Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Milan Maru (Ebon Hawk Redesign)

• wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    edited June 2022 #182
    Took me a while, I know. I turned back to the exterior model and started panelling it. At least the parts that I am confident I won't change any more. I already had been that far in a previous version. We'll see how far I get this time.

f56gsfkoa1eg.png

k7ztc1tfj29b.png

25gzopne0zln.png

And just because I wanted to see how it appears in context, I also did a few exterior shots of the cockpit.

ufvjtuqjcelm.png

8aj4edwabrv4.png

9skzc5vwqh4c.png

fd99ermu06o1.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    RekkertStarriggerAel'sStarCruiserashleytingerLizzy777xiaorobearsrspicer
  • xiaorobearxiaorobear682 Posts: 171Member
    Seriously impressive stuff, looks great!
    wibble
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Looking so very good. Love what you're doing with the paneling and the interior works so well with it.
    wibble
    Thanks for the nice comments. =)

Also, I fleshed out the airlock interior a bit. No big deal, just a little something that was on the schedule for too many years now.

f1aohiujagxg.png

And 'cause space is supposed to be a dark place:

16ec2nzmyt8m.png

9t3tl7lbckae.png
    Ael'ssrspicerLizzy777StarCruiser
    edited July 2022 #186
    More panels:

rxxenqbax4gv.png

rfmmowjx9aa9.png

odphwa99l0bt.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777RekkertAel'ssrspicer
    They need to get a hold of you for the SWTOR remake they're working on. They really really do. So good.
    wibble
    edited July 2022 #188
    Well, thanks for the compliment.
    If it comes to that remake I'm equally exited and afraid. For one it would be great to see this game (and the Ebon Hawk in particular) in, lets say Horizon: Zero Dawn quality. But than again there are so many ways this could go wrong. Like if they produce one of those polished and shiny games that loses all the charm of the original. And if they do it right (like letting Ryan Dening do the redesign of the Ebon Hawk) also chances are high that it becomes better than anything I could ever build and I will loose all my motivation to ever finish this project.
    Post edited by wibble on
    Awhile ago I did cut in the main hatch and blocked out size and position of the boarding ramp. But now that I'm slowly getting used to Blender ver. 3.2.1 I was able to produce renders where you actually could see what I did.

b9yzgi7d1msv.png

goa3feozdbk4.png

otqjz8j7603f.png

6zmsa1kis5p5.png
    Ael'sLizzy777srspicer
    Also trying to come up with a better engine layout.

jyu1amza2k9b.png

b56sxg1cerq3.png
    Ael'sashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777srspicer
    There you go with the usual small progress.
    z55ql79xu81u.png
    2lfcku4f5pxf.png
    I still don't really know where I want to go with the engine. So I just have been tweaking the blocked-out elements. I'm open for suggestions. ;)

Also I played a bit with Hyperspace, following this Tutorial.
    yx4bc3sgn5ep.png
    I have to say for a first try I was pretty pleased with the result. Unfortunately I couldn't use my ship model and the Hyperspace cylinder in the same scene 'cause the Ship is rendered in cycles and the Hyperspace scene in Eevee. And both looks pretty dull rendered in the respective other renderer.
    Can anyone tell me how I can make a render without Background? Than I could at least use the Hyperspace Image as Background in the compositor.
    srspicerStarCruiserAel's
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    edited July 2022 #192
    wibble wrote: »
    There you go with the usual small progress.
    Getting any time to do hobby projects is doing great in my book. :)
    Also I played a bit with Hyperspace, following this Tutorial.
    I have to say for a first try I was pretty pleased with the result. Unfortunately I couldn't use my ship model and the Hyperspace cylinder in the same scene 'cause the Ship is rendered in cycles and the Hyperspace scene in Eevee. And both looks pretty dull rendered in the respective other renderer.
    Can anyone tell me how I can make a render without Background? Than I could at least use the Hyperspace Image as Background in the compositor.
    Sorry, I'm a 3DSMax guy, but from google it appears that there are ways of outputting a PNG image of the ship with alpha in Blender. The hyperspace effect is looking great.
    Post edited by SCE2Aux on
    wibble
    You can render out the scene without a background in Blender by going to Output Properties, then under Output there's a transparent click box as long as you're rendering under PNG.

Correction, that's in Blender for Artists. I dug through standard Blender and I'm not seeing that option BLARG.
    wibble
    Thanks @SCE2Aux and @ashleytinger, the transparent click box is in the Render Properties under Film. But you both pointed me in the right direction, so that really helped.

nvlzaipvimjv.png
    srspicerStarCruiserLizzy777Ael's
    Did add those little cut-outs around the engine, thought it might make this empty space a bit more interesting. Not sure though if I should keep them.
    0n0v3gmccieu.png
    q3fzsbcnp8th.png
    ashleytingersrspicerStarCruiserAel'sLizzy777
    I looked through some images online of the Ebon Hawk - looks like a very greebly ship, so I'd say keep 'em.
    wibble
    Keep 'em. They look good
    wibble
    edited July 2022 #198
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I will keep 'em then. :) What made me uncertain was that after this detail draws attention to this region it feels even emptier than before. But I guess the lesson to be learned here is not to overthink every little detail. So I will move on then and if it keeps bothering me it can easily be made undone.

Today I made a few more panels. I had already done this part but I did lower the space between the panels into the model. Thought that would look better but than I decided that I wanted the panels raised like the rest and I had to do them again.
    9ookk0o9mmx0.png
    And I cut out these openings on both sides which I will fill with greeble stuff eventually.
    hvozei5cx2n7.png
    Also, I was in the mood for mood.
    67daquuhiakg.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    ashleytingerStarCruisersrspicerAel'sLizzy777SCE2Aux
    edited July 2022 #199
    Now the bow need to be paneled again as well. This time lower the panel lines seems to be the right choice. Not completely happy with those thrusters though. I did build very fine lines which just vanish from a greater distance. I will have to do them again for I would at least like them to be visible from a distance like in the first picture.

jelmvpqyyc11.png
    wddvh9ds0dqu.png
    Post edited by wibble on
    SCE2AuxAel'sashleytingerStarCruiserWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
    I don't know. I kind of like that there's detail really close up and that it naturally fades as you get further from the ship. Adds a level of realism to it I think.
    wibbleWarp Propulsion Laboratorysrspicer
    Thank you ashleytinger and actually I agree, you know, to a certain degree. There is plenty of detail all over the model that is not really visible and I always tell myself that it is worth the effort 'cause it adds to the appearance even though the detail itself isn't visible most of the time. But in this case the area appeared just like blank space and beside the occasional WIP shot I doubt that I will ever do such an extreme close-up ever again. What made it kind of useless to have this detail at all. So I just extruded the whole area by 5 mm and also gave the circles around the thrusters a thickness of 5 instead of 2 mm which is just enough to see that there is something and it will still fade away from a higher distance.
    ntxhvymw16ai.png
    eabtv5k9wc5w.png
    And then I continued panelling the underside.
    y40cn65fahzi.png
    ashleytingerSCE2AuxAel'sLizzy777StarCruiser
    I think that's the right strategy - keeping some details sufficiently fine, they only resolve themselves in close up. It will give you greater flexibility in the long run when deciding where, and how close to place your cameras.
    wibble
    It's time to take care of the underside.
    hh2vljm2985g.png
    SCE2AuxAel'sStarCruiserLizzy777
    You've got plenty of panels and greebles to keep you busy there! Is the final look going to be showroom-shiny or scuffed up and used?
    wibble
    edited August 2022 #205
    SCE2Aux wrote: »
    Is the final look going to be showroom-shiny or scuffed up and used?

Well-maintained I would say. Used but not worn down like the Falcon.
    Post edited by wibble on
    StarCruiser
    With "the underside" I was mainly talking about this trapezoid thing that is covering the engine tubes. At first it appeared to be pretty easy, 'cause it's a trapezoid, you know. But at the back end where it has to connect with the engines it turned out to be quite tricky. The initial idea was to take up the shape of the engines and morph it over it's length until it fits the shape of the turret. But I quickly had to realise that this was beyond my skill set at the time and also looked kind of silly. Therefore I didn't dare to touch it for several years.

During the last week I have gone trough several iterations once more and found out that I probably like this version the most.
    ee0bx911msj5.png
    9rcu0dcquqsg.png
    2q7fy0zeg5ri.png
    Of course it's still just a sketch that I will have to give more detail. But for now I guess I will leave it like this, 'cause I found out that I have the best ideas if I'm working on something else.
    ashleytingerAel'ssrspicerStarCruiserLizzy777
    Okay, I did start the next round of panelling. But most of my time I spend with rendering these days, using different HDRI's in order to find a good lighting theme.
    7pre20zfp9oo.png
    3hqa633sfbc2.png
    v01j3a3gtyl3.png
    ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777Ael'sxiaorobearSCE2Auxevil_genius_180
    Good to see this ship popping up again. The lighting looks good - I know how HDRI lighting can end up quite tricky to get the right angles, contrasts and intensities desired.
    wibble
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I remember when you started this project. It's good to see you're still plugging away at it.
    wibble
    @evil_genius_180: Hello, welcome back evil genius. I also remember that you have been quite supportive when I started this project. I took an extensive break myself and to be honest I did count on you when I returned to it 'cause you have been the only one who I could imagine could appreciate that I'm still working on it. And although I could very well understand the reason why I was saddened to here that you turned away from CGI. Anyway it's good that you are back. The place wouldn't be the same without an evil genius.

@SCE2Aux: Thank you. And yes the silly me was expecting it to be as easy as loading a HDRI and get awesome renders in return. One would think that by now I should know that nothing is ever that easy with CGI.

Here you go with the latest panel work. As usual I'm not sure if I like it. This time I feel I might have overdone it and fewer panels might have worked better.
    ezgulyx8ydx2.png
    cs3yqvde6tm5.png
    irsko25739im.png
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Ael'ssrspicer
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    @evil_genius_180: Hello, welcome back evil genius. I also remember that you have been quite supportive when I started this project. I took an extensive break myself and to be honest I did count on you when I returned to it 'cause you have been the only one who I could imagine could appreciate that I'm still working on it. And although I could very well understand the reason why I was saddened to here that you turned away from CGI. Anyway it's good that you are back. The place wouldn't be the same without an evil genius.

Yeah, sorry, I had to step back from this stuff for a while. I just didn't have any passion for it. I definitely like this project and I'm definitely glad to see you're still at it. This ship is one of my favorites, from one of my favorite video games of all time. The paneling looks really good to me.
    wibble