Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited July 2022 #3572
    @Rory1707: Thanks mate! Cool pictures from Ticonderoga btw, some coworkers of mine were also there the same day, I hope to be able to go myself sometime soonish.

@DoctorShmullus: That's a good idea I hadn't considered, gonna have to do some research!

@BolianAdmiral: I do plan to play with other colors for the chairs and/or sofa, but the lilac on the walls certainly stays and is intentional, not only because it's it's the same color as on the other Appalachia rooms, but also because I think it's underused in Trek precisely due to gender stereotypes.

@BlueNeumann: Regarding the warmer colors to the walls or stuff like that, I feel like that's something more of a ship-wide design choice that maybe isn't down to the Captain; plus an important part of coming up with so many Trek interiors over the past several years was to keep each ship cohesive with itself, sometimes even more so than on the shows.

I also don't want to overdo it, this is still a work environment first and foremost; so just some personal items here and there like we saw on the Enterprise-D/E and Voyager. Perhaps their quarters would have a far more complex decor. As far as religion, I don't intend to add much hinting at that, again mostly just to keep it in line with Trek's more secular future; and to not fall into the cliche of Arab immediately meaning Muslim, which is far from true. I do really like the idea of the astrolabe and the pottery though, I'll look into adding that! :D

@Warp Propulsion Laboratory: That's a good idea; unfortunately the last ready room I did also has an Excelsior-Class ship model, so I wouldn't want to repeat myself there hahaha.

Started adding some of that decor, and decided now that I have the income to do so (and that I've seen that pretty much everyone else does it, it isn't as frowned upon as I once thought), I'd rather buy some assets as they're of a higher quality than I could do on the time I've got. For the longest of time I resisted this due to feeling like I have to make everything myself, but for decor like this which I'll probably only use once, I think it's a better approach. I might do so with plants as well, just to add some more variety to the ones I've already got.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-15.jpg?1658987448
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-16.jpg?1658987443
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777Rory1707PreVizDoctorShmullusashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratorywibbleAel'sStarCruiserand 2 others.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I agree with keeping the lilac on that walls, as I feel it works there. But one of my main gripes with the TNG Ready Room was how literally the whole room was the same watermelon red color… it was just way too much of one color in that room, lol… but yeah, I like what you’re doing.
    Rekkert
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Looks great! And really, if the items are out there and are free/cheap for a one-off set, why not? And realistically, that's how TNG/TOS did it alot for some props and background items anyway. *shrugs*
    Rekkert
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Those ornaments you added are a great touch and add just the right amount of color. There's absolutely no shame in importing pre-made elements into your scene. Arch-viz people do it all the time, especially with vegetation.
    Rekkert
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Oh, I just saw this on Twitter, of Chefchaoen, Morocco. If you want a strong colour for the furniture, this looks pretty darn good.

FY22S4xWQAMcgB7?format=jpg&name=small
    Rekkert
    Hadn't had time to work on this for a while... Today I've added some more decor and shuffled things around a bit. Added an astrolabe as @BlueNeumann suggested, and a tea cup from the USS Al-Batani as a reference of @Warp Propulsion Laboratory's idea, among other decorative pieces.

Even on props I bought (5 in total) I ended up modifying all the materials, so that the colors work well together and the room isn't so grey anymore; I think it ended up with a nice pallet. Other than maybe adding a pattern on the floor I think I'm done with this room; what are your thoughts? Am I missing something?

tadeo-d-oria-c1-17.jpg?1659784961
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-18.jpg?1659786662
    trekkiRory1707ashleytingerLizzy777DoctorShmullusBolianAdmiralStarCruiserWarp Propulsion Laboratorywibblecaveat_imperatorand 4 others.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice, love it!
    Rekkert
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    Awesome my friend. Love how this one turned out! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
    Looks great.
    Rekkert
    I’d leave it as it is… going by that last render, it looks just right… I think adding any more to it would clutter it up too much. Just my two cents.
    Rekkert
    Thanks for the feedback!

I included the aforementioned carpet pattern on the upper level, but that's it as far as changes, here's the finished room!

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1659847886
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1659846030
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1659846024
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1659846017
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1659846011
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1659846004
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-appalachia-ready-room-cutaway.jpg?1659845997
    BolianAdmiralRory1707ashleytingerraztovDoctorShmulluswibbleLizzy777darkthunderStarCruisercaveat_imperatorand 3 others.
    Outstanding, as usual.
    Rekkert
    Total Awesomeness my friend. Great job as usual! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
  • DoctorShmullusDoctorShmullus54 Posts: 37Member
    Fantastic work as always! It was interesting to see the different iterations of the room as it came together.
    Rekkert
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    the nook in the wall behind the desk looks very Orville inspired.
    Rekkert
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    count23 wrote: »
    the nook in the wall behind the desk looks very Orville inspired.

That's actually a nod to Picard's ready room on the Enterprise-E:
    t220de3xuwrz.png
    Rory1707BolianAdmiralRekkertseanrsrspicer
    edited October 2022 #3588
    Not having much free time lately, but last weekend playing around with stuff I came up with this very compact Enterprise-C/Stargazer era bridge, I planned to use it for an Oberth-Class ship but it's way too small for that IMO, so I decided to move it up to the TNG era and make it the bridge of the ill-fated USS Lalo, the small Mediterranean-Class freighter destroyed by the Borg in BoBW.

I already have ideas for other rooms in such a small craft intended for short range missions, so I intend to do 1 or 2 more directly after the bridge, starting with sickbay.

As you can see most stuff's already in place, though the colors aren't necessarily final. I still have to add LCARS, detailing on the walls, dedication plaque, and other details. Not to mention finishing the ceiling and adding more light. I don't think I'll add chairs for the two stations flanking the Captain.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1664607998
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1664607991

Also, I should probably mention that last month Modiphius released the Utopia Planitia sourcebook for Star Trek Adventures, for which I had the pleasure of providing a couple bridge renders, including a TOS one which I did from scratch for the publication. Beyond being involved and all the excitement from that, after reading the copy I got I also genuinely really liked the book, as it contains a lot of new, cleverly written and well researched in-universe information about the ships and history of Starfleet, which is really cool to read if you like the topic, even if like me you're not an STA player. It's quite expensive for the physical copy, but I know they're planning on releasing just the PDF version down the line, just like they do with all their books.
    trekkiLeoBerlinwibbleLizzy777ashleytingerAel'sRory1707BolianAdmiralcaveat_imperatorStarCruiserand 2 others.
    Gahh! It's not out until November!

This looks great so far!
    Rekkert
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Gahh! It's not out until November!

This looks great so far!

And the torpedo launchers won't be installed until Tuesday! 😁
    Rory1707Rekkert
    I really love that Lalo bridge!
    Rekkert
    Like clockwork to showcase how much of a terrible salesman I am (not that I get paid or anything), the Utopia Planitia PDF was released today, so uh, if you want to check it out, now you can actually buy it! :lol:

Some more progress on the Lalo I did during the weekend. I tweaked the colors a bit and begun filling the LCARS. I decided to go with the "cheaper" sticker style keyboards often seen in TNG such as on the USS Sutherland bridge, to show this is far from a ship-of-the-line. I also went with a top view MSD style graphic above the Captain, as I imagine that's something they'd done on TNG to quickly establish the ship, I still have to add more details to it though. Also, the ceiling is a bit more developed.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-04.jpg?1664839466
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1664839461
    Rory1707StarCruiserashleytingertrekkiBolianAdmiralDoctorShmullusLizzy777caveat_imperatorWarp Propulsion LaboratoryAel'sand 1 other.
    Awesome job my friend! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
    Very nice! And I picked up the book ;)
    Rekkert
    I love the beautiful simplicity of that bridge!

I looked at the.pdf for the book... saw your wonderful renders in it!
    Rekkert
    edited October 2022 #3596
    Glad you're all liking the Lalo bridge (and the book :lol:)!

Slowly did some more progress when time allowed during the week. I've finished the MSD (I always preferred top views than the cutaway style graphic, despite having already done one of those for the Mediterranean I could've adapted) and the other two overhead LCARS. I've also done more work on the ceiling, I went for a look based on the TNG cybernetics lab, sans the central piece as I didn't want to overcomplicate it. Plus I added more details on the side walls, and some black tape detailing all over the bridge, including on the helm console, which now also has a plant-on with more white and blue sticker LCARS to match the other stations.

I still need to finish the carpet pattern, add some more details to the front end of the bridge, have something on the wall behind the Captain's chair (I have no idea what to put there), and a few other bits.

tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1665039911
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1665039129
    Rory1707trekkiashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryDoctorShmullusBolianAdmiralStarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorAel's
    You know that green textured wall in the TNG transporter room? How about a gray version of that behind the captain's chair? Make it stand out a bit (i feel like having a backlit thing might draw too much attention, and thinking of it in practical terms like a set, could make ti difficult to film.
    Rekkert
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    This bridge looks really cozy, and I mean that in the best way possible. Just you and your friends exploring space together.
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    edited October 2022 #3599
    @Warp Propulsion Laboratory: Or get you and your friends assimilated, in this case :wink:

I tried a lot of different paneling for the wall behind the Captain: TNG transporter room greebles (thanks @BlueNeumann for the suggestion!); segmented panels like those on the Potemkin ready room; acoustic panels; and everything in between. In the end I went for some plexi panels with white tape lines, I think they frame the Captain nicely while also matching the little panels above the doors.

Other than that, I've added a ton of red capsule labels everywhere and black taping, going hard on the TNG set-of-the-week aesthetic. I think I'll leave the floor as it is, without any sort of two tone pattern, being such a small set I don't think it needs it.

As you can see the first two images are posted twice with a not so subtle difference between both versions: I had the idea to add a handrail matching the doors around the Captain's chair. I think this is quite the awkward bridge-of-the-week touch, but maybe it's a bit too awkward. What do you think, should I keep them?

tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg?1665211008
    tadeo-d-oria-c8-02.jpg?1665211003
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1665211024
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-02.jpg?1665211019
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1665211014
    trekkiDoctorShmulluscaveat_imperatorRory1707BolianAdmiralStarCruiserwibbleAel'sLeoBerlin
    edited October 2022 #3600
    I kinda like the handrails... but honestly, the issue with the captain's chair area is that it's dark. It's the darkest spot on the bridge, I think you need to pull the chair up closer to the edge of the platform so it's underneath a light.
    Post edited by BlueNeumann on
    Rekkert
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    When the captain needs to get to a station quickly , right or left, he has a problem with the handrail.
    Yes, the chair must be further forward.
    Rekkert