Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBSG Colonial Fleet

• japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Take a break from this greeble monster and doing a smoother sorta ship...depending on the version apparently...the Canaris Shuttle! A few versions appear on screen, so I'm making a couple swappable parts, just in case i decide to go one way or another. Much smoother and sleeker than a lot of these ships, it's been a nice break. There are some wads of greebles on a few places, but it's not too awful.4zfje1klf06c.jpg
    1b6xpshxod22.jpg
    xiaorobearStarCruiserLizzy777BolianAdmiralrojrencaveat_imperatorsrspicerComcowolfman
    Very close...
    gb6gsscuoh41.jpg
    vvb2h6mjb868.jpg
    k7gq31n8jioc.jpg
    Lizzy777srspicerrojrenwibbleStarCruiserxiaorobearwolfmanEddieLcaveat_imperatorSCE2Auxand 2 others.
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    This whole thread is quite the labor of love! Awesome Job!
    japetus
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    She looks great!!
    japetus
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Just think at the end of all this incredible modeling.. you can fly them all into the sun!!!!!
    japetus
    markmassey wrote: »
    Just think at the end of all this incredible modeling.. you can fly them all into the sun!!!!!

Haha, so say we all!
    Gemini Freighter modeling pretty much done!!

kjwy8zm66i8z.jpg
    q9139a4zo28z.jpg
    0x0tu9hzh9rt.jpg
    xiaorobearrojrenashleytingerStarCruiserwolfmanwibbleLizzy777EddieLcaveat_imperatorStarshipand 1 other.
    Made progress on the Canaris Shuttle today!
    prt5pgn9rhv2.jpg
    ku46ozhoq2a1.jpg
    StarCruiserrojrenLizzy777caveat_imperatorashleytingerwibblesrspicerStarrigger
    Been plugging away, the greebly version of this shuttle is pretty much done! The original smoother version needs a few parts I hope yup make tomorrow..

rw595ruf3toh.jpg
    qrs9amjerb7a.jpg
    rojrenLizzy777srspicerWarp Propulsion LaboratorywibbleStarCruiserEddieLcaveat_imperator
    Canaris Shuttle just about done! Going on vacation this week, so glad to be taking a break. Will be doing the smooth one too, that one is very easy, i have most of the parts already...

spq581c0stgi.jpg
    k3oyc58li0lz.jpg
    ycqklbc8cyac.jpg
    m31gw4070naa.jpg
    ceoyejt2trmr.jpg
    rojrenLizzy777wibbleWarp Propulsion LaboratoryMartocticvsxiaorobearStarCruiserEddieLcaveat_imperatorsrspicerand 3 others.
    and some wires
    18t16ekedlu2.png
    2j4dxb9hiz2e.png
    8fkaljzo396r.png
    Lizzy777wibbleWarp Propulsion LaboratoryStarCruiserStarriggercaveat_imperatorsrspicerStarship
    Added some panel lines and other bits. Might not be perfect match to on screen, but close enough!

vriign7hlvzm.jpg
    xa35um212fb9.jpg
    rojrenwibblecaveat_imperatorStarCruiserLizzy777srspicerashleytingerEddieLStarriggerLeoBerlin
    Testing out Vray 6's new Clouds feature. Unfortunately you can't seem to look at them from above, but they are really great and fast!

rrzte04xpa4c.jpg
    czklmxbh12ed.jpg
    e8qbsiwkiyfb.jpg
    iu4hwzbc0865.jpg
    ity0siv9dri5.jpg
    wibbleashleytingerrojrenxiaorobearStarCruisersrspicerStarshipSCE2AuxWarp Propulsion LaboratoryMustang13Camaro68and 2 others.
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    That looks fab. As a Corona user, I'm jealous of the clouds - the Corona volume material is pretty good, but making clouds takes a fair bit of setting up to get even a semi-ok result and it takes a while to render too. Great looking ship!
    SCE2Aux wrote: »
    That looks fab. As a Corona user, I'm jealous of the clouds - the Corona volume material is pretty good, but making clouds takes a fair bit of setting up to get even a semi-ok result and it takes a while to render too. Great looking ship!

That's funny, as a vray user, I'm jealous that Corona has a good shader atmospheric volume shader to use with clouds! It helps a lot with making planets, with vray, that step is a bit harder
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    japetus wrote: »
    That's funny, as a vray user, I'm jealous that Corona has a good shader atmospheric volume shader to use with clouds! It helps a lot with making planets, with vray, that step is a bit harder

I've used the volume material for the atmosphere layer when making planets, but so far have always used texture maps for the cloud layer. I'm intrigued with what methods might be used to construct a cloud layer for planets as well.
    japetus
    Got started on the Astral Queen/prison ship the other day. It's a tough one! Was able to track down a lot of model kits used so its helping a lot

vk6i799srh85.png
    svacs0tqvvgz.png
    ctxbdtg0npcj.png
    6pr8a7fkcxdx.png
    SCE2AuxStarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorsrspicer
    Astral Queen coming along pretty well now that I have better reference for the greebles....man, pipes and weird shapes everywhere on this one!

sgrloiw2tvq9.jpg
    wibbleStarCruiserxiaorobearpubliusrLizzy777caveat_imperatorsrspicerStarshipscifieric
    started to rough in this guy, dubbed by fans the "Colonial Plumbers" ship, it was just cobbled together from odds and ends to fill in the background, so leaves a lot to the imagination.
    64ctrkjnjuyx.png
    StarshipStarCruiserBolianAdmiral
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    I had to create the Prison Barge in 1:4105 scale to match the TOS Galactica kit I created for Timeslip Craetions. I always got a kick out of the WWll U-Boat hulls! Here is a paint up of the model kit, its about 2.5-3" in length.
    oxq3qlq20jhe.jpeg
    japetusStarCruisercaveat_imperator
    edited July 2022 #143
    srspicer wrote: »
    I had to create the Prison Barge in 1:4105 scale to match the TOS Galactica kit I created for Timeslip Craetions. I always got a kick out of the WWll U-Boat hulls! Here is a paint up of the model kit, its about 2.5-3" in length.
    oxq3qlq20jhe.jpeg

That looks great! Bet that was a tough one, I finally feeling ok about mine after days and days of moving pieces, especially in the rear, what a mess back there
    Post edited by japetus on
    StarCruisersrspicer
    Added some more detail and things...hoping to get the modeling done this week! Taking a few little liberties here and there...

34ww2s6seycb.jpg
    az5xl5714tzp.jpg
    lfn5qyfusv9e.jpg
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777StarCruiserwibblerojrensrspicercaveat_imperatorLeoBerlin
    Got the other Canaris shuttle version done! Ironically in the show they show it "upside down" compared to the other version of the shuttle, but i guess it works to give the ships variation! covlrsgh7ntu.jpg
    xu6b0ronisja.jpg
    gx9t4bw0ebae.jpg
    rojrenStarCruiserSCE2AuxwibbleLizzy777srspicercaveat_imperator
    Started on the Stellar Mining ship...maybe the hardest yet. It's a lot of battleship and random crap...my brain!!

a43cgs9k6kjt.jpg
    qbqxpdw5nkmm.jpg
    wibbleWarp Propulsion LaboratoryashleytingerscifiericStarCruiserLizzy777srspicercaveat_imperatorStarrigger
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I apparently never registered just how MUCH battleship was in there lol
    scifiericjapetuscaveat_imperator
    Got a lot more detail done on this beast...man! So many pipes! Was very glad to have the photos of the model sheets they used, helped me build some proportions correctly to help lay out parts better. Some areas though I'll have no choice but to make some things up unfortunately, mostly on the underside though

a7nwevabn5w7.jpg
    66vbudm0l2ol.jpg
    2x9fjnic9lcm.jpg
    ro69cxrteo8j.jpg
    rojrenLizzy777StarCruiserwibblesrspicerpubliusrcaveat_imperatorWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    Ok... alot more detail added...feeling like it's almost done!! just a bit more to add around and cleanup some things better...

x2togzkv80rq.jpg
    fyoqmls6dlcv.jpg
    rw10951pymuc.jpg
    7ujxw1xy04hl.jpg
    tt55i3gzp723.jpg

rojrenSCE2Auxwibbleashleytingercaveat_imperatorStarCruiserLizzy777srspicerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryStarriggerand 1 other.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I wonder if they put this one together last just using the last bits of model kits that they had laying around? That's a LOT of parts.
    scifieric
    I wonder if they put this one together last just using the last bits of model kits that they had laying around? That's a LOT of parts.

Yeah pretty sure that's what happened, it was always more in the near distance, not quite a hero ship it seems. There is a similar ship Calles the Celestra which is a little different and more detailed
    scifieric