Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWPL WIP Thread

13»

• StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Great work all around!
    Warp Propulsion Laboratory
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    Lit windows really makes it come together, looking forward to seeing the hull and textures get that final polish!
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Outstanding.
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    I know I’m late, but beautiful ship. The Sovereign-class is my favorite starship! Great job! 🖖🏾
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Thank you all for the encouragement! :)
    johnl2112 wrote: »
    I really like this. Any thought to rendering the glass, or would that just kill performance too hard? When I eventually do this, I am thinking of varying the light color temperature and brightness subtly to make the lighting less perfectly uniform.

There is actually a glass material over the windows, but it's difficult to see it when the rooms are lit. It is set to "Thin Walled" so there is no refraction. This keeps the interiors from distorting and speeds up render times. Varying color and brightness sounds like a cool way to add visual interest and realism. :)

Since creating the textures for the Sovereign is a real bear and not too much fun to watch I'm starting another simultaneous project for my videos. This will be the Federation Class dreadnought (no way am I abandoning the Sovvy; I put too much work into it and I really want to see it complete).

Starting the saucer:

u893sgwgtpyi.jpg

I imported the nacelles from my TOS Enterprise build.

LoopholeLizzy777
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    I hope you retcon the dreadnought design a little bit, I _hate_ that the top and bottom of hte saucer are mirrored in profile, the design works so much better with a Connie-Classic saucer profile :)
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    count23 wrote: »
    I hope you retcon the dreadnought design a little bit, I _hate_ that the top and bottom of hte saucer are mirrored in profile, the design works so much better with a Connie-Classic saucer profile :)

I agree that the Connie saucer is a nicer design, but for the most part I want to be true to the plans, and I added some details to the lower saucer to help break up the symmetry a bit. :)

Meanwhile I made an animation test for my TOS Enterprise's nacelles:

Lizzy777srspicer

Formerly furswift
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    The flashing is perhaps a bit too strong. But otherwise OK.
    Make everything a bit softer. 😎
    Pretty much done with the dreadnought. I'll get back to the Sovereign soon, but I have another non-CG project that needs my full attention.

5cxotw4kcrv6.jpg

9icxlkb5w2a8.jpg

hkj9vnc0dopc.jpg

0ia43ofeydl5.jpg

e2wqb1tjf6g6.jpg

fps4vk8brts8.jpg

Self-illuminated:

eylnnybafem4.jpg

LoopholelewisnivenashleytingerwolfmanMcCLizzy777srspicerRekkertRory1707caveat_imperator

Formerly furswift
    I created a flyby test for my TOS Enterprise. Please let me know what you think!

xiaorobearrojrenLoopholeRory1707scifiericLizzy777

Formerly furswift
    Test animation for my TOS Romulan Bird of Prey model:

Loophole

Formerly furswift
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Nice
    I created an Earth model and it gave me the idea to create a render with the Enterprise with more realistic lighting conditions. Let me know what you think!

dbszxnjn4jax.png
    Lizzy777Rory1707Rekkertcaveat_imperator

Formerly furswift
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    Looks good to me! 👍
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Love it. Great update! 🖖🏾
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited November 2021 #77
    I can see my house from here! :p

In all seriousness, maybe it's that we're used to ships being lit a certain way that isn't realistic, but to me the lighting seems off, too bright; like a physical model lit by an overblown studio light that doesn't gel well with the background added in post. Again, maybe it's realistic, but to me it just looks weird somehow. :)
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    Rekkert wrote: »

In all seriousness, maybe it's that we're used to ships being lit a certain way that isn't realistic, but to me the lighting seems off, too bright; like a physical model lit by an overblown studio light that doesn't gel well with the background added in post. Again, maybe it's realistic, but to me it just looks weird somehow. :)

I know what you mean. It's like seeing photos of the space shuttle or ISS when either were in direct sunlight. The giant ball of incandescent plasma lighting up objects in space without atmospheric distortion or diffusion.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Thanks, everyone!
    Rekkert wrote: »

Yeah I agree it looks pretty weird. I think we're used to seeing less contrast between the directly lit and ambient lit surfaces of ships. The only ambient lighting in this scene are from the sunlight bouncing off the hull and some "Earthshine". For me the most startling difference is the lack of stars.

Formerly furswift
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    edited November 2021 #80
    I created an Earth model and it gave me the idea to create a render with the Enterprise with more realistic lighting conditions. Let me know what you think!

dbszxnjn4jax.png

The sun is an extremely bright, extremely harsh light. We don’t notice it as much because the atmosphere gives us a big blue area light to soften the shadows at ground level.

Whoops, quoted the wrong post. I was responding to the one about the lighting being harsh
    Post edited by johnl2112 on
  • WideFootWideFoot83 Posts: 81Member
    To add, it is likely that the lightling here isn't harsh enough. Shadows are very total with no atmosphere to muck up photo paths.
    I've created an animation test of my TMP drydock. Let me know what you think!

Rory1707Rekkertcaveat_imperatoreagledocf15

Formerly furswift
    Awesome! I want more! 🖖🏾