Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLizzy's WIPs

• Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    More detail added.

oPfZG1y.png
    Ael'sSoul ScreamWarp Propulsion LaboratorypubliusrBrandenberg
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    I really like the vertical window design on the saucer edge!
    Lizzy777
    edited February 2022 #394
    srspicer wrote: »
    I really like the vertical window design on the saucer edge!

Can't take credit for that one. It's how they designed it for the ship when the new Enterprise made her first appearance in ST: DSC. I am a little surprised that they didn't add that window shape elsewhere on the ship.
    Post edited by Lizzy777 on
    More detail added. Some of the folks on the Discord channel helped me out with the surface smoothing. I tried a number of techniques that were suggested on Stack Exchange but none seemed to do what I wanted. When I used Shade Smooth, I lost the hard edges that I needed to be there. When I used Auto Smooth, it didn't seem to do anything. When I used them both at the same time, I got the results I was after! Clean surfaces without pinching or facets!

In TrueSpace it was a simple material setting between smooth and faceted. Had to learn a round-about way to get the same effect in Blender. At least I now know about this technique.

Anyway, the renders.

6aiAwsH.png
    ZDb8Jyr.png

Warp Propulsion LaboratoryAel'sSoul ScreammishasiegfriedwolfmanMcCStarCruiserBrandenbergsrspicer
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Very nice. Can't wait to see this applied to the rest of the ship!
    Lizzy777
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    Very nice. Can't wait to see this applied to the rest of the ship!

It might be at an odd angle, but it's now in place!

Finished working out the end of the nacelle. The RCS thruster cones are the same ones I used on the saucer. The "Constitution Miracle Worker Flight Deck Carrier" from STO that I was using as a reference had a few slits cut into the side, but I wanted something a little more. And having them match the other thrusters I had installed elsewhere seemed like a natural choice. I also stuck a glowing ball behind that cheese grater part since it seemed fitting for the design. A callback to both the Pilot and updated end caps.

Now all that's left is to detail the pylon and the build stage will be completed!

Vlc3uD0.png
    trekkiSoul ScreamAel'smishasiegfriedMcCStarCruiserBrandenberg
  • Ael'sAel's87 FrancePosts: 69Member
    What a beauty ! Keep the good work Lizzy !
    Lizzy777
    AW Fanon Wiki — — — DeviantArt — — — AW Discord (EN)
  • mishasiegfriedmishasiegfried149 Posts: 65Member
    This looks fantastic! I love the nacelles. Job well done so far!
    Lizzy777
    Ael's wrote: »
    What a beauty ! Keep the good work Lizzy !
    This looks fantastic! I love the nacelles. Job well done so far!

Thank you!

OK, so I was having trouble mirroring the left nacelle and positioning it properly. In TrueSpace, if you wanted to move a bunch of selected objects, you just grabbed them, then edited their position in the object info window. Doing that in Blender just moves the highlighted object, leaving the rest of the selection behind. I tried Alt+Enter, and that moved everything over...to the center coordinate of the highlighted object. Grabbing everything and moving it over to match the left side exactly wasn't working out either. I nearly resigned myself to moving each of the 51 objects individually.

Then after looking up methods for moving stuff around, I learned about Shift+S to bring up a radial menu and then selecting "Selection to Grid". And then editing the location coordinates in the Item info panel moved everything right where I needed it to be. Double-checking everything was where I needed it to be, I saved everything!

And now, a beauty shot.
    2YdtZfg.png
    Soul ScreamAel'smishasiegfriedWarp Propulsion LaboratorywolfmanMcCashleytingerStarCruiserMustang13Camaro68Brandenbergand 1 other.
  • Soul ScreamSoul Scream20 DearbornPosts: 13Member
    Absolutely gorgeous!
    Lizzy777
  • CowardCoward519 Posts: 34Member
    Don't know if you are aware of this, but you can mirror objects in blender with ctrl-m. Just make sure that the 3d cursor is selected as your pivot point and that it's in the correct position.

Two other methods I use are:
    mirror modifier
    I tend to use this a lot, and it's possible to use an empty as the mirror center instead of the objects origin - useful when mirroring an object that's origin is off center or has been rotated.
    Also it's possible to copy modifiers from one object to other selected objects with ctrl-l - useful if there are a ton of objects needing mirroring. The only problem is that the copied modifiers will delete any on the selected objects - so not always the best solution.

Instance collection
    Useful if you want instances of a group of objects but don't want a ton of instance objects.
    To use, put all the objects you want grouped together into a collection. Then create an empty, and under its object properties tab, expand instancing, change to collection and select the collection your objects are in. Also you can use mirror (ctrl-m) on the empty to get a mirrored nacelle.
    Lizzy777
    When I want to mirror an object, I just select it, go to Object > Mirror > (X, Y, or Z) Global and it's done. I suppose I can also use (X, Y, or Z) Local if the object is at an angle. It also works with entire group selections. I use the mirror modifier when I'm building symmetrical objects and only need to shape and detail half of it.

Since I don't yet know what it takes to unwrap and texture stuff, I haven't collapsed the mesh into a single object yet. I figure I can do that after that stage.

The difficulty at the time was in positioning where I needed all of the pieces to be. While the parts were flipped, they didn't stay relative to their placement when I tried to move or rotate them across the 3D field. Either one bit would move over, or they'd all move, but cluster together at the central point, or some other annoyance.

That required a different solution. One that I described above. It was just a little more complex than what I had intuitively imagined.

Instancing sounds like a good way to build up a small library for terrain generation. Like trees and rocks and stuff. I can even think to use it to make an asteroid field or do a closeup of a planet's chunky ring system.
  • mishasiegfriedmishasiegfried149 Posts: 65Member
    This model is gorgeous. Job well done, indeed!
    Lizzy777
    Just playing around with my model.

49x6lm6.png
    Soul ScreamAel'srojrenashleytingermishasiegfriedpubliusrtrekkiStarCruiserBrandenbergsrspicerand 1 other.
    Unwrapping the saucer showed me a few things. First, I had some internal geometry that I was unaware of until just now. Seems there was a point during the early build I had applied a Solidify modifier to the saucer instead of one of the Discombobulated subpaneling parts. The resulting edits to the saucer welded some parts while deleting others making removing that internal geometry incredibly difficult.

No doubt that was a cause for many an issue I had while building it.

Two, that internal geometry caused me some problems loading the saucer into both UVMapper and Substance Painter. I had to figure out how to do it all with Blender's Texture Editor.

Three, I have no idea how to use TexTools, even after following the only coherent tutorial I found on YouTube.

So...yeah. The keen-eyed among you will notice that my mapping is off in some spots. I'm not too concerned as this is still a learning endeavor for me and I figure I can "hide my crimes" like some sort of Savage. I suppose I COULD rebuild it like I did the Bridge Module, but I think at this stage I should just press on and do a better job with the next one.

The important bits are where they should be, so when I add text like the ship name and registration, things should line up properly. I plan to map out the phasers, bridge, and engine deck on a separate map. The rest will have to rely on a good paint job and node setup.

Hopefully, the rest of the unwrapping process won't be as stressful.

06hRPTw.png
    Soul ScreamAel'sBrandenbergMcC
    edited March 2022 #407
    Finished rebuilding the saucer. So far as I can tell, there's no interior geometry like the last version. At least I made sure to hide the main part when I added a solidify modifier to the bits like the window and light glows and surface subpanels.

Hopefully, this'll make unwrapping easier to do.

But more than that, I think I've improved the look of the saucer section quite a bit except for one thing. While writing out this post, I noticed some wild geometry errors on two of the rim windows. Looks like I have some overlapping polys from an inset operation that created a couple of spikes...

::sighs:: Right... Let's see if I can fix that, too.

-edit-
    I also just realized I forgot to add the four hatches on the side of the saucer as well. Another thing to fix.

akQVoUV.png
    rojrenashleytingerAel'sMustang13Camaro68Soul ScreamBrandenbergtrekkiHunter GMcC
    OK finished my edits to the saucer. I also learned how to rotate an HDRI image.

Vdj89RU.png
    Mustang13Camaro68Ael'sSoul ScreamBrandenbergashleytingertrekkipubliusrWarp Propulsion LaboratoryHunter GMcC
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Wow. Go Lizzy!
    Lizzy777
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    So sooo good
    Lizzy777
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Best angle
    Lizzy777
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    The thing I noticed about using instance collections for mirroring is having the main object's origin (or its parent's origin if you are using an empty) on the mirror centerline axis, and once created, needing to negate the scale of the axis you're mirroring across. If you are mirroring across the X axis, you change the instance collection's X scale to -1 to get it to mirror. Otherwise it's sitting in the same place as the collection it's copying. Again, it's going to mirror on the origin. If you want to keep the origin inside the mesh for any number of reasons, create a parent empty on the centerline.

Great thing about this method is you can add new objects into the collection you're working in, and the objects will be automatically mirrored. It's also great for lamps which do not mirror (unless that's a 3.0 update)

Ship looks great!
    Lizzy777
    OK! Finally managed to unwrap all of the parts of the saucer and map them to a single 2k texture map. Also masked out some areas to better line up some of the detail for later.

Now the question is...What is the base color of this thing supposed to be, anyway?

F2fVVaR.png
    ashleytingerAel'sSoul ScreamHunter GMcC
    Lizzy777 wrote: »

Now the question is...What is the base color of this thing supposed to be, anyway?

Kick ass.

Well the model looks great too but I was referring to the color scheme. ;)
    Lizzy777
    Lizzy777 wrote: »

Kick ass.

Well the model looks great too but I was referring to the color scheme. ;)

For a moment I thought you meant the movie Kick-Ass.

Anyway! First color pass to get a feel for the thing. Simple grey with darker rings applied to the original nodes. I just amped the Metal slider all the way up. There's a lot more detail I want to add to the texture, but that's to come in due time.

4XhIjc3.jpg
    ashleytingerrojrentrekkiHunter GSoul ScreamStarshipMcC
    I think that's how they went with it in the show, like a bare metal look.
    Lizzy777
    I think that's how they went with it in the show, like a bare metal look.

I think we'll know for sure when Strange New Worlds is finally released. At least I hope so. I kinda like how this design looks like a bridge between ENT and TOS. The bare metal look of the NX-01 and some of the physical features seem to play into that ship.
    Hunter G
    edited March 2022 #418
    Trying out an aztek. I took an old one I made years ago, layered a copy and turned it 45 degrees to blend in a new-ish pattern. Might need to tone it down a little though. Also playing around with the roughness setting for more of a metallic look.

I might need to make a new aztek since the original was angled at 22.5 degrees, while the radial lines on the new Enterprise are at 15 degrees.

1zwVK6H.jpg
    Ael'sWarp Propulsion LaboratorySoul ScreamStarshipMcC
    edited March 2022 #419
    New aztek pattern! Now to work out the rest of it, then add spec maps and all that fun stuff to vary the reflections.

8ELOr3O.jpg
    ashleytingerMcCAel'strekkiWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    I really like the refined aztecing. nice work!
    Lizzy777
    I really like the refined aztecing. nice work!

Thank you!