Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    edited October 2021 #3332
    *corner
    Post edited by Rory1707 on
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Rory1707 wrote: »
    *corner

Dude, you can edit your posts. Just click on the little cog on the top right of your message.
    BolianAdmiral
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    @Rory1707: This is meant to be the USS Victory as it looked in the 23rd Century when it's brand new, so it's some 70 years before that episode. ;) I briefly considered doing small (and far less detailed) models of all 3 Victories when starting this, but I settled on the framed paintings as they're more era appropriate, at least from the few interiors we saw from the 2390's.

I've been working on the ceiling, and was looking to avoid the main lighting coming from the same standard extruded inset that I've used in other sets of the era such as the Fontana Station ready room and the Victory CMO's office.

I came across this large ceiling fixture from Voyager's 'In the Flesh' when looking for references on the Starfleet Command logo, and I wanted to do something similar for the center of this room. However I also wanted to incorporate some vertical panels, like on the officer's mess fixture from TUC. After several tests I wasn't happy with, @Donny gave me an idea and I ended up mixing the two concepts, creating a light fixture inspired on the one from Voyager, but with an added verticality to it which I think makes the shape more interesting.

Also, I noticed the main screen was placed rather low before, making visibility less than ideal; so I've raised it and changed the paneling around accordingly. I've also added the proper graphics for it, and a potted plant besides it.

tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1633344495
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1633344507
    LeoBerlinDoctorShmullusWarp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralCaptain SerekashleytingerRory1707Lizzy777caveat_imperator
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • DoctorShmullusDoctorShmullus54 Posts: 37Member
    This room is coming together nicely, I really enjoy that ceiling light. Just a suggestion, I think it would look better if the “strip” under the main screen was altered to look more like what you used on the biobeds in the Victory Sickbay, make it look less like a viewscreen.
    Rekkert
    I got caught up in the situation that I forgot this was the 23rd century version. It’s coming along nicely and I dig the light fixture! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I really love that ceiling light fixture… it has a very “Dr. Strangelove” war room look to it.
    Rekkert
    @DoctorShmullus: Thanks! Haha, I thought the same thing about incorporating those little biobed displays below the viewscreen, but I'm waiting until after doing the table to see if I'll go through with that or not, depending on how I incorporate any computer interfaces into said table.

@Rory1707: Haha, no problem mate, thanks!

@BolianAdmiral: Yeah the low fixture really adds gravitas to the room, IMO.

I've ended up changing all 3 of the "paintings" on the wall, as I found images I liked more and which let me show all 3 ships from more or less the same angle. The Conqueror-Class render is by @Helot and the Constellation-Class one by @mavek. Once I knew these 3 were the final pics, I edited them using Gimp so that the white levels match, not to mention removing background objects and tweaking them all a bit. I've also further refined the sconce above the images, to make it more accurate to the real prop.

Also, I decided to remove the other light sconces which were flanking the door and redo the wall paneling there, inspired on this little bit of corridor we saw on the Enterprise-B, as I think it adds a more interesting texture and breaks up the monotony of the walls.

tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1633480958
    tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg?1633480971
    Rory1707Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralmavekDoctorShmullusCaptain SerekTenaciousMCLizzy777caveat_imperator
  • Captain SerekCaptain Serek419 Burbank CaliforniaPosts: 90Member
    Nice update.
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    That's a really nice touch.
    Rekkert
    @Captain Serek: Thanks!

@ashleytinger: I'm sorry, what is a nice touch? :lol:

After fighting it for a while, I'm finally done with the table. Turns out it's quite difficult to make a slab of grey look somewhat interesting... I based the lines somewhat on the table on the TUC enlisted quarters, but given the weird shape no central display looked good, so I just added a small raised section at the center, and placed little keypads angled towards the seats right next to it. I got the idea for the angled keypads after noticing Kirk has one in his quarters. These are rotated 90º and smaller, but it's the same idea. These are placed in between two chairs, rather than having individual ones for each position. This is simply because otherwise it would look too busy, plus it was the same way it was done on the TNG lounge table until the final seasons.

As for the computer terminal at the side of the table, I did a new unit that sits a bit higher and more angled than before. I continued the inset lines I had going on the table on the computer, to better merge the two somewhat. Finally, I added a small padded palm rest similar to those on the bridges of the era below the computer keyboard area, so that it's at least a little ergonomic to use. :P

Given that I didn't add a central display on the table, I went ahead and changed the little blinkies below the viewscreen to a bunch of buttons; and I also added a little bench on the empty corner of the room. I needed to add something there, and a couple of Workseat chairs didn't look good haha. I think the bench works both as a homage of the TOS briefing room with its extra chairs and as a nod to the Enterprise-B bridge with its little side benches on the central pit:
    tadeo-d-oria-rect861.jpg?1633560143

So, I think the room's finished now! I'll do a couple final checks on the materials and will start doing the final renders and cutaway.

tadeo-d-oria-c11-01.jpg?1633559071
    tadeo-d-oria-c12-01.jpg?1633559085
    tadeo-d-oria-c13-01.jpg?1633559097
    Rory1707DoctorShmullusCaptain SerekLizzy777caveat_imperator
    Awesome job as usual my friend! 🖖🏾
    This is in reply to something in another forum, but as I'm asking for feedback it makes sense to post it here as well: regarding the tabletop surface I did try pretty much everything, but the boring grey won out IMO. There's not enough light or colorful stuff around to make a reflective plexi or glass interesting. I tried adding a light at the center, and I even did a hole in the middle like the Starfleet Headquarters table hahaha.

Still, I'm not convinced by it myself, here are the 3 takes I liked the most, with either wood, fabric, or the grey paneling. I like how everything matches with the fabric version, but maybe it's too much of the same color, plus doesn't make much sense for a tabletop to be made of fabric. What do you all think?
    tadeo-d-oria-c14-wood.jpg?1633565874
    tadeo-d-oria-c14-fabric.jpg?1633565847
    tadeo-d-oria-c14-panel.jpg?1633565860
    Rory1707wolfmanCaptain SerekLizzy777srspicer
    @Rekkert I really like the grey paneling out of the other two. All are good, but IMO, the grey is working best here. 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I think the blue panel looks best. The wood just looks a bit out of place, and the gray makes it too bland. Just my two cents.
    Rekkert
    edited October 2021 #3346
    I think the blue fabric texture fits best in the room, but what is throwing me off is that the tabletop surface is raised. I wonder if it would look better if it was lower than the rest of the table surface?
    Post edited by DoctorShmullus on
    Rekkert
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I meant the Ent-B corridor paneling ;)

I like either the blue or gray out of the three tables.
    @DoctorShmullus: Had already tried that before, doesn't look good and it's less functional IMO.

I tried a few more materials and designs, even went back to the hole in the middle of the table, yet I think I'll keep the simple raised grey surface. Still, now I know why it looked so empty, I hadn't added any small props on top! So, inspired by both the TOS briefing room and those little thermal cups they used on the Enterprise-A in ST:V and ST:VI, I give you my solution to most things: coffee!

Still, this gave me another problem, there seems to be a bug in Blender with the anisotropic setting on the material I'm using on the cups here, I can't get it to render properly when the camera is further away from the cups, it ends up looking very pixelated and I can't figure out why. Worst thing is that I've used this material before (for the similar cups on the Appalachia mess hall) without issue. Unfortunately right now I can't waste time trying to solve it, I've got to move on to commissions and such. Besides I wrote down a couple more props I want to model for the room, so that's another day I have to dedicate to it haha.

I'll keep working on in on the background, and testing the new Blender 3.0 beta to see if that fixes this issue, but for the time being, I'm moving onto other projects. I'm sure I'll go back to it sooner rather than later though.

tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1633603223
    ashleytingerDoctorShmullusBolianAdmiralCaptain SerekRory1707Lizzy777caveat_imperator
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Such great work! B)
    Rekkert
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    The first one is a nice contrast against the chairs, the third one works well as well. I think the second one though, the table and the chairs clash to me.
    Rekkert
    Looks great per usual;.
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
    edited October 2021 #3352
    While I've advanced on two commissions today, I couldn't let this go so I did the remaining items I wanted for the briefing room, because of course I did. First, is a new set of display lights for the framed pictures on the wall, as the previous ones looked rather cheap (they were cheap 90's sconces after all) and didn't fit in with the style I was going for.

Secondly, another set of props for the table: a clipboard with an engineering report and a pen (?) that goes along with it. Of course this was inspired by the infamous Enterprise-A schematic Scotty is reviewing on TUC, while the clipboard is also inspired (but not a copy of) one that Uhura uses in the same movie. The text is mostly just a Lorem Ipsum, I began writing a proper report but I was wasting too much time and it's not like it'll be readable anyway. Also, I made the paper size A4 instead of US letter, just because I can.

As for the anisotropy bug on the cups, the Blender 3.0 beta does apparently fix it, so I'll probably be rendering the final the final images on that version of the software; which is insanely fast by the way, renders are done in less than half the time they were before. On the 2.93 version a high quality 1080p 1500 samples render takes 7 to 8 minutes on average; on 3.0 it takes 2 to 3 minutes. Crazy fast for a fully ray-traced interior image.

tadeo-d-oria-c7-02.jpg?1633752821
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1633754470
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    DoctorShmullusraztovashleytingerCaptain SerekRory1707Lizzy777caveat_imperator
    Excellent update.
    Rekkert
    Nice! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
    Here are the finished renders for the briefing room, given the faster render times I couldn't not do these hahaha. The whole batch took less than 40 minutes even at a higher sample rate than usual, so yay for Blender 3.0!

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1633774283
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1633774290
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1633774296
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1633774302
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1633774308
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1633774314
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1633774319
    tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg?1633774326
    tadeo-d-oria-c9-01.jpg?1633774331
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-victory-briefing-room-cutaway.jpg?1633826454
    ashleytingerRory1707BolianAdmiralDoctorShmulluslennier1Lizzy777Captain SerekJMP11caveat_imperatormavekand 2 others.
    Absolutely beautiful my friend! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    That looks awesome.
    Rekkert
    Great work as always!
    Rekkert
    Excelllent work as usual.
    Rekkert
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Really liked that new civilian ship SS Gavia. Wouldn't take much effort to see it as a ship hastily brought out of mothballs to serve during the Dominion War.
    Rekkert
    Glad you all liked how the briefing room turned out!

@lennier1: Hehe, you got ahead of me there with the Gavia post. Indeed I think with some more tweaks that style could certainly work for Starfleet reserves from DS9 like the Jupp or the Antares.

I mentioned a few times a commission I had finished last month but was still awaiting payment, and I finally got paid lol, so here it is, the civilian SS Gavia bridge. An old Remora-Class ship that was out of service for decades, the ship was quickly and cheaply repaired by civilians in the 2360's and relaunched as a freighter.

This was a cool commission to work on, as it's very much a ship well past its prime. The walls and floors are damaged and dirty, some lights don't work, the chairs don't match, the air isn't filtered properly... a lot of cool little touches I don't usually get to do on pristine Starfleet vessels, though still showcasing a fairly standard late 23rd Century starship bridge underneath all that.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1633692796
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1633692802
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1633692807
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1633692812
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1633692818
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1633692823
    tadeo-d-oria-ss-gavia-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1634411598
    Rory1707BolianAdmiraldarkthunderashleytingerLizzy777DoctorShmullus