Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMisha's Stargazer build

mishasiegfriedmishasiegfried149 Posts: 65Member
edited March 2022 in Work in Progress #1
So, today Dave Blass (production designer for ST:Picard) released on his twitter a whole load of pics of the Stargazer. I started crawling through his account and pulled all the concept art and photos of the bridge set that I could find. I'm going to try to build a version of it. As per my usual, I'm sure at some point I'll start taking liberties with the design because #overactiveimagination, but I thought that this time I would try to document the process a little.

Today has been all about blocking out the general shapes some basic lighting. I'm using the lo-res deck plan he posted, so making sure my dimensions are accurate has been a pretty colossal pain in the ass. Plus, it's a top-down view, no profile provided except for reference photos, so I've been eyeballing heights for now. I might try using fSpy on some of the photos to see if I can set my camera to match them and then try doing height related stuff from there. We'll see what happens.

Also, because this is WIP, i added a soundstage background and apropos props because I have a hard time taking anything too seriously.

Comments and critiques welcome as always. More eventually.

3mf46p9jfq3o.png
Post edited by mishasiegfried on
Soul ScreamWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777wibblescifiericJayru

• mishasiegfriedmishasiegfried149 Posts: 65Member
    edited March 2022 #2
    So, the bridge is still in progress, but on a whim I started building the actual ship. Like above, I'm trying to actively document the process on this one. So, these are all renders of my work to this point. The texturing is all placeholders just to help my visualize while I'm working. Plus, it makes the renders a little easier on the eyes.

mz8219u3dx7b.jpg
    ao3lmfm5drkl.png
    qg1dz6aqkbwo.png
    jwqjq4orbc4w.png
    Post edited by mishasiegfried on
    Lizzy777RekkerttrekkiraztovashleytingerscifiericAel'ssrspicerJayruMonitor42
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice, love this ship
    scifiericmishasiegfriedMonitor42
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Jump on discord, we've been grabbing Sagan class references as they come up, there's a 5-view ortho of the studio model we can send your way too.
    mishasiegfried
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Some more work done over the weekend on the Stargazer model. Working on booleans and blocking for the rear observation area near the upper nacelles. Nacelles also have been rebuilt for something a closer to screen accurate. They're better, but it's still going to take some more finesse to get them to where i'll be happy with them. I'm also thinking that for this model, i'm going to try to rely a little more on normal maps for hull lines. Some stuff needs to be done physically, but a lot of the minute details stuff can be done with normals so that I can use the ship in animations without blowing up my machine.

9j474fjuzeav.jpg
    zcq0edc6eytg.jpg
    Lizzy777trekkiJayruMonitor42
    count23 wrote: »
    Jump on discord, we've been grabbing Sagan class references as they come up, there's a 5-view ortho of the studio model we can send your way too.

I'm afraid of Discord. Traumatic experiences from when I was in design school!
    trekki
    Learned a new way to do procedural nebula and stars in Blender. Took the Stargazer for a spin as the test prop in the render. Haven't done windows or running lights yet, that's coming up next. But I am really happy with how this shot turned out. 6pddw162mpa8.jpg
    Lizzy777JayruAel'sMonitor42
    I think it's almost done?
    fvpndo0ujs8t.jpg
    sijlk94mcnpd.jpg
    trekkiJayruwibbleAel'sLizzy777RekkertMonitor42
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Wow, the ship looks very good. Can you please create a 4 sides view ? Do you plan to publish the ship. 👍
    Greetings trekki
    mishasiegfriedMonitor42
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    Please do 5 side ortho
    mishasiegfriedMonitor42
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    I think it's almost done?

Definitely looks like it.

mishasiegfriedMonitor42
    As per requests, I have a few orthographic renders of the finished Stargazer model. aikiu3aedn12.jpg
    bdiiafl65m7y.jpg
    d3enc169dgeg.jpg
    4ug0i1u689wb.jpg
    wibbleLizzy777lewisnivenMonitor42Ael's
  • Monitor42Monitor421 Posts: 1New Member
    trekki wrote: »
    Wow, the ship looks very good. Can you please create a 4 sides view ? Do you plan to publish the ship. 👍
    Greetings trekki

Where would Misha publish it, as a Thingiverse STL? I'm itching to 3D print this beautiful ship for my Starfleet collection, and to generously tip this INCREDIBLY talented maker. Nobody's put this model up as yet. Hoping Misha strikes Thingiverse while this Stargazer iron is white-hot!!
    mishasiegfried
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
    Love it
    mishasiegfried
    And a final render which also uses the ACES color space system. gl9fen93lvul.jpeg
    Ael'sLizzy777