Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9711 Posts: 5,302Member
    Test render with the window segments as part of the spin or path deform. It seems to look ok and there are not nay real stand out distorted planes. This way the segments have a ever so slight bow to them vs being flat faced. I will have to play some games with the set of sensors that wrap to the backside or "inside" of the pods/saucers leading to the strut joint. Probably should have populated the blank room first heh vs now If I do I will have to clone and align it to 8 rooms now. Though the spun sensors are not collapsed as yet so I can undo them to place stuff.
    ds-g-6-0078.jpg
    ds-g-6-0079.jpg
    And yes, v ray dirt is doing something strange inside that room. I think it is from the shapes of the light being projected inside and a shadow with the room corner being near that window. I might change up some of the materials like make the outter rims hull colored
    Lizzy777FreakStarCruiserRory1707
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Ok was not to annoying. . . . though I might have to consider increasing my segments on the saucers. . . segs visible on the docking arm area.
    ds-g-6-0080.jpg
    Shocked the Lovell just went right in there with no adjustments to the docking collar. Well I did have to spin one around as I had the dock poses all on the wrong sides of the station.

ds-g-6-0081.jpg
    ds-g-6-0082.jpg
    rojrenWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777FreakmishasiegfriedStarCruiserRory1707
    Well I found the distortions the spin created, the inside jambs of the windows. No massive loss there as I would never render out these rooms but figured it would be a laugh to see it once. Why the heck the glass glare looks like that. .
    ds-g-6-0083.jpg
    OK screw it fixed the room interior, have to do it elsewhere too but the strange reflection in the glass was only fixable by making the IRQ a unnatural 1.1. I dunno what to do about this though I have noticed in this file particularly my glass seems broke. No reflections from the hdri etc. It just seems to only render the optical efx on the glass corners and do a optical warp from the iqr and slight change in light or the way things appear through it. Really for all it adds I should just not put glass in windows right now. . . . . . .
    ds-g-6-0084.jpg
    ds-g-6-0085.jpg
    Final image you can see something that has bothered me with vray, that lit box up there is what is lighting the room, if you look you can see it casting shadows on the ceiling. BUT, the whole object is that lum material. So really it should be creating a lighting hotspot. 2nd image as well as I dunno what the default camera is but loads of vertical squish. (film sensor setting)
    Lizzy777FreakmishasiegfriedStarCruiserRory1707Warp Propulsion Laboratory
    edited October 2021 #2465
    Oh man migraine of consecutive crashes, somehow every face got detached on some of the sensors, dunno wtf is with that but gonna excise everything and start over. Also lost all the work from the last post. It seems the aft or sensor sets near the station struts are fine just the ones on the outer ridges. Went to loop edges in those rooms and bleah. As max tried to edge loop a large group of detached faces. I was doing this with the pathdeform above the stack so maybe some setting in that tool detached the faces, I dunno. Just not happy as right now I just quickly selected all detached faces and welded them so there is probably lost detail somewhere. I just cannot be assed to revert to the base meshes and respin all this shit. I just hope to fuck that nothing else got screwed over.

Ever since max changed how the viewports look EG single sided vs 2 sided display as well as the way backculling looks or looks without it has been a visual mess of shit. Edge view that comes and goes a inability to know if you got doubled faces (caused a lot in bridging edges or cuts gone wrong) Backside edges in gray with the same fucking gray for a backdrop. . . . etc etc.
    examples (also test of alt upload location)
    ds-g-6-0086.png
    what it should look like
    ds-g-6-0087.png

OK editing in those images again as I changed the site name. Why the site title means the user name is beyond me.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Lizzy777StarCruiserRory1707
    edited October 2021 #2466
    Sheesh Ok all back in one peice. Decided to collapse all the spun crap to avoid any possible clone issues or saving issues. All the autobak files were useless as that one object was gone from all of them and all the instanced parts least of the domes were just NOT there.

ds-g-6-0088.jpg

Lizzy777FreakStarCruiserRory1707
    edited October 2021 #2467
    Slow down as I debate what it is I should put under these caps. The drawing looks like a detail of some sort is here but I dunno I had planned to do windows but I was also thinking of doing a K7 like window dome on the tops. If that is the case then doing some in this groove might be a bit too much.
    ds-g-6-0089.jpg
    ds-g-6-0090.jpg
    ATM I just spun a mess of windows. Earlier windows I was doing by hand vs the spin em all and decimate.

Better idea of the look than wall of windows. . .
    ds-g-6-0091.jpg
    Lizzy777caveat_imperatormishasiegfriedStarCruiserRory1707srspicer
    Some small refinements to the domes. Slow going as I am cleaning my music drive and found a mess of un-tagged no art rips.

ds-g-6-0093.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777caveat_imperatorStarCruiserRory1707srspicer
    Put the sensors on the central tower. Put some windows in the lower area as there is a gap, loads of extra radiation for those occupying those rooms. . . though I am not sure I will go this route, might just do similar angled patters like on the lower part of the central hab.
    ds-g-6-0096.jpg

Oh, also plan is to have similar dome markings to the K7 so the red paint would change per dome. Thinking of red, green, yellow instead of the red, green, blue of the k7 as the blue is on the central tower.
    Lizzy777caveat_imperatorStarCruiserRory1707
    edited October 2021 #2470
    UGH always something, all the work today gone. Spinning these panels just is not working right and keeps crashing max or creating some sort of fucked up mesh that fails edits " cannot complete operation" "failed task" etc. Autobak is failing as it is saving once ever 2 to 4 hours or whenever it feels like it. Worst is when I spin it totally distorts the mesh and flips it all sorts of wrong ways and spins not around the spline path but some 200meters outside of it. With all this shit I am about to just quit and return to modeling off the core object instead of this fuckery. Waste of goddamned time.

Image shows the before and results the spline it paths to is inside the core as one pulled off the core geo makes this loop even larger. Also if I rotate along the path it pivots from the gizmo center not the path. Nothing prior did this, just today and I have rebuilt this damned pattern multiple times.

ds-g-6-0098.png

So back to the dividing faces off the original geo and manually cutting shit then spinning it with the array tool vs this horse crap.

Oh yeah it renders out like this too. No flipped faces etc just fails this material. . . . .
    Render shows I sorta got it to work OK but this rendering out wrong is not gonna work. BTW it is the same material as on the main body.
    ds-g-6-0099.jpg
    OK I figured that out somehow the pathdeform is turning the mesh inside out. . . -_- Again the whole reason I fucking hate what discreet has done with viewport display as you cannot tell what is the front face of a fucking polygon because the display NO MATTER what is double faced. EG no proper backface culling.

Anyhow this is where I got it but, I just dunno if I can trust it anymore. It also looks like it has possibly wobbled the smaller parts.

ds-g-6-0100.jpg

SO gonna restart max and maybe reboot the whole machine just in case. Then see what has blown up in the file itself as I have found things save not as they appear in the viewports.
    FreakLizzy777StarCruiserRory1707
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    (This is probably old news to you.) Whenever any Autodesk software I've used starts behaving badly, (like locating things in places they shouldn't be) it seems to be because my Windows Temp folder is now packed with (as many as) tens of thousands of Autodesk crap files. Many of the files don't go away unless I delete them.
    Joke is this mostly took me 15min to do after all that time wasted doing it the other way. . . . It took longer to do windows.
    Speaking of which I need to shift a few about too close to the pillars in places. Also I am rethinking some of the windows, it I think would get to TMP looking if I were to dump a mess on the dome tops, and I also have to think of a way to break up the central hull some and those saucers. I do not want to get too panel heavy but I need something there I think. So far most of the panels I have done likely wont even resolve. Maybe I will boost the textures, add some diffuse panels vs just gloss and aniso.
    ds-g-6-0101.jpg
    ds-g-6-0102.jpg
    opps forgot to post this. (4hours later. . )
    Lizzy777FreakStarCruiserRory1707srspicer
    rojren wrote: »
    (This is probably old news to you.) Whenever any Autodesk software I've used starts behaving badly, (like locating things in places they shouldn't be) it seems to be because my Windows Temp folder is now packed with (as many as) tens of thousands of Autodesk crap files. Many of the files don't go away unless I delete them.

I have looked and my temp dir the classic one under the user dir (well classic as in win7) has the dump files from max crashing nothing else. Just random temp files at 0k for other various apps like clip studio. I have been relocating all the shit folders max makes to another NVME drive to minimize slowdowns due to saturating the main drives BW. Old trick from the win95 days to eliminate program halts. That and well autobak even on pcie 4 slows the application to a crawl if I allow it to write those files to the root. That and far much easier for me to retain data when the root or OS drive eventually takes a shit. (then again since moving to ssd then to NVME I have not had failure rates like with spinning rust.)

So far I think what I am encountering is either a bug or something I am doing that is not letting the modifier to do it's thing. I have never had luck with splines. When I started getting deep into 3d back in 04/05 everyone was hot to do with spline cages. Drove me insane as with max they would NEVER cage the right way or direction. So it has always been a fight. It did not matter if I retained the same ortho view in creation of the spline.

Thing I was most mad about was how much time I lost and wasted doing something I could do my old way much faster. It's that stubbornness (or is that blindsidedness??) to do it that one way instead of saying fukit early on and just go at it in some other way.

Small update: moved windows about and messed with the finer details of the design. I think it works better than the greebles. In some ways makes me want to take this approach where I had put the other sensors as well.

ds-g-6-0103.jpg
    ds-g-6-0104.jpg
    ds-g-6-0105.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777FreakStarCruiserRory1707
    Starting to have a rethink, on using design inspiration from an outside source. It was intended to tie in other material from the trek universe as a way to allow people to relate to what is depicted in other media.

So there is the chance the entire central core will just be deleted and redone. I have I feel deviated enough on the pods I can still use the work done on them. I dunno, opinions?? Also looking at my model and the single drawing that lower half of the central part is all way off, needs to be shorter and thinner. EG the stepping is not aggressive enough from the central collar.

Image, quick chop up of the discs themselves with a pattern idea. The flat gray area will be "tapered" sort of to allow a cut in for some more windows without them being skylights. Mostly to break up the form some. It is divided up in to 8ths so I can have unique divisions near the strut interface.I doubt any of this will show up in the final work but meh. I probably will reuse this station in other projects in the future so might as well. Idea here is to keep the panels simple and less broken up to retain the TOS feel but have something a bit more too look at other than a huge smooth form. Plan is the black markings are just to define the panels I do not plan to retain them unless I need something there to fake the visual effect from a distance. Plan is all of it will be the same hull color just UVWed differently. (atm it is all one uvw pattern)
    ds-g-6-0106.jpg
    ds-g-6-0107.jpg
    ds-g-6-0108.jpg
    I am also still on the fence about tossing those greebs for something like what I did near the top of the central core. More I look at them the more they appear way off scale and not really in keeping with TOS, even a modernized one.
    trekkiLizzy777caveat_imperatorStarCruiserRory1707Freak
    Some quickie windows in the cut ins for a rough idea.

ds-g-6-0109.jpg
    ds-g-6-0110.jpg
    ashleytingerrojrenLizzy777caveat_imperatorStarCruiserRory1707Freaksrspicer
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I really like the cuts with the windows. They add a layer of complexity to the outer domes without being too in your face about it.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I'm getting a 1960's architectural feel from the design.
    Replaced the columns on the central hat so they are unified to the hull vs some slatted objects. I might also remove the "foot" I still need to refine the sipes where the windows sit, I want to eliminate that curvature that is there. Maybe step it before it approaches the windows. Idea is to add a inset above the windows so they are sorta shaded like the ones further up.

ds-g-6-0113.jpg
    ds-g-6-0114.jpg

This is the idea of how that lower bay will work. For now it is just a box there to sit in.
    430647main_mccall05_full.jpg
    lewisnivenashleytingerBolianAdmiralLizzy777caveat_imperatorRekkertStarCruiserRory1707Freak
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Love the cutouts Dan!!!
    Adjusted pits and cloned about the station. I might replace some of these larger windows with the smaller ones. ATM the cut ins are windowed with an array vs just random windows. I will probably work on the bottom of the saucers today. Though I might get distracted making an alternative to the greebles. . . .
    ds-g-6-0115.jpg
    ds-g-6-0116.jpg
    ds-g-6-0117.jpg

Oh also a bit of scale. I forgot I do have a shuttle that is kinda TOS but it I think need conversion so ehhh. Probably add that to the list sigh. ANYHOW the Lovell should be enough to show how large any opening I place here will be. Spacecraft will engage with it in this orientation as well.

ds-g-6-0118.jpg
    Lizzy777rojrenashleytingerRory1707VALKYRIE013StarCruiserFreakcaveat_imperatorsrspicer
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    Beautiful, I love it! 🖖🏾
    edited November 2021 #2483
    Ok thought I lost this one, forgot it was modeled in a subfolder of another ship. Sheesh so needless to say spent time moving it to a new folder and restructuring the links then the process of converting it to vray. That and remembering what I had set to what materials wise. Trying to use the same mats in a blanket set up for all of these so red is red, hull color is similar, etc across all the projects. Slow going as simple things in mental ray like ramping up gloss to make for a glossy semi metallic detail on the hull is not so simple in vray. Also does not play with light like it did in mray, well at least in a similar way that I could predict. So some materials will not look exactly like my older renders. Then again I think this thing was in the middle of a mental ray refit in of itself. Some older renders show red paint on the bottom and sides which the more recent files do not have anymore. It was oh 2016 since these were last saved. heh. Also got some "callback" in error so hopefully I can eliminate them from the files.
    tos-shuttle-vray-0001.jpg

Ah good example of how glossy or reflective objects do strange things, those satin silver parts on the trailing edge of the struts, just look all strange in shadow. Also lots of cheats in MRay like simple chamfers to break edges really stand out in vray.
    tos-shuttle-vray-0002.jpg
    tos-shuttle-vray-0003.jpg

Also max has done it again all the "hidden" edges got re-turned. SO I am having to correct the really nasty ones as I go. Most are ok and it is just my dislike seeing them turned in stupid directions.

I fear the interior on this as it is full of aircraft like module displays. EG loads of little light buttons and knobs all over. Some of these individual objects might get all grouped into one large one to ease the materials transfer.

Some images of it in mental ray from way back:
    tos-shuttle-023.jpg?w=400
    tos-shuttle-024.jpg?w=400
    how those lines SHOULD look.
    tos-shuttle-039.jpg?w=400
    The interiors. . .
    tos-shuttle-032.jpg?w=400
    tos-shuttle-035.jpg?w=400
    tos-shuttle-036.png?w=400
    I might just black out the windows lol.
    raztovRekkertashleytingerRory1707FreakLizzy777caveat_imperatorLeoBerlin
    edited November 2021 #2484
    Well more things I meant to post hours ago but did not. . . Interior bits.
    tos-shuttle-vray-0005.jpg
    tos-shuttle-vray-0006.jpg
    And the final full vray conversion for now. Might recon some parts and alter others but eh. Stuff like the overly busy looking nacelle front ends and bussard guts. off render times bloated up quite a bit since I started lol. (4min for whole ship pass) Longer when closer in.

tos-shuttle-vray-0007.jpg
    tos-shuttle-vray-0008.jpg
    tos-shuttle-vray-0009.jpg
    tos-shuttle-vray-0010.jpg
    Now to test to see if all the MR puke is out of the file or not. heh. . . . . . . yeah great a glow shader somewhere. . . . . . . ugh

CHRIST, 3 hours later and I finally expunged the damned mental ray shit from the file. . . . . god. Why the material application just randomly chooses to just make more material IDs instead of overwriting the selected one and other times it wont. I cannot even just dump a material on as soon as I select say ID 2 it wipes all of them so I have to either redo all the material IDs over by hand or undo it and do it one at a time so I risk it making 50 IDs as it just makes more vs overwriting the old ones. -_-.

What I find odd is I found other arch design mats in things when the software was only screaming about the AO shader DLL from mental ray. There has got to be a better way but google availed me only on how to ADD missing dlls not eradicate them or find where or what object is containing it. I mean I cannot be the only motherfucker converting files and not being blanket nuking everything by stripping all the materials off and wiping all mat IDs off a mesh. I mean hell, doing that I might as well just delete al the files and rebuild the damned thing as it likely will take much longer to redo all the materials.

Next thing is to figure out how to keep the fucking eyedropper from COPYING materials instead of instancing them. Why the hell they changed that as it is fucking annoying to have 12 copies of "satin silver" That or give us the ability to have more than 4X6 materials in the editor.
    ashleytingerRory1707VALKYRIE013StarCruiserFreakBolianAdmiralLizzy777caveat_imperatorLeoBerlin
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Ah, remember that shuttle, very nice!

Loving the station.
    Suggestion, that one of the bays go all the way through, so shuttles, workbees, etc can just pick up and fly through, making one of the 3 arms a cargo/resupply module. Just a thought when i seen the 2001 inspiration.

Any plans on larger windows? like 2or3 decks tall for a promenade, or green area someplace?
    edited November 2021 #2486
    Fly through would disrupt the forms and mean work in an area that wont be seen. There is no real cargo through put EG mercantile goods in, goods out or massive construction that would justify a fly-through.
    Large open windows are just as much off the list for time, I have about a month to finish and convert files then render this all out. I might have some showcase spaces on the tops of the domes but nothing too detailed beyond the glass. Least for now.

Idea is as follows vanguard and most of the early TOS stations where the hab rooms would be all along the hull looking into a central hab (think I mentioned this) that would be an arcade or green space. Kind of like how golden gate park or central park is done. The struts would be a few large corridors flanked by shops etc. (a promenade of sorts I guess) While all the station keeping and other official workings are held more in the central core.
    In print this station is probably going to be no more than 8"X6"
    starbase-47-schematic.jpg
    same ideas that those old scotts guide illustrations had.
    caveat_imperator
    A more simplistic clamp design and messing with the internals of the bussards. Very tempted to just stuff various bulb shapes and eliminate all the complex crap inside of these. Also lowered the bulb cowling some, I should shift those lights further forward too.
    tos-shuttle-vray-0014.jpg
    tos-shuttle-vray-0015.jpg

This render shows one bussard with the glossy over cap with 2 sides on the matte one and how it alters the look. It shouldn't but I suspect the inner wall is too close to the matte object so it is causing it to clip off. So in all likely hood I will probably just eliminate the glossy cap than spend time screwing with it.
    BolianAdmiralRory1707Lizzy777caveat_imperator
    edited November 2021 #2488
    I think I could probably make the pod opening smaller. >_> Shuttles really give an idea of scale, almost makes me think maybe I went a bit too large.

ds-g-6-0119.jpg
    ds-g-6-0120.jpg
    ashleytingerHunter GRory1707Lizzy777caveat_imperatorFreak
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I think it looks fine. This way they can handle small transports in there or the TOS equivalent of a runabout. It's good for moving odd shaped cargo too.
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    I actually really like it that size, it could also work for larger cargo
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    Maybe reduce the size by 5-10% ?

Looking at the windows in that close-up pic, it looks like you could almost fit the shuttle through the window :p