Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalU.S.S. Litvyak (Antares-Class)

BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
So, in my continuing desire to rid my living space of clutter, and to actually start building some more of the model kits I have stashed in my closet, taking up space and collecting dust, I've decided to build yet another of the DS9 Dominion War kitbashes - this time, the ship that is likely the single most conservative of them all - the Antares-Class ship, which is basically a stock Miranda-Class ship, with some Excelsior-Class bits and the stand slapped onto it, the stand acting as a Nebula-esque equipment pod. My ship will be named the U.S.S. Litvyak, after the first female fighter pilot to shoot down an enemy aircraft. I've already ordered custom registry decals for the build.

Because we saw so many Antares-Class ships in the background in DS9 episodes, I'm going to operate under the assumption that they were pretty established within the fleet already, probably as a peacetime vessel, and that the existing ones were brought up to modern spec, while new ones were quickly built. Because of this, I'm going to use the same color scheme that Micro-Machines used on their Reliant miniature (as well as their Excelsior miniature), which had the hull the same TNG "duck egg blue" color as the Enterprise-D. I'll most likely be using the TNG-era Starfleet arrowheads and pennants on the model. I'm going to gather all the parts I need tomorrow, and start my prep for priming, so that all the plastic is unified, color-wise. I'll post the first WIP images once construction has begun. For now, here are a couple pics of the actual filming model, for those who are unfamiliar with the Antares-Class.

wkcznquddfhn.jpg

oxf71w66tlxk.jpg

The original filming model was built by Adam Buckner.

- BolianAdmiral

Lizzy777Rekkert
Tagged:

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Sensor pod is painted with the base color. I’m debating the idea of applying a 1mm thick black stripe along the side edge of the pod, to indicate a separation between top and bottom. What do you think?

qwf8cszt4bbp.jpeg

- BolianAdmiral
    RekkertLizzy777Warp Propulsion Laboratory
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    A stripe could work, but solid black might be too much of a contrast. A lighter shade of gray or that blue-green color on the reference model might work better.
    BolianAdmiral
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    That’s a good idea, Lizzy777. Well, all the major bits are primed. For some reason the paint crazed like hell on the pod, so I had to sand it and re-primer.

8a1aaessxju1.jpeg
    o1xsdjadkff5.jpeg
    h4fn71lxrd7t.jpeg
    cfp4jjyxmt2g.jpeg
    o81xxo4a0x9y.jpeg

- BolianAdmiral
    RekkertWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
    Saucers base coated. Paint crazing on nacelles and Excelsior nacelle caps, so those will be redone.

060pwuf1gh9w.jpeg
    wk1lzcrxxm8s.jpeg

- BolianAdmiral
    Lizzy777Rekkert
    This thing is fighting me every step of the way. I’ve had to reprime and repaint the saucer twice.

ajpbitmbv3bu.jpeg
    ashleytingerLizzy777
    Update…

miiofwbizmdw.jpeg

9lqdecsn0ee5.jpeg

ashleytingerRekkertLizzy777
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Coming along nicely :)
    BolianAdmiral
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Thanks. 😊 the underside markings are done.

moxr8rjtbf6q.jpeg
    Lizzy777
    Decided the top needed a bit more color…

cu57p9bcvbcq.jpeg
    RekkertLizzy777MadKoiFish
    Pod is up, along with first markings.

i17pwrulvah4.jpeg
    RekkertLizzy777ashleytinger
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited November 2021 #12
    Love it! I assume you won't add those off-color panels the Antares saucer top had? Also, I wasn't expecting such a high registry number lol
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    BolianAdmiral
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Thanks! Yeah, I won’t be adding those panels, mostly because they’re so asymmetrical, and look odd. The registry number is high because one, we saw so many of these in the background of Starbase 357, that I figured they were being produced well I to the TNG or wartime era, and also because the registration number is a mix of Litvyak’s birth and death years… 1921 and 1943.
    Rekkert
    Also, Voyager’s NCC number is 74656, and we can assume Voyager was built around the time the D was destroyed, so this ship is quite a bit older. She’s even older than the Defiant, going by numbers, and the Defiant is older than Voyager.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Registry's for ships are more a guideline than a rule anyway. Hell the shows didn't even really care about it until TNG and even then handwaved it.

Progressing nicely!
    BolianAdmiral