..... The day before you go on a trip you check into the Zap motel and have your DNA copied and your brain cell structure analyzed and Datafied, and you wake up the next morning at your destination. - that could lead to all sorts of ethical dilemmas - what do you do with the doppelganger back home?..)
    BTW - I'm going through and relinking the earlier images in this thread.
    edited June 2022 #619
    Oh brilliiant!

The Trip Pod thing reminds me of Dark Matter, they had these pods you'd go into and it would create a clone puppet of you at your destination. And when you were done or it died, you'd just wake up where you started. No long travel time, no packing... it's brilliant!

And shooting from place to place ina beam of light is how i pictured the transporters in Star Trek working, they dont' disassemble you and reassemble you, they map out your whole cellular structure, create a matching hole at the other end, and shoot you down.

Definitely like the idea of a disruptive technology, there's a little Cory Doctorow meets James S A Corey to that idea. Kids vs the evil mega corp.

I can see the Dyson Ring being a real hypercaptalist micro-charges everywhere kind of place, everything's expensive so kids gotta find their own fun, which means getting into trouble.
    edited June 2022 #620
    Hey Blue, taking another run at the plant ship:

I'm thinking of doing the windows/solar collectors in shades of green...

If you like, print these, pull out your markers and go to town..

Hey that gives me an idea, maybe you and I should publish an adult coloring book with a SciFi theme

p76cmecubjm5.jpg
    nu4183y468kn.jpg

this is a tedious job...

cvtfwkynxhoy.jpg

Post edited by Starrigger on
    StarCruiser
    Ha! I remember having the idea of making a colouring book for my little cousins for Christmas, then I realzied how few of my drawings are actually usable for that.

That plant ship's got kind of a Vorlon feel to it, it's pretty cool. I'm trying to remember if this is the "an entire jungle in a glass" ship or the ship that's inspired by a banana leaf (I don't know if I've ever done a good render of that). Or is this like the Black Sunflower?

I can see this being a seed ship, not the main jungle but like after the events of Iron Star, where Eden's people got their ship back, they start building a fleet.
    A Tardis-inspired interior that I've been toying with in my head. I finally had the basics of an idea so I thought I would put it down and get some response.

10e310ac9e680510d2180a786e5042d09c02da51.jpg

The idea was to hit that late 80s/ealry 90s PALwave-turns-Betacam aesthetic, basically an early 90s Doctor Who. Better cameras picking up more detail and colours, and I wanted to change the layout a bit.

Now the room is split into three spaces, the command post which has the console which has to be used more actively: joysticks, levers, aesthetic. The console faces the 'lab" space, with a wall of monitors that provide feedback as well as other instruments. The third space is the "lounge" which is meant to have a seat and a lounger, as well as a bookshelf and anything else to give it a "homey" touch (this is also where the coat stand would be, next to the egress door while any equipment for the outside would be on the other side, on the command post space.

The walls would be those white packing pallets with lights shining behind, and some details on a layer in front, probably pipes or something like that.

Above each door is a monitor showing different status things (the one above the egress door shows the outside world, for example).
    StarCruiserLizzy777
    So I've been keeping a pocket sketchbook with me as I walk.. mostly to make notes about how to organize the massive library I listen to, but every now and then I'll sketch down interesting shapes or ideas.

But today... I got caught out in the rain and got drenched, with water encroaching on the corners of the pages. So I pulled out the sketches and scanned them. This is the one I like the most.

1f820bfb2829297546488ef62abe49aab73eb77d.jpg

Basically it's the udnerside of a space concorde type ship, I'm imagining black panels, maybe the whole back is one long thruster. The fuselage is flat and sleek.
    Lizzy777StarCruiser
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    Getting a bit of starship Destiny vibes from Stargate: Universe.
    publiusr
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Oh yeah, I can kinda see that... though thinking it's much smaller.
    Lizzy777
    edited August 2022 #626
    I wound up seeing a fair amount of videos about houseboats and yachts today... which led to quite a few sketches. I'm going to finish them off and ideally mash them up with some other influences since I think a few might be useful for Iron Star and Sprinter, but for now, here's this sketch I did modifying and "hulking" out a motor to something that might suit a smaller spaceship. I just wanted something different than your usual glowing quantum core.

bd425d163c1d06ab0b1411b906e8f90b47fcb2c2.jpg

I'm thinking it's called the Hammerhead, though looking at it, it looks a bit more like a Ram.

So while sketching out my ideas, I kind of had the idea that the Sprinter would be modular.. I don't think the whole thing should be modular because that might not be spaceworthy but also every room would have the same dimensions and that would be boring, but I could see the kitchen, bathroom, and maybe the crew cabins being replaceable modules... though it still takes hours, and even in the future they'll make minor changes so that there's not total compatibility. They want to be able to sell you new ships, after all.
    Lizzy777ashleytingerStarCruiserpubliusr
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    Love that engine idea
    scifieric
    aa404501ee2784b810c1d4127fe5a80490f14b32.jpg

Klingon/Romulan style warships, inspired by AI-generated art.
    StarCruiserLizzy777
    Oh hey, this is a longshot, but I'm wondering if anyone on here has a higher resolution shot of this picture from the Voyager pilot... I've only been able to find a 320x240 but I'm certain there has to be a sharper image than that.

8153349b1eb6f6c01622d4f395993bfe.jpg?itok=UTrGd5J9
    publiusr
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    Did you try trekcore.com?
    Yeah, I also tried reverse image search on Google and that's the only size to come up. Since it's a publicity still and not a screencap, I gotta figure there's a higher res version out there somewhere (I found a different angle in an old Star Trek magazine, but not that image)