Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DGalaxy Class

Well. I've got COVID. After 2 years of seeing patients at work, they finally got me. So I figured what better way to relax than tackling one of the most irritating yet beautiful shapes ever. I've been working on it for about 2 days now, and I actually think I've gone insane.

I'm trying my best to keep it all as one mesh, cos joining a load of separate parts together whilst keeping the mesh flow seems like it might be the thing that finishes me off.

Also, I'm trying to keep it as low poly as I can so my computer doesn't explode. I know the shape is not 100% by any means but I think it's heading in the right direction. LOT to do though.

4h9e2hu5tzfv.png
l56mmhz659jz.png

RekkertBridgerashleytingerAel'sLizzy777wibblelewisnivenStarCruiserxiaorobearJayru
Tagged:

• Ael'sAel's87 FrancePosts: 69Member
    As the first one to comment I have the pleasure to say that it's a Beauty considering how early in the modelling it is.
    I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on this thread.
    AW Fanon Wiki — — — DeviantArt — — — AW Discord (EN)
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    excellent start, if you hop on the SFM discord, we can give you heaps of references for the studio models and some advice how to tackle the trickier parts.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • MikeFinleyMusicMikeFinleyMusic172 Posts: 60Member
    Decided to work on a bit of nacelle self-illumination. Because why not. c3k6k09kjxsf.png

Ael's wrote: »
    As the first one to comment I have the pleasure to say that it's a Beauty considering how early in the modelling it is.
    I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on this thread.

Thank you!! That's really kind. I appreciate it.
    count23 wrote: »
    excellent start, if you hop on the SFM discord, we can give you heaps of references for the studio models and some advice how to tackle the trickier parts.

Thanks, I'll definitely do that, because I'm completely making it up as I go along
    Lizzy777Ael'sStarCruiserwibbleJayru
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Great start on a difficult shape!
    Look at my little glowing son. And I've started working on the top of the saucer. (And I've also started cutting in the little window alcoves on the lower saucer but that's boring so I won't render that yet)
    djrrjzlumie3.jpg

Starship wrote: »
    Great start on a difficult shape!

Thanks!
    ashleytingerAel'sStarCruiserLizzy777Jayru
    Right, that's enough windows for today. I hate them, they're all stupid, and nobody should have windows in space anyway. And there's still so many to go!!
    I'm also making a start on the deflector, which is much less hateful.1fboqhw1fqai.jpg
    cmizatslor24.jpg

And my saucer section has gone weirdly pointy at the front, need to sort that out
    Ael'sLizzy777wibbleJayruStarCruiser
    I messed up my last boolean operation for the last row of windows - I left in an edge I'd been using to line all the cutters up - and now I have hundreds of little verts and faces to clean up. Yay! squsmpk6vvzl.png
    Jayru
    Spent my whole day cutting out little windows for my fake spaceship. And I've had a lovely time doing it. This is them all lit up just so you can see them. Also made a start on the RCS thrusters just to give me something else to do.

m739iwafzar1.jpg
    htrpxaz74336.jpg
    2e11qtff0vua.jpg

How's it looking?

Ael'sBrandenbergxiaorobearwibbleLizzy777JayruashleytingerStarCruiser
  • xiaorobearxiaorobear682 Posts: 171Member
    So good so fast! Extremely impressive stuff. It looks like there might still be a couple of slightly pointier edges around the saucer, maybe the same thing that caused the pointy front you already fixed? Looking great.
  • JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
    She's looking good, very nice work.
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    no matter how many times you see a galaxy class build on here.. i cant get enough of watching people model it.... Great work so far :)
    xiaorobear wrote: »
    So good so fast! Extremely impressive stuff. It looks like there might still be a couple of slightly pointier edges around the saucer, maybe the same thing that caused the pointy front you already fixed? Looking great.

Yeah, I should've really done another level of subdivision but again I'm trying to keep it as low-poly as possible.
    Jayru wrote: »
    She's looking good, very nice work.

Thank you!
    markmassey wrote: »
    no matter how many times you see a galaxy class build on here.. i cant get enough of watching people model it.... Great work so far :)

Thanks a lot! I'm having a lot of fun learning as I go along.

It's been a Phasery Escape Pod-y kinda day today
    lstqayh07k25.jpg

xiaorobearAel'srojrenLizzy777JayruStarCruiserwibble
    This is going to be a bit delayed as I'm back to work so I've got a lot less time now. Will keep working on this and update asap
    Jayru