Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Dan, long time no see. This is quite excellent brother.

hah ninjaed me >_> odd how the forum did not load the post when I posted mine. Anyhow yeah been a while loads of people seemed to have just vanished about the time covid started be it forum deaths or just moving to other platforms. Just hope a few others that I have not seen in a while have just moved on and not anything worse. . . . been too much worse lately.

Image is test of lazy windows or misc lights in a pit thing. Just elements spun on the stations axis. VS cut outs etc. Plan is to do this like the other station via textures or cheats for now as this wont be too large in my use for now. Clearly I will come back to it later and have some fun. Would be cool to do some close in renders with it as a focus vs ships, or use as a close in background filling object.
    tos-connie-vray-091.jpg

tos-connie-vray-092.jpg
    LoopholeLizzy777Freakcaveat_imperator
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    That's looking great.
    Joint in, shoulda done halfed sides but got distracted by the influence of the joint on the connie deflector and well oops heh. Pretend there is some sort of mechanical chain or magnetic drive inside of the joint halves. I would rig a external system but that would need to have a huge ring or extension arms to get the degree of deflection needed.

tos-connie-vray-093.jpg

tos-connie-vray-094.jpg

It is a whole mess of grouped objects atm to allow it to hinge on the pivot and rotate. I will rig something better later on. For now it'll just point down in future renders.
    Lizzy777Freak
    Decided to do some quick uvw and to make the hull a unique material and tossed on some maps to give it some paneling. Not sure if I will break up the saucer pats into grids or not but I will likely map on some random panels outside of the simple variation of gloss and aniso. Also thinking of putting on a overdone grimy AO shader onto it as well.
    ds-g-6-0002.jpg
    ds-g-6-0003.jpg
    ds-g-6-0004.jpg

Also debating on if I should drab it out or do an entirely different color to the connie.
    Lizzy777LoopholepubliusrFreakashleytinger
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Perfect!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    edited October 2021 #2407
    Maybe one of the arms leads to a type of Connie sized dock instead of another saucer?
    Another a factory block of some sort? just spitballing, a bit asymetry?

For Webp files, Infranview can open them, and you can Save As, and save it as a jpeg, png, and it be okay. I do that alot at work.
    Though you have to watch out for it, it loves to ocasionally become the default viewer..

Looking good!
    Post edited by VALKYRIE013 on
    edited October 2021 #2408
    Issue is re-compressing a file that pisses me off. If the source is a jpg but is being coded into a webp if I resave it again that is just introducing more crap into the file. To me it is just plain stupid format for no reason but to be a PITA. ATM I use some stupid online converter and output at png but that means a png with jpg source.

None of the saucers are large enough to contain a constitution. I had thought about this but it would mean tieing the station to a specific class of ship if there are any changes in size it means the station is depreciated. It is more like a slightly larger K7 not a repair or maintenance facility. That sort of thing is what a starbase is for those huge arse facilities. Vanguard is a example of a TOS era one. I think in scale it is about 3times larger than this one.
    As for pod/saucer use I was thinking of various accommodations in them for crew facilities and entertainment. So one could have some huge arse windows for a large green space or a open city skyline. However with my timeline to work in it would be a feature "off screen" I have maybe another month to build this thing and maybe a month to do conversions of 2 to 3 other models. Latter mostly because MR materials seem to cause 2019 and vray to crash a lot.

HOWEVER nothing says the ship needs to dock linearly to the station I think a connie can fly in perpendicular to the saucers and fit.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    edited October 2021 #2409
    Ok looked it over you can volume wise fit a connie in the saucer, it would need to have a HUGE door that would be hampered by that groove running the length of the saucers though as a upper or lower opening is too shallow or too "tight" to allow comfortable clearance.
    My idea above would require altering the profile of the lower ring of the saucer to clear the connie saucer and the ship is just too long to fit. Only place large enough would be the central core and that would mean the dome would have to open in some manner, really outside the design for the shapes and forms. So yeah likely no massive ship docks for containing them in a enclosed bay.

I will stick to the original idea of a hardpoint on the saucers for large ship interface. It keeps them away from the core and away from all the other bits of station. IE ships moving around between the core and struts and other saucers.
    Some images of a connie and one of the saucers.

ds-g-6-0007.png

One thing I had thought about was abilities of these saucers to detach and other modules to attach to it but I wondered how that would affect balance. If this orbited a planet or moon how would it affect retaining that orbit as well as if it was just in open space or orbiting a star if the unbalanced mass would cause issues in maintaining position or in maneuvering /maintaining position. I dunno too much thinking for a background model ATM.
    No problem, just had a thought of, if a ship was damaged, and it made it to this "Star Base" how it would help in repairing it. Maybe have a large cargo facility, number of shuttle bay with repair ships/shuttles?
    Anyways, keep on with what you have in mind :)
    Close up of the dish, spine is still connie parts. I forget what else I changed. Fine details are suggestive atm I even doubt if I will use the copper coloring.
    ds-g-6-0008.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777Freak
    No problem, just had a thought of, if a ship was damaged, and it made it to this "Star Base" how it would help in repairing it. Maybe have a large cargo facility, number of shuttle bay with repair ships/shuttles?
    Anyways, keep on with what you have in mind :)

Well there would be cargo storage and that sort of thing but massive overhaul stuff like replacing a nacelle or massive refitting would need a starbase vs a Deep Space Station. This would be the pick up supplies and crew rotation watering hole sort of place. Something more equipped than a K7 like station. There will be shuttle bays and smaller craft bays on this just nothing to house a Connie class or larger starships. Those would have to dock and use external gantry for repairs. Maybe fold out systems off the saucers or something that can be stowed in the station elsewhere to be assembled. This is what I was thinking of having in the saucer bottoms, a BAB5 like opening to move stuff in and out. There is what looks like a open bay in the central core too. Anyhow lots of stuff can be in those slots in the saucers as it is just a bunch of horz lines in the drawing. Then again I am not making a 100% copy of it just ended up heavily influenced by it so far. That and more shits and giggles for anyone who might recognize it.

I also suspect something going on in the base of those top domes. It isnt a consistent detail either so dunno maybe defense emplacements or smaller shuttle storage or just other systems like deflectors or a row of observation windows. Well a massive row lol.

So far this is the only image I have seen of this design. I do suspect the artist used rudimentary 3d models to trace in to the comic as there is way too much consistency in things exp the ships over various shots. But eh.
    Pointy bit and some other random stuff. The braces and how they interface with those copper rings is all still WIP, reason those rings are still just simple shapes. Dish proper is still in flux too.

ds-g-6-0009.jpg
    ds-g-6-0010.jpg
    lewisnivenWarp Propulsion Laboratorycaveat_imperatorLizzy777FreakraztovStarCruiser
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    spot on, that looks great already.
    edited October 2021 #2415
    Lots of fighting with this cargo bay opening. I might just revert it and go with something else such as separate parts and have the angle of the stepped parts change so the reveal is not so subtle and not requiring some dodgy stepping to get the side view to match up. Example of this is the upper lip of the second step down I had to increase the thickness so much it is a bit odd looking from the lower angle. Anyhow way too late and finding things to distract such as listing to all sorts of odd cultural music on youtube as I do not have a player on this pc and the other one is doing something where foo just causes all sorts of issues. (it even lags my games dunno why)
    ds-g-6-0013.jpg
    ds-g-6-0014.jpg
    lol screw it here is a quick dirty 5min example.

ds-g-6-0015.jpg

What I am not sure on is if I will replicate this in the 3 directions. I think only having it facing one way works as it limits cross traffic.

Some urls of the odd stuff I am finding. What I did was search for pop shamisen and just keep clicking through on anything that catches my eye, found all sorts of strange stuff one was a like neolithic stuff no modern instruments etc.
    some Mongolian metal. . .

like next years iphone aspect ratio. :p 99X7
    gah I cannot find the neolithic one again. I did find one of the early ones, ludwig to electric guitar.

And of course tonnes of Nightwish for some odd reason
    and of course yoshida bros. instrumental cut of this song.

and a buttload of wagakki band.

playlist as I dunno where most of the ones that played are.

at some point the stranger the thumbnail the more likely I was to click.

oh uh it makes videos in the post OOPS dunno how to avoid that. oh well. Do know my sugeestion feed is going to be all sorts of messed up. . . heh
    Lizzy777StarCruiser
  • new_purplenew_purple112 Posts: 62Member
    Looking good! Would there be cargo doors on the three saucers?
    new_purple wrote: »
    Looking good! Would there be cargo doors on the three saucers?

Might be dunno yet, sort of addressed it in posts from yesterday. If there is going to be anything it will likely only be cargo access for the facilities inside. The saucers would be mostly apartments and rooms surrounding a park or other community space. I will likely add such access to the lower bit on the bottom of the discs like the entry for bab5 they would be perpendicular to the decks but that shouldn't matter much as down is wherever the grav plates are.
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    edited October 2021 #2418
    I knew that 'Hu' music sounded familiar, they contributed to the Jedi: Fallen Order soundtrack.
    Post edited by lewisniven on
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    The Hu are amazing. Absolutely love their stuff.

And I really like this station.
    Ok got that lower end worked out and filled in all the gaps and bits. Still some stuff to do in that area. I dunno how I will work the bay, sliding panels open pit etc. Likely go for some sort of door covering as I do not want to model a interior. Also started testing window cheats. Sadly none will have that randomness the connie has as she has real rooms and lights to create that effect. The test is just a object with a glowing blurry thing textured on it. Jambs measure roughly 4ftX10ft I figure a station would have more to it to support the luxury of larger holes. Granted these are the generic window, likely be other various sizes here and there.
    ds-g-6-0017.jpg
    ds-g-6-0018.jpg

rotated the hdri about to you can see things. . . . .
    ds-g-6-0019.jpg
    Lizzy777paulbhartzogFreakStarCruiser
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Very cool. You are the man MKF.
    edited October 2021 #2422
    Thanks,

Well as much as I do not want to I need to verify files will open and render, so a quick test of assets I might use. Gonna be a real fun job testing to see if these will all match up as they are very separated from the once unified materials sets I had built up over the years.

The Lovell and a Miranda that will need renaming. Though all will need conversion. And well the plain Daedalus needs a conversion too so EUGH dunno how I will go about it, yet. It has been so long ago I forget what was changed and altered. I probably should have set up the model with the LOVELL parts as unique layers and the older ships counterparts in a separate folder so I could hide and un-hide as needed. oops heh.
    lovell-041.jpg
    lovell-042.jpg

The Miranda looks better mostly cause it has textures vs procedural stuff and MR shaders.

miranda-vray-001.jpg
    miranda-vray-002.jpg

Will clearly have to rename these too least in this case. Though I might luck out and none of the text will be readable. . . but ehh who knows.
    FreakBolianAdmiralLizzy777StarCruisersrspicerpubliusr
    Well actually I am wrong here I should be converting the plain Daedalus if I should even include it at all. . . . . so I might not.
    lovell-vray-001.jpg
    lovell-vray-002.jpg

ds-g-6-0020.jpg
    Either way it will get converted at some point. . . . .
    ashleytingerFreaklennier1BolianAdmiralLizzy777StarCruisercaveat_imperator
    The essential Kitbash. . . lol took some work effort and cloned bits of the nacelle around to duplicate the grills etc so you could argue it has paired coils in one nacelle. I did flip the hull because I thought those end caps would make sense to point to the ships center in front to back vs just having them as they were when the nacelle was at the top of the ships "envelope"

Deflector I dunno what right now. Hated the deflector dish on a pole thing I have seen most often as it treats the dish as the mechanical part of the deflector system when likely there would be a much larger machine room and mechanics behind just the dish itself. Thinking I could extend a housing off the neck. Wont be textured but at the distance I plan to use it it wont need it.
    tos-connie-vray-095.jpg

Oh yeah 4k cause I forgot to reset things from the last time I had the connie open. . . derp.

hrrrmmmmm looks like my hole texture took a turd again too. Getting sick of these grills always loosing the map for the holes.

And boy I need to figure out why this keyboard seems to be overiding my typematic rate as Loads of doubled lletters. Cannot be the switches as heavily tactiles shouldnt do this any more than linears or crappy browns in my other board.
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777
    There we go not to color match the main part to that leading edge bit. Too bad for anyone in that lower area of the saucer, their rad count just went up. Considered putting it in the saucer itself but clearances did not work well and would have some huge tube coming out not to mention loads of editing of the mesh to account for it.
    tos-connie-vray-096.jpg

tos-connie-vray-097.jpg

tos-connie-vray-098.jpg

I still cannot see how these would work. That is a huge amount of volume ripped out that would have to be supported by other things. Maybe if I were to build this from scratch Id yank off most of the neck windows and extend it and maybe fatten it up more. I also think the lower saucer would be altered in some manner.

Anyhow it works for now, I will change registry etc later on.

trekkiashleytingerLizzy777srspicerpubliusrcaveat_imperatorFreak
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    An option that will anger the trekkers a bit, but I think makes plenty of sense is to replace the Bussard collector with the detector emitter.

Btw, I really like your TOS Miranda and Daedalus ships
    publiusr
  • ZoidZillaZoidZilla340 Posts: 17Member
    johnl2112 wrote: »
    An option that will anger the trekkers a bit, but I think makes plenty of sense is to replace the Bussard collector with the detector emitter.
    I kinda support the idea, would be interesting.

Alternative you could place the deflector where it is on the Saladin class. https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/saladin-rescan/1.jpg
    But there it kinda blocks the bussard as well.
    When I did mine, I just lengthend the neck part to where the deflector cleared the bottom of the saucer.
    51598223979_9f6780f1a6_o.png

Or you could just put a smaller deflector under the hull like:
    https://www.starfleet-museum.org/avenger.jpg

Also, could put a shuttle bay on top?
    51597787203_7883fe1617_b.jpg

edited October 2021 #2429
    [Link to the saladin] That is the whole design I refer to. A dish on a pole. It is bisecting the planetary sensor and (for some) the weapons mount for the phasers/torpedos. It accounts for no internal components it is just copy pasting a element of the ship without regard to the mechanics involved. If the deflector dish was just a radio dish fine it could work if you disregard how it could or would affect components in sits on.

To note the whole point of this is to not spend hours or days on the bashes. These are to act as fill in the background and act as a recognizable design.
    BolianAdmiral
    Final mess about. I cannot do much more without messing up the uvws on the neck but extending it just 6ft or so lets most of the bits clear. Tempted to try and erase some of the windows around the dish. But as mentioned spending too much time on a BG ship. Weird seeing all the backside copper of the dish so I added some ribs to break it up. I could keep going but meh calling it done for now. (stuff like making the nacelle itself larger as it seems small EXP in the forward view)
    tos-connie-vray-099.jpg
    FWD view
    tos-connie-vray-100.jpg
    With the connie for comparison

tos-connie-vray-101.jpg

Lizzy777paulbhartzogcaveat_imperator
    When I did mine, I just lengthend the neck part to where the deflector cleared the bottom of the saucer.
    51598223979_9f6780f1a6_o.png

Or you could just put a smaller deflector under the hull like:
    https://www.starfleet-museum.org/avenger.jpg

Also, could put a shuttle bay on top?
    51597787203_7883fe1617_b.jpg

LOL you know you always DO this. . . . post while I am making a post so you get ignored until a few posts later! Dunno how you manage it every time.

As mentioned in the post right after these are not full on project ships. I personally think the kelvin layout solved a lot of these issues. The idea of lengthening the neck is where I would go, well sorta did. . . but not as drastically as I would if I were to specifically model this ship or layout.

Smaller deflectors always bugged me to a ce4rtian extent. If a smaller unit could be done why would the connie have a larger one etc. (yeah sure could be shorter range and so forth but eh. Anyhow goal is to use the parts to bash in something to act as a filler that matches the connie more than my Daedalus Reliant and the wedge trek model. (heck I even have that 4 nacelle nightmare I could include too technically.)

Said I was gonna stop but a few bits I may or may not keep. Busy trying to clear quests so I can unlock a damned event in a game. So between automated scenes I keep modeling. . . .

tos-connie-vray-103.jpg

tos-connie-vray-104.jpg
    publiusrcaveat_imperatorFreakLizzy777BolianAdmiral