Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Mankato

Put my "super duper futuristic" starship on hold since I kept beating my head against the wall trying to improve on the design. Came up with this one as I had been wanting to try experimenting with a cutoff saucer shape that I had seen on Disco and in some other fan art renders. If anybody knows the name of the class of ship this is, or what it most closely resembles, please let me know!

I'm also trying to concentrate more on detailing with this one. I know greebling in Trek is a tough topic since some of the canon ships (Miranda class, for example) feature some greebles, but to add too many can quickly steer into Star Wars territory. I've used Chipp Walters KitOps addon for a while now and decided to try adding some of those elements onto this hull to give it a little more detail and dynamic.

Still wrestling with hull panels on this one. I cut some of the shapes using edges in the topology, some booleans, and also some roughness and specular maps. It's a bit of a hodge-podge, but it kinda' works?

Windows and lighting boxes are next. But I've gone pretty hard on this one for the last week so I might take a little bit of a break to rest my brain.

n7ea2409jbdx.png
f00pr68mpeih.png
ocgoazgaoc8h.png
erwicl9uj65v.png
BolianAdmiralLizzy777LeoBerlinpsCargileMustang13Camaro68LoopholeMcC
Tagged:

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I love the name, lol.
    mishasiegfried
  • mishasiegfriedmishasiegfried149 Posts: 65Member
    I love the name, lol.

Thanks! I'm a MN boy.
    BolianAdmiral
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    "We're goin' out in space, yeah?"
    "yeah, final frontier, doncha know?"
    "It's great, but I hear dey got dose Klingons out dere. Dey can be a bit of work."

Seriously though, I LOVE this design, it's simple and looks nice and quick, it's like a stripped down starship. And I love the name too. We have a California class, why not a Minnesota class? I can imagine the backstory to this ship, where they needed a bunch of ships quickly so this was tough little ship was made to fill in the gaps.
    mishasiegfried
    "We're goin' out in space, yeah?"
    "yeah, final frontier, doncha know?"
    "It's great, but I hear dey got dose Klingons out dere. Dey can be a bit of work."

Seriously though, I LOVE this design, it's simple and looks nice and quick, it's like a stripped down starship. And I love the name too. We have a California class, why not a Minnesota class? I can imagine the backstory to this ship, where they needed a bunch of ships quickly so this was tough little ship was made to fill in the gaps.

Thanks! She's designed as a sort of frigate, engineered for speed and maneuverability with firepower. Based on the scale I'm using for my models, she's about half the size of a Constitution class.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Pretty good. The greebles look just enough.
    mishasiegfried
  • paulbhartzogpaulbhartzog345 Posts: 31Member
    This is great. It looks like Trek but it also has some things that are different. Love the direction the nacelles are headed. Hope to see more !
    mishasiegfried
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Cool stuff! Looks Trek but different and unique. I like it
    mishasiegfried
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    I love the name, lol.

Thanks! I'm a MN boy.

I wondered if it might have been named for Mankato, MN lol. I'm about an hour or so from there
    mishasiegfried
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
  • WideFootWideFoot83 Posts: 81Member
    I love the cutoff saucer designs for smaller ships, too! I think they're really underutilized in Trek canon. But to me they remind me of Starship Creator; a really terrible PC game from 1998/2000. It had some interesting ideas about saucer design. (and, by "interesting," I mean "usually ugly"),

The details in this thing are excellent too. I like the idea that in smaller ships, things didn't fit comfortably inside of the hull, so it would be necessary that they squeeze through and are open to space. I also think your deflector is particularly good.

A thing that irks me is that spot on the top of the saucer, behind the bridge where the things in that equipment bay come really close to the edge. I think they're a bit too close and it would look a little more solid with some space added between the equipment bay and the edge of the saucer, (and maybe even more than in that little paint drawing).

I think your nacelles are interesting too. Sort of a transition between TOS and TMP with round nacelles from the former and saucer and impulse engine details from the latter.
    mishasiegfried
    So, I've been doing some interiors to go with this ship. The bridge and engineering are still in progress, but I feel like it's coming together quite nicely. Shout-out to @Rekkert who inspired the shape of the forward console, when I saw how he had a curved version on his most recent build for the Akira class bridge, I thought it was a GREAT way to do the combined version in a new and modern way. My goal with these sets are to try to find a way to straddle the ST VI: TUC style bridge with something that is a forerunner to TNG design aesthetic. I'll be sure to post more as I continue work on them!

zldlhkdemm1b.png
    750bvg41w5xh.png
    usq9frwdikbz.png
    p55pg8s09stf.png
    Lizzy777LeoBerlinRekkertpubliusr
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Solid
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Love what you're doing with those sets! :)
    mishasiegfried
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Love what you're doing with those sets! :)

Thanks, man! High praise coming from you!