Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationEnteprise Firing WIP

ProviFXProviFX161 Posts: 78Member
edited July 2021 in Work in Progress #1
A wip of one of the sequences of a full lenght animation I've been working for a while. Just finished doing the torpedo effects. Done in LW 2019. Torpedo is just a point light with basically lens flares coming out of the center, then color graded and edited in post.

Model by Alex Klemm.

80bl0l1z0u5a.png
Post edited by Guerrilla on
Lizzy777

• count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    looks good, the only bit missing however (and this is common on fan re-creations), there is always a white flash from the torpedo launcher before torpedoes fire in the (at least) 90s trek series. I think if you add that in you'll have nailed it .

what is your torpedo FX element? a sprite? combination of lens flares?
    ProviFX
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • ProviFXProviFX161 Posts: 78Member
    count23 wrote: »
    looks good, the only bit missing however (and this is common on fan re-creations), there is always a white flash from the torpedo launcher before torpedoes fire in the (at least) 90s trek series. I think if you add that in you'll have nailed it .

what is your torpedo FX element? a sprite? combination of lens flares?

Thanks for the tip! I'll look for clips to see what it looks like and try to mimic it. The torpedo is a point light in LW, with random streaks coming out of it (a feature of the lens flare effect in LW). The streaks change rotation based on movement of the light.

The rest of the look of the torpedo was done in video post, mostly color grading, and adding a glow which helped bring it up more. It's still not a true rendition to the torpedo, as I noticed the flare streaks looked sharper and had a different behaviour in generations (the movie), but they seem to vary between shows, so I decided to go with something that's similar at least.
    edited July 2021 #4
    Added more torpedos, gradient and firing flashes. Let me know if the screen brightness of the flash (not the torpedo itself) is too bright. I think it is, but not sure.

Post edited by ProviFX on
    Lizzy777
    edited July 2021 #5
    Yea, it is a little too bright.

The white flash i was referring to was actually a muzzle flash itself as well, i think that needs to be added:

It changes to white in the CG era, but all the 90s trek ships had a muzzle flash as part of thier torpedo launch, i think even TSFS did as well.
    Post edited by count23 on
    ProviFX
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Yea, it is a little too bright.

The white flash i was referring to was actually a muzzle flash itself as well, i think that needs to be added:

It changes to white in the CG era, but all the 90s trek ships had a muzzle flash as part of thier torpedo launch, i think even TSFS did as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll tone it down. I looked at the video, and I think you're refering to the anamorphic flare happening in parts like 2:41 and 0:55 etc. If that's the effect it's very cool. I'll do another update with it added on.
    publiusr
    edited July 2021 #7
    So, I thought to an approach for this effect. I tried adding keyframes to the curves in the graph editor in LW, but just didn't work for me.

So, I'll add a lens flare light source at the torpedo tube, which will be keyframed to flash for a second or less before the photon(s) fires. By keyframing the flare intensity in the light properties for each light (torpedo) that leaves the tubes, I'll be able to have more control over the look and behaviour of it.

I was just overcomplicating it with the curves method before. This will work faster and better.
    Post edited by ProviFX on
    Count, let me know what you think:

In comparison with the tv version, mine seems to be a bit too sharp, but I can blur it a bit in post. Thanks for the heads up, I'd have completely missed it otherwise. It does make the firing effects a lot better!
    Lizzy777
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    I like the last one. Looking forward for the final render.
    ProviFX
    The muzzle flash makes it soooo much better now, very nicely done.

I think maybe lower the intensity or the size of the flash a bit, but as you said, you can handle that in post.

I believe i have the TNG era photon torpedo SFX in a few forms if you'd like a more "TNG/Voyager" canon SFX clip.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15C2zMHDIkfZuR_vZLgcDbqFAMRO8C8Ja/view?usp=sharing
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    The muzzle flash makes it soooo much better now, very nicely done.

I think maybe lower the intensity or the size of the flash a bit, but as you said, you can handle that in post.

I believe i have the TNG era photon torpedo SFX in a few forms if you'd like a more "TNG/Voyager" canon SFX clip.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15C2zMHDIkfZuR_vZLgcDbqFAMRO8C8Ja/view?usp=sharing

Thanks man, and thanks for the audio clips! I just downloaded them. I should make a thread about this whole animation since this sequence it's only one of many.
    nightfever wrote: »
    I like the last one. Looking forward for the final render.

Awesome!
    publiusr