Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStruggling through the texturing on Pike's Enterprise...

Dennis BaileyDennis Bailey407 Posts: 54Member
edited July 2022 in Work in Progress #1
...and trying to learn Lightwave 2019. I'm about halfway to getting Principled BSDF. The nacelle domes aren't real close to what I want, yet.

The mesh is mostly finished.

imz6rh5iit1m.png

gqa1p1lm3d41.png
u4336b5v2omj.jpg

Post edited by Dennis Bailey on
Lizzy777StarCruisertrekkiSCE2AuxscifiericashleytingersrspicerraztovLeoBerlinBolianAdmiral
Tagged:

• trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice work. I like this ship. 👍
    Dennis Baileyscifieric
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    The texture maps look great to me, as does the model as a whole. Really like the SNW iteration of the Enterprise.
    Dennis Baileyscifieric
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This does look very good indeed!
    Dennis Bailey
  • MikeFinleyMusicMikeFinleyMusic172 Posts: 60Member
    That's fantastic
  • Dennis BaileyDennis Bailey407 Posts: 54Member
    I can't work out the relationship between some of the old standard surface attributes and the principled BSDF attributes. So, diffuse is "diffuse reflection..." which in terms of converting from standard to BSDF means what gets set? Roughness? What levels approximate the old effects, and so forth?
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    You might find it easier to ask on the discord, there's a lot of guys on the SFM discord who are familiar with converting to principle BSDF in LW.
    Dennis Bailey
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    Wait, are you The Dennis Bailey?

I think the ship looks great
    scifieric
    johnl2112 wrote: »

I've waited my whole life for someone to ask me that, and I didn't even know it. LOL

I guess I'm possibly a couple of Dennis Baileys, depending on who's asking - some good, some not-so-good.

But I'm a Dennis Bailey who's been fiddling with CG as a hobby for close to thirty years now.

@count23, thanks for the suggestion.

And @johnl2112, thanks for the kind words.
    scifieric
    6yi9hav9e19r.jpg

Lizzy777trekkiscifiericLeoBerlin
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    johnl2112 wrote: »

I've waited my whole life for someone to ask me that, and I didn't even know it. LOL

I guess I'm possibly a couple of Dennis Baileys, depending on who's asking - some good, some not-so-good.

But I'm a Dennis Bailey who's been fiddling with CG as a hobby for close to thirty years now.

@count23, thanks for the suggestion.

And @johnl2112, thanks for the kind words.

You made a great enterprise model back when attaching two polygons next to eachother required a supercomputer, required you to what, stab vertices into the air without reference, and took a week to render. Thank you. That must have been a struggle. We are spoiled with modern tools.
    scifieric
    Thank you. I wish I'd really mastered even those basic tools, and kept up with it. I find myself struggling now to do things that other people do, if not with ease, then at least with a good deal more mastery and efficiency.
    scifieric
    edited July 2022 #13
    Still coming along...

fs84rtvh2peo.png

The Enterprise hull, as the ship is being lit and rendered on SNW, is a patchwork of dark and light paneling and exaggerated (IMO) plate relief texturing that I'm trying to approximate, after a fashion. The lighting in my work images is a bit flat and bright compared to the show.

Most of the concept work, merchandise and other recreations I've seen of this ship feature an aztec pattern of one sort or another on parts of the hull. I'm not saying that such aztecing doesn't exist on the model, but what I'll say is that on screenshots of the ship as it appears in the current TV show I'm not seeing such a pattern. The plating textures look fairly randomly variable. It may be my lack of acuity. But I'm working from screenshots as much as I can.
    trekkiSCE2AuxscifiericStarCruiserLizzy777LeoBerlin
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    edited July 2022 #14
    The shader work on the SNW Enterprise is rather interesting. The texture/shader artist obviously went to town on the detail and, as you say, there's a lot of exaggerated panel features. There are panels within panels within panels. Their reflection map must be very high contrast indeed because even in areas lit with strong, direct light there's still a huge amount of variation in the brightness of the hull.
    Post edited by SCE2Aux on
    Dennis Baileyscifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I like the TMP shading…less coppery
    I'll fuss with the lighting rig and a couple of the textures tomorrow, then call this done.

imz6rh5iit1m.png
    x8z4oi245qqu.png
    Lizzy777rojrenStarCruisertrekkisrspicerashleytingerLeoBerlinscifieric
    And because the universe is perverse, on the day that I finish this Timothy Peel posts wireframes of a model used on the series that immediately reveal to me all the errors and omissions in my work:

roymc386ckhp.jpg
    vrnbbm6so7ht.jpg
    mt84ogqjqyup.jpg
    av38n896xf1d.jpg
    xiaorobearStarCruiserLizzy777trekkisrspicerashleytingerraztovLeoBerlinscifieric
    Is this the model of the series ?
    Cheer up, your model is very good. 👍
    scifieric
    Do you know which program was used?
    scifieric
    trekki wrote: »
    Is this the model of the series ?
    Cheer up, your model is very good. 👍

It's one model used on the series - I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I'd guess that they have a number of models and partial models for close-ups, etc., and that the meshes and surfacing are tweaked as necessary.

It's been pointed out, for example, that this mesh is missing the enlarged upper windows on the saucer bow - all the windows here are the same size. I'm sure there are other differences. This model is used to generate wireframe images for various Enterprise bridge displays - one angle of it appears on a data display as the "USS Peregrine" in "All Who Wander."

Here's Peel's Tweet containing the images.
    edited July 2022 #21
    Just for fun, I generated a quick wireframe of my mesh for comparison to SNW's. In addition to missing some features, mine's somewhat simpler. I think I got the proportions close on a lot of things. My saucer's a touch beefier, among other differences. The engine pylons, too:

fi8t0qtcwdnx.png

bn71q2caytj5.png

742nb5bburlg.png

c56p3juwov9s.png

raztovLizzy777scifieric
    Would you publish your version ?
    It looks very good.
    scifieric
    Sure. It'll be a few days.
    scifieric
    Thank you
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Very nice!
    scifieric
    Well...guess what? I felt like getting this finished today. So, here's the link to download it:

Pike's USS Enterprise - Lightwave 2019

If you do use it, please let me know if there's anything missing, okay? There are a lot of image maps.

Thanks
    scifieric
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    edited July 2022 #27
    Master Dennis! How you doing? It´s good to see you´re alive and kicking! B)
    Coincidentally, yesterday I was playing with one of your old babies, released long years ago in the old 3DG forums... The USS Concord. ;)
    Post edited by Starship on
    I tried to join the 3DG forums the other day. The current process seems to be unreliable.
    Starship
    edited July 2022 #29
    I tried to join the 3DG forums the other day. The current process seems to be unreliable.

My old user still works there, but it looks down today.... Database error
    It´s a quiet forum in the present time.
    Post edited by Starship on
    scifieric

But... Some of the old beams are running http://3dscifi.com/3dscifi.com/eric/index.php, case you´re interested. ;)
    scifieric
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Starship wrote: »
    But... Some of the old beams are running http://3dscifi.com/3dscifi.com/eric/index.php, case you´re interested. ;)
    I didn't know anyone even knew my site existed anymore, except for a couple of friends! Wow!
    Starship