Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRestoring the lost...

• JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
    Still building up the detail on the secondary hull... close but not quite finished yet;

kiUBSey.jpg
    XwxlGLV.jpg

Comments welcome, more soon :-)
    ashleytingerpubliusrLizzy777StarCruiserwolfmancaveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Lovely. I hope you repost the Ingram and the other versions of it.
    Jayru
    publiusr wrote: »
    Lovely. I hope you repost the Ingram and the other versions of it.

Thank you :-)

The only version of the Ingram I have left is the one I dressed for the Star Trek Lexington fan film group which was adapted specially for them. The variants are gone. A couple of other people have done the Ingram, and done a far better job of it than I did (far more accurate job of it) and I wouldn't want to tred on any toes. That's why when I came back to 3D work I built the "OIdfield Class" as my take on what the Excelsior could and should have been ( - Humm, does that sound a little arrogant?). So I have done that already - even built a shuttle or four to go with it ;-) Although I ran into a fanboi-ism which is why I called time on that project. I may come back to it, finish off the hanger bay and the arboretum.

Hope that helps, more soon!
    publiusr
    - Mike Oldfield
    Getting closer to the finish line on this one. Still heaps to do, but the major parts are pretty much done;

u7rmCIX.jpg
    su9DEaV.jpg
    H4oAMqY.jpg

Comments welcome, more later :-)
    Lizzy777StarCruiserpubliusrRekkertfroggi3wolfmancaveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
    - Mike Oldfield
    I love some of the ships from DC comics.

There was one cover where the Refit version of the Mirror Enterprise fired on the Excelsior. It seemed to have a wider saucer. Done by mistake, but an interesting look all the same. I hope you do that and some other refit era craft.

I love the Surak here. It is what a science vessel should be.
    Jayru
    I love some of the ships from DC comics.

There was one cover where the Refit version of the Mirror Enterprise fired on the Excelsior. It seemed to have a wider saucer. Done by mistake, but an interesting look all the same. I hope you do that and some other refit era craft.

I love the Surak here. It is what a science vessel should be.

Thank you.

The movie era is a fav of mine. I love the almost uniform look of the ships - something that has been lost in later iterations of Trek (IMOO). Back in the days of old, it was important for Starfleet ships to look like they belonged to the same fleet and had come out of the same yards.

Looking back over the old WIP thread on Treknographics, my original inspiration was to build a rationalised Oberth Class - I stumbled across the image of the Clarke Class USS Surak and used it as a jumping off point. It's not biggie that the artists working on the comics at the time hadn't seen what an Oberth Class ship looked like, and were given a written description. Later issues corrected and showed the Surak as Oberth Class...

Since I started the original a few things have happened in Trek - an on screen USS Clarke NCC-1661 - a Clarke Class in STO... So being mindful of all that, I'm calling this one the McCaffrey Class (still a sci-fi writer). But yes, I haven't built the "class" ship, but rather another USS Clarke. She's bigger than the original one I built last time, but I am going with that increase in size and making it work for her.

I have been working on a shuttle idea for this USS Clarke -

1mhs4cu.jpg
    W2gUTxr.jpg
    TQddZs8.jpg
    lP3tXZQ.jpg

Yes, I have "updated" the TMP era shuttle... Do I need to duck yet?

Their will be two shuttles - I haven't got names for them yet. I am either going to use "Arthur" and "Charles" or "Lys" and "Diaspar" - comments and thoughts are welcome, just keep name ideas connected to Arthur C Clarke.

Anyways, enough waffle from me - enjoy, feel free to comment and more soon!
    trekkiLizzy777RekkertStarCruiserpubliusrwolfmancaveat_imperatorsrspicer
    - Mike Oldfield
    More shuttle stuff;

1kEIX8O.jpg
    JJMdQef.jpg
    lhA1HaG.jpg
    vPwKS49.jpg
    zfprSoJ.jpg

Not sure I am sold on the design. I do have another - that with some minor tweaks - could be used;

WX19s8e.jpg
    uqlJPCG.jpg
    Q3Iqz4C.jpg

Thoughts and comments welcome, more soon!
    scifiericashleytingerRekkertLizzy777StarCruiserpubliusrwolfmancaveat_imperatorJES
    - Mike Oldfield
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Excellent work ... and I LOVE the shuttle!
    Jayru
    scifieric wrote: »
    Excellent work ... and I LOVE the shuttle!

Thank you - I'm going to assume that you mean the TMP style shuttle, not the TFF style one? I'm going to do some more work on it. Will post images when done.

Comments welcome, more soon!
    scifieric
    - Mike Oldfield
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I like the TMP revamp but I'm not used to seeing it with Nacelles like that so it feels off to me, but that's on me not you.
    Jayru
    I like the TMP revamp but I'm not used to seeing it with Nacelles like that so it feels off to me, but that's on me not you.

Yeah, I'm having the same problem with it. But the more I play with it, the more I like it.

Meh *shrug*

Comments welcome, more soon.
    - Mike Oldfield
    Also dig the shuttle
    Jayru
    Also dig the shuttle

Thank you!

I'm rebuilding the shuttle at the moment - renders tomorrow. Been busy with some building work on the house, but back to the project tomorrow :-)

Comments welcome, more soon!
    - Mike Oldfield
    Here we go...

The new one (on the right) has a curved hull, and is a little wider than the old one (which really is just a box);

FxDDEnF.jpg

More views of the new (have yet to apply all the livery);

qP3H035.jpg
    20RifgG.jpg
    XZwnbqm.jpg
    zd1lngM.jpg

ashleytingerLizzy777StarCruiserwolfmancaveat_imperator
    - Mike Oldfield
    The shuttle(s) are done and locked for the mo. So here is the Class M shuttle;

VcaJmoJ.jpg
    jie7Pfw.jpg
    9u8ZchO.jpg
    lKhxV9P.jpg

To scale with the Class J shuttle I built a while back;

RRHOTIQ.jpg
    SFX18pE.jpg
    CEf3BPI.jpg

Would Star Fleet have more than one class/type of shuttle in service? Of course they would. Both shuttles fill different roles.

And now that is done, back to the main lady;

2szvab6.jpg

Comments welcome - let me know what you think of the shuttle, more soon!
    Lizzy777StarCruiserMadKoiFishpubliusrtrekkiwolfmancaveat_imperatorJES
    - Mike Oldfield
    That makes just more sense than the Oberth, which is really how I envision a PICARD era ship looking…a post-Excelsior design with no crew in the towfish type sensor pod underneath

Jayru
    That makes just more sense than the Oberth, which is really how I envision a PICARD era ship looking…a post-Excelsior design with no crew in the towfish type sensor pod underneath

Fortunatly, this movie era ship of mine is bigger than an Oberth Class;

7kPxk7C.jpg
    Vi6lCAO.jpg
    4C6ytnp.jpg

Almost finished the lighting rig, and then... Other things :-) Comments welcome, much more soon!
    Lizzy777StarCruiserwolfmancaveat_imperatorJES
    - Mike Oldfield
    Taking a break form the Clarke for a bit, need to re-work some parts of it so it sits better to my eye. In the mean time, I have opened up the file on this 'lil project of mine - the USS Horizon. It's time I finished her;

8J0Wc06.jpg
    g76usxr.jpg
    OZQrCa8.jpg
    g7Lr8CL.jpg

The WIP thread for her got side tracked by fanboyism over the name and reg. That won't be happening again, because you know, we're all grown ups (I hope we are, lol). I'm thinking of changing the nacelles to be a little more movie era, but I'm happy to here thoughts on that. I also owe this ship an arboretum and a shuttle bay interior.

Anyways, comments welcome, more soon :-)
    Lizzy777StarCruiserwolfmancaveat_imperatorJES
    - Mike Oldfield
    The new nacelles (for Horizon) are coming along nicely... few errors to fix, and then texture them!

dUbxLvw.jpg

Lizzy777StarCruiserJES
    - Mike Oldfield
    Oh, very nice!
    scifiericJayru
  • allyngibsonallyngibson2 Posts: 2Member
    I wanted to pop in and say that I'm impressed with your work on the McCaffrey-class.

A poster on TrekBBS directed me here, as in the midst of a thread on the Star Trek comics, I wrote about how Spock's ship, the Surak, changed appearance over time, from something like an Oberth to a tiny Miranda. At least, that was how I remembered it, so I had to go and check the old comics to see. It's actually weirder than I thought, and I documented it all on my website.

Anyway, you've done a brilliant job, imho, of taking Tom Sutton's original drawing of the Surak and making sense of it. The Surak is, today, a pretty much completely forgotten chapter of Star Trek history, but it's also what I grew up with, and it's gratifying to see someone else running with it. I love it. :)
    Jayru
    Oh, very nice!

Thank you :-)
    I wanted to pop in and say that I'm impressed with your work on the McCaffrey-class.

A poster on TrekBBS directed me here, as in the midst of a thread on the Star Trek comics, I wrote about how Spock's ship, the Surak, changed appearance over time, from something like an Oberth to a tiny Miranda. At least, that was how I remembered it, so I had to go and check the old comics to see. It's actually weirder than I thought, and I documented it all on my website.

Anyway, you've done a brilliant job, imho, of taking Tom Sutton's original drawing of the Surak and making sense of it. The Surak is, today, a pretty much completely forgotten chapter of Star Trek history, but it's also what I grew up with, and it's gratifying to see someone else running with it. I love it. :)

Thank you for sharing the link :-) That was a fantastic and wonderful article about the Clarke Class USS Surak... Boy did that ship have some different looks. The idea was lovely, but making it work? Like a lot of Trek ships it needs a little imagination. That was my jumping off point when I did the USS Clarke all those years back. Unfortunately I lost all my 3D work - decades of it, and I have been a little lost without the projects I started. One of the reasons I am "sort of" rebuilding things. This new USS Clarke is a bigger ship than I intended, and I am thinking about ways manage that, or shrink it down. As it is, it works - so I may just run with it. At the moment it's on hold whilst I work out a few things with nacelles - but I have a fix in mind.

My other "large" project was Todd Guenther's Ingram Class - which I worked on for close to 15 years. Seven different ships were created out of that project, one of which ended up in a fan film (and sadly that makes it the only piece of my work to survive the disaster). So I I've been working on a replacement for that too - a rationalised Excelsior Class - which works without stretching things too much.

So updates, more on the McCaffrey Class USS Clarke later, here are the new nacelles for the USS Horizon, which you'll be seeing a little more of whilst I finish that ship off :-)

QQSdEPn.jpg
    UZimFsE.jpg
    Px1miCF.jpg

Comments welcome, as always. More very soon :-)
    Lizzy777StarCruisercaveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
    - Mike Oldfield
    The arboretum deck windows are finally in - yep I can see the mesh errors as well, so will be fixing them. But first, off to build me a large 3D garden with trees!

r2wW33p.jpg

Comments welcome, more soon...
    ashleytingerLizzy777StarCruisercaveat_imperatorJES
    - Mike Oldfield
    And...

fmawT4P.jpg
    VjRMP1N.jpg
    TMcQwY9.jpg

Such a small thing, and it's basic, but I didn't need a full room set. Plus, it looks smaller than it actually is, but then this is a beast of a ship,

bJOyGWi.jpg

Gonna lock down the Horizon for now, and get back to work on the Clarke. The shuttlebay interior is something I want to create for both ships, so it makes sense to come back to that once the Clarke's nacelles are locked down.

Lizzy777darkthunderStarCruisercaveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
    - Mike Oldfield
    And... Back to the McCaffrey Class, USS Clarke... (I know, I know, lots of updates today),

The nacelles have been reworked - same length and width, but I have reduced the height;

EMTh3oC.jpg
    QsyAfb1.jpg
    mfcF0Nc.jpg

I think this sits better, but let me know ;-)

Comments welcome, more tomorrow!
    ashleytingerLizzy777darkthunderStarCruisercaveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
    - Mike Oldfield
    Yeah that looks pretty good. And love the little Arboretum!
    Jayru
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    Jayru wrote: »

The Excelsior being one of my favorite designs of all Trek, it's nice to see this "more organic" take on the design.
    Jayru
    edited May 2022 #59
    Yeah that looks pretty good. And love the little Arboretum!

He he, Yes, it is on the "small" side, but each one has three trees in it. When I did the Ingram I created a full through deck arboretum, trees, rocks, little river, benches to sit on the works - but it's not something you are going to see much of, so have kept it simple this time. Keeps the poly count down as well. But this will work ok;

nXVfhRb.jpg

Nacelles comparison;

GkNSGau.jpg

Jayru wrote: »

The Excelsior being one of my favorite designs of all Trek, it's nice to see this "more organic" take on the design.

Thank you, it's one of mine fav designs as well - although nothing beats the TMP Connie, but next to that it's the Excelsior.
    Post edited by Jayru on
    Lizzy777StarCruisercaveat_imperatorJES
    - Mike Oldfield
    And now...

The reworked McCaffrey Class, USS Clarke - textures need redoing, but I've indicated where I've made changes. Mainly I've shorted the length of the ship by pushing the primary hull back, I've also change the size of the upper platform giving her a smaller ship look. I've moved the neck back as well, and made some tweaks to the nacelles. Yep, I will sort the textures out;

CFau5Mv.jpg
    nvL1H8s.jpg

I think it makes for a sleeker and better proportioned ship;

uJfHk8v.jpg
    2nLm8wh.jpg

Question - Now I have an arboretum set is it worth adding it to the Clarke?

Comments as always welcome, more soon!
    ashleytingerLizzy777StarCruisercaveat_imperatorsrspicerJES
    - Mike Oldfield
    I definitely think you should add it. It looks great! Love seeing what everyone does with theirs!
    Jayru