Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDestructible Realtime Miranda-Class

xiaorobearxiaorobear682 Posts: 171Member
I need an adversary for my still ongoing Klingon Bird of Prey, and also wanted to test out some Federation textures and destructibility. What ship fits the bill better than a Miranda-class? So I have made a ~19,000 tris Miranda model that I would like to animate to be destroyed.
giphy.gif
(smoother / higher quality turntable here: https://gfycat.com/needysizzlingdove)

My next steps for this are:
  • UV map the model
  • Texture a clean version and a burnt up version, set up a mask to blend between the 2.
  • Possibly model some mangled structural pieces to put on edges if I delete any parts.
  • Animate an exploding test with stock explosions comped in
  • Possibly put it in a game engine and allow you to shoot at and reveal the damaged sections before it explodes?

g1ffyz9fsrrj.jpg

Lizzy777Rekkertsrspicerwibble

• xiaorobearxiaorobear682 Posts: 171Member
    Unwrapped and started in on the markings and major hull lines. No roughness maps or aztecking yet, I just want to get all the features in the right place in PS. Afterwards I'll take it into Substance Painter to go for realism.

6433gq17b5ol.png
    RekkertLizzy777gerb200srspicerwibbleStarCruiser
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    Where did the name come from?
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    Where did the name come from?

Named after a 15th century Sultan/astronomer/mathematician who built observatories and islamic schools in what is now Uzbekistan. wiki link, seemed fitting for a starfleet ship. The number was just an unused one close to some other Mirandas.

Testing out some emission...
    xd5a1o1qw0ri.png
    Lizzy777wibbleStarCruiser
    edited January 2022 #5
    I ended up having to take a pause on this and ran out of steam on the texturing for a bit. But I'm back to it. Here is the rollbar textured, just have to get the rest of the ship up to that standard. Not accurate up close, but should look good from afar / in motion!

0to16h1e348o.png
    Post edited by xiaorobear on
    wibbleashleytingerLizzy777srspicerMcCStarCruiser
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Very cool idea and work! Keep going!
    xiaorobear
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    Accurate or not it looks good
    xiaorobear
    edited January 2022 #8
    Thank you! Here are a couple of screenshots from sketchfab testing, so this is realtime. I think the nacelles/rollbar section's materials are all looking good to go and dialed in. I just need to bake the running lights onto that section, and then texture the saucer/body.
    ddkjf2bdwnoh.png

0tuneun2f2bu.png

Lizzy777srspicerashleytingerwibbleMcCMustang13Camaro68japetusHunter GStarCruiser
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    How many polys did this end up being?
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    Love it. Can't wait to see it destroyed.
    xiaorobear
    Thank you! Here is a tiny bit of progress on that front, testing out masking on alternate burnt textures via vertex paint. Very bad quality capture, sorry, but you get the gist: https://gfycat.com/gregariousaccuratekakapo
    japetus wrote: »
    How many polys did this end up being?

It is 9824 polies / 19212 tris, I am pretty pleased with that amount. Might go up a bit if I conceal some damaged edge pieces inside to be revealed.
    wibblepubliusr
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    edited January 2022 #12
    Now I like coming up with different weapon concepts for different FX.

Here, the image suffers dichotomizations/pixelations along with the scorching…so the idea of a “femto-disruptor” seems apt.
    Post edited by publiusr on
    edited January 2022 #13
    Hah, that would be fun. I enjoyed the pixelated energy sword in Scott Pilgrim too, that kind of effect. Hopefully when I get it going in Unity there will be no pixelation though. :grin:

I haven't had much time to work on it lately, still have to do the aztec pattern for the saucer- right now it just has procedural random rectangles that aren't radial. But I started adding the windows.yoxvsdyyw5ic.png
    Lizzy777wibble
    Still just chipping away- added some more windows, aztecs, greeble pits.
    sd625734tzuj.png
    ashleytingerwibbleLizzy777McC
    edited February 2022 #15
    Haven't had too much time to work on this, but here is a fun little WIP animation test. Still missing lots of details and lights.
    Low quality gif version:
    nqTxjoq.gif

Smoother html5 version:
    https://gfycat.com/sentimentalevergreenjackrabbit
    Lizzy777wibblelennier1ashleytinger
  • wibblewibble1122 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 493Member
    Oh what a joy a simple flyby can bring you.
    xiaorobear