Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBSG Colonial Fleet

japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
edited January 10 in Work in Progress #1
Dont know how far I'll get, but came along a ton of reference photos for the original BSG colonial fleet as well as hi rez zoic renders from the remake. I'll be focused on the fleet. And there is a lot of crossover with the remake as well, so I'll be focused on trying to get those ships made. There's also a bit of wiggle room as to which ships are which between the 2 fleets. We'll see what happens!

Latest:
7s5xa6ijuhsp.jpg
First up is the Rising Star and some flat top tug.

This image is mostly a test using UDIMs for the first time. I textured with Painter. In the end though I will be modeling the many panels.

todsggmv232e.jpg

b2huvcon7gd6.jpg

A modeling test of the panels on the tail

ufnp31zipbr7.jpg

Post edited by japetus on
Lizzy777BolianAdmiralpubliusrStarCruiserashleytingercaveat_imperatorsrspicerwibbleBridgerMcCand 1 other.

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    YESSSSSSSS… I’ll be following this closely!
    japetus
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    So many panels to model...

c6i54tp47z7q.jpg
    989kbyeupgbc.jpg
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777wibbleStarCruisersrspicerBridgerMcCgmd3d
    The Rising Star and the Pan-Galactic liner are my top favorite ragtag fleet ships.
    japetus
    The Rising Star and the Pan-Galactic liner are my top favorite ragtag fleet ships.

A lot of my ref comes from this site. They've done a great job cataloguing https://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongallery/index.php?cat=39
    BolianAdmiral
    A WIP render of some greebles on the underside of the Flattop ship! Pretty fun things on this model! 6fparg9cqcmm.jpg
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777StarCruisersrspicerBridgerMcCscifieric
    Loads of greebles! About half done with the underside i think :-D

5gwjb8g3aoph.jpg
    fs90fpyova0w.jpg
    caveat_imperatorashleytingerLizzy777BolianAdmiralwibbleStarCruisersrspicerBridgerMcCscifieric
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Will be following this as well. I did a few of the Rag-Tag Fleet as physical models, as well as the Galactica as a master pattern for client as a kit. Ultimately, Mobeus Models used my master as a basis for their kit.
    Lots of kit-bashing for the original filming models!!
    japetus
    srspicer wrote: »
    Will be following this as well. I did a few of the Rag-Tag Fleet as physical models, as well as the Galactica as a master pattern for client as a kit. Ultimately, Mobeus Models used my master as a basis for their kit.
    Lots of kit-bashing for the original filming models!!

That's awesome! Maybe one day I'll get to the Galactica. Which ships did u do?
    edited December 2021 #10
    I did the Rising Star, Prison ship ( Astral Queen), Mining ship, Gemini Freighter, Colonial Movers, Olympic Carrier. Besides the Galactica.All in 1:4105 scale.
    Post edited by srspicer on
    japetus
    Finally got the top panels done today, just needs a tad cleanup
    ohcevn99qwxh.jpg
    gq1j3f7st9l3.jpg
    arxq2s4hvx6v.png
    wibbleStarCruisersrspicerLizzy777BolianAdmiralBridgerMcC
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    japetus wrote: »
    Loads of greebles! About half done with the underside i think :-D

5gwjb8g3aoph.jpg
    fs90fpyova0w.jpg

Over at modelermagic.com (which is back up and updated again) David Rutherford made a physical model as seen in the March 2, 2020 entry.

japetusStarCruiserBolianAdmiralsrspicerBridgerMustang13Camaro68
    edited January 2022 #13
    Been very busy over break, but got a lot done on this guy! Hope to finish modeling this week or next....just keep finding greebles!

fpj64h66786e.jpg
    0behijk05yoi.jpg
    kogciouvk86j.jpg
    Lizzy777BolianAdmiralsrspicerBridgerwibbleMcCHunter GLeoBerlinBrandenberg
    Very nice work.
    Looks fantastic!
    99% done modeling this guy! Just a few more random greebles to make, but thought i'd start the texture process. Mostly procedural right now...pretty happy with it!

500stehjpg6u.jpg
    f1w3mte9ip9x.jpg
    96tug6b87jis.jpg
    lihhu94t7fqh.jpg
    ya6h79cpwy39.jpg
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777ashleytingerBrandenbergMcCwibblecaveat_imperatorStarCruisersrspicer
    Beautiful!
    edited January 2022 #18
    Did some texturing in Painter of the large fuselage areas and platform. I think a few more greebles and the top super structure need some texture, then it'll be good! sls1986zw6dd.jpg
    z22vllo0bk2w.jpg
    zc99rvbl2sjq.jpg
    vyvpmpziugnw.jpg
    rojrenVALKYRIE013ashleytingerLizzy777BrandenbergxiaorobearMcCwibblecaveat_imperatorStarCruiserand 2 others.
    Messing around with some depth of field settings :-) now it's a really small model haha

e2fbpd26rumg.jpg
    VALKYRIE013Lizzy777Brandenbergwibblecaveat_imperatorStarCruiserBolianAdmiralLeoBerlin
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I love it. I love your work.
    japetus
    To the untrained eye not TOO different from before, but I finished up the texturing in the model. My first experience with UDIMs were are so great to have! Most of the large structures are unwrapped and painted in Substance Painter, while the 1,000 greeble parts are mostly procedural dirt and triplanar mapped. Maybe the next ship I'll be able to do in 1 material! :-D

w578tt2yzydm.jpg
    3ddwxaav5ww4.jpg
    a15yt8nt269e.jpg
    hn7h68nh3thg.jpg
    e6qvoec854k1.jpg
    ddkmwrz36k20.jpg
    xiaorobearwibbleLizzy777McCcaveat_imperatorStarCruisersrspicerBolianAdmiralrojrenLeoBerlinand 1 other.
    Next up trying to finish the Rising Star, which I got burned out on. It's the opposite of the above ship, mostly all smooth panels, it's been a real slog to model all the panels, but i think it looks pretty great! Looking forward to doing the rear engine greebles and windows, something a bit easier.

1ixrjec804nt.jpg
    7un2l4e476a9.jpg
    mwzizm7i90fa.jpg
    xruo00bkh3kz.jpg
    rgh176rzd2x8.png
    StarCruiserLizzy777srspicerBolianAdmirallewisnivenMcCcaveat_imperatorwolfmanLeoBerlinBrandenberg
    Flat top ship looks fantastic, Rising Star is coming along!
    japetus
    Excellent work!
    Ok...been super busy but I haven't forgotten! I've been trying to finish up the back in fits and spurts. I think I finally did it, added a few of my own greebles from my Rodger Young model too (so useful!) But tried to stay true to the filming model. Pretty happy! Just a few little things left to do around the ship before I texture..

o00rp5eiy3kh.jpg
    aslopyglg7bj.jpg
    rrd8yeyx6myz.jpg
    j0qgqf4zelvx.jpg
    Warp Propulsion LaboratorywibbleLizzy777BolianAdmiralashleytingerraztovStarCruisersrspicerLeoBerlinBrandenbergand 1 other.
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    Stunning
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This is all SPECTACULAR work! You are also doing one of the things I've always wanted to do, make all the ships in the Battlestar Galactica fleet. Well done!
    japetus
    scifieric wrote: »
    This is all SPECTACULAR work! You are also doing one of the things I've always wanted to do, make all the ships in the Battlestar Galactica fleet. Well done!
    Only a few more left to do!!

https://giphy.com/gifs/dudebropartymassacre3-5sf-H2mKBb8eO5mwM
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    I'm already curious to see which one you will do next.
    Rough texture start in Painter...got the base colors down..

e38adrvtni0d.jpg
    rr9mmc4k693h.jpg
    aj8d2c927j5v.jpg
    Lizzy777wibbleStarCruiserLeoBerlinBrandenbergcaveat_imperator
    edited February 2022 #31
    More texturing and exhaust test. Didnt get much time today...will finish it up this week, double check things! =)
    nixdlrkaf6gw.png
    taxyh7h0s303.jpg

ioc6zj60zwrb.png

Lizzy777wibblesrspicerZhor2395Brandenbergcaveat_imperator