Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTOS Constitution Reboot (Finished)

• publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Outstanding work!
    Hunter G
  • shipfishershipfisher371 Posts: 115Member
    Beautiful in design and execution.
    Hunter G
  • Captain AdamCaptain Adam115 Posts: 15Member
    Super nice modeling.
    Hunter G
  • adjunct37betaadjunct37beta188 Seattle, WAPosts: 60Member
    Phenomenal work!
    Hunter G
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    This is incredible. I really wish this is what we were getting in Strange New Worlds.
    adjunct37betaHunter GxiaorobearEnterprais
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    I appreciate the feedback!
    The way a TOS Connie reboot should be. Respect the old, update with some new.

And do my eyes spy 3 "torpedo tubes" in the forward saucer section? That's an interesting update from the classic. Not saying I dislike (on the contrary). Just different from what most versions have :)
    That is actually the secondary deflector array. There are two hatches in front of the sensor dome for torpedoes. They drop out, then shoot off whatever way they need to go. The torpedoes will be loaded like a magazine from the top of the saucer (which reminds me I need to add that panel)
    Rory1707
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Outstanding.
    Hunter G
    I've been trying to figure out how to reduce render times. Right now even at 4000 samples and almost 4K the images are too noisy so I have to use a denoiser. Unfortunately it smudges a lot of the smaller details, as well as textures. I might have to use a cloud rendering service, or find a new renderer that's faster if I have any hope of doing animations.

Any suggestions?
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Hunter G wrote: »
    Next step: texturing. I've never gotten this far before, wish me luck!

Very pretty. Well done!
    Hunter G
    I've started experimenting with methods of creating textures and applying them. I'm trying to figure out the right color combinations for each kind of map to get the look that I want. Here is the first test:
    aeiyhVc.png
    I'm liking the more subtle look, but there's quite a bit that's still off that I need to figure out.
    Lizzy777Rory1707Ael'sSoul ScreamStarshipMcCLoopholeadjunct37betawibblecaveat_imperatorand 1 other.
    edited March 2022 #642
    Texturing is a chore, I am not enjoying this at all. I don't want to have the panels be "random" where there are weird cuts and angles that wouldn't work in a real life build of a starship, but I also don't want to waste all my time planning out every single panel. I'll figure it out but boy it's frustrating.

In the meantime I think I like this new delfector:
    7sTEzNQ.png
    I also planned out the self illumination. Already it brings more life to the ship:
    O9vCP2n.png
    Tp2TFLj.png
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    Rory1707rojrensrspicerLoopholeashleytingerwibbleAel'sLizzy777Soul Screamraztovand 2 others.
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    I love it…your hard work will pay off in the end! 🖖🏾
    Hunter G
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    It's looking great, hang in there!
    I also prefer the subtle panel look. When you look at real-world aircraft carriers and oil tanker, they are not a patchwork of panels, they are painted a solid color. I believe in the future, there will be a consistent outer coating on large spacecraft. My 2¢
    Hunter G
    edited April 2022 #645
    srspicer wrote: »
    It's looking great, hang in there!
    I also prefer the subtle panel look. When you look at real-world aircraft carriers and oil tanker, they are not a patchwork of panels, they are painted a solid color. I believe in the future, there will be a consistent outer coating on large spacecraft. My 2¢

Yes, thank you! I do think as time goes on there should be less noticeable paneling, but in cannon it seems it's the opposite. I think I'll have 23rd century ships still have distinct paneling, with paneling being non-existent by the 25th century. It could probably be explained that they are able to detach any panel easily for repairs, like how it is in Enterprise. But in later years technology makes it no longer necessary. I like to have some kind of explanation for artistic choices, even if it is a bit flimsy
    Rory1707 wrote: »
    I love it…your hard work will pay off in the end! 🖖🏾
    Thanks! Luckily I've done enough hard things to know that the best progress comes after you get past the point where most people give up

Rory1707srspicer
    Here a second texture test, closer, but not quite there yet:
    9T3T9ol.png
    Lizzy777Rory1707Soul ScreamAel'slennier1wibbletrekkiLoopholemishasiegfriedpubliusrand 3 others.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice, love it !
    Hunter G
    Here's another possibility for the registry. Having the glow just as outlines looks a lot better than the whole thing. As far as the tech, the paint could be bioluminescent:
    UmwyTPN.png
    jqU9oWG.png

And I was reminded on TrekBBS that I still have to finish all the weapons placements, so it's on the list
    xiaorobearRory1707Lizzy777Soul ScreamwibbleStarCruisercaveat_imperator
    edited June 2022 #649
    I almost forgot, because texturing is kicking my butt, I'll be taking a short break from this project. I'll be doing more concepts and sketches for a while.

I had to make up this wallpaper with the current state of the model just for fun until I get back to it:
    OeOJAeH.png
    Ael'sRory1707LoopholeLizzy777lennier1Soul ScreampubliusrxiaorobearWarp Propulsion Laboratoryashleytingerand 5 others.
    edited April 2022 #650
    Nice, enjoy your break. Looking forward to your concepts and sketches. Also…thanks for the wallpaper. 😎🖖🏾
    Post edited by Rory1707 on
    Hunter G
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Could the panels with the registry not be LED/holographic displays or something like that?
    Hunter G
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Your take on the DY series under the saucer?
    Hunter G
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Could the panels with the registry not be LED/holographic displays or something like that?
    They could, I just like the idea of future paint and materials being able to do things we can't
    publiusr wrote: »
    Your take on the DY series under the saucer?
    Correct!

Ok NOW the modeling is done. There's still cargo bays and the shuttlebay, but those can always be added later. Have some orthos:
    82aRsMW.jpg

Ael'sRory1707LoopholeLizzy777ashleytingerWarp Propulsion Laboratorylennier1wibbleStarCruisercaveat_imperatorand 1 other.
    edited April 2022 #654
    Well done my friend. Your hard work has truly paid off! 🖖🏾
    Post edited by Rory1707 on
    Hunter G
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    This looks like a fantastic take on the original!
    Hunter G
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    Love the little subtle details and changes you did with this. Very nice take on the E
    Hunter G
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    please do orthos of your other reboot ships
    Hunter G
    please do orthos of your other reboot ships
    I should, I'll have to post some in the my general Trek thread.

Alas, I think I figured out the look that I want for the textures. Now it's just a matter of remaining consistent with the materials and mapping the paneling for the rest of the ship.
    A8UialW.jpg
    jgM3cNP.jpg
    Oh and I forgot to show what the phasers actually look like:
    LzmpcQ1.jpg

Rory1707ashleytingerAel'strekkiLoopholeLizzy777rojrenStarCruiserwibblecaveat_imperatorand 1 other.
    Awesome my friend! 🖖🏾
    Hunter G
  • JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
    Beautiful work, I love your attention to detail.
    Hunter G
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    Ok, I'm wondering if any of you modelers have insight on this.

I'm trying to unwrap the saucer rim, and I need the UV map to rectangular so I can map the panels on to it without warping. The regular unwrap is too warped, but the cylinder unwrap seems to be pretty close.

Unfortunately the top and bottom of the rim curves and becomes flat and causes the map to be stretched. I can't even select the vertices in the UV mode to adjust them manually. I need the top and bottom faces to be continuous with the side faces as well to do the panels properly.

Here's what I mean:
    k8acILb.jpg
    rVVDYnV.jpg

I'm at a complete loss of what to do. I've tried everything I can think of, messed with every unwrap setting, and Google has not been helpful at all.
    merritt258