Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DOberth Class

ViperViper1679 Posts: 717Administrator
edited July 2021 in Work in Progress #1
Another day, another TMP era ship. Been working on this for the past couple of weeks. Had been on a bit of a slump, but I found recently that I always enjoy the beginning of projects so figured I'd start a new one. Hopefully this makes me go back to some of the others that I have in progress as well.

oberth51.jpg
Post edited by Viper on
RekkertraztovBolianAdmiralscifiericsrspicerRedeyesFreakwolfman
Tagged:

• ViperViper1679 Posts: 717Administrator
    Main shapes are all mostly done. Might need some refinement before I start detailing. Having fun with the greebles at the moment :)

oberth33.jpg
    oberth32.jpg
    oberth34.jpg
    RekkertashleytingerMcCProviFXLizzy777BolianAdmiralscifiericjapetusFreakwolfmanand 2 others.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    That's a nice start. I like the details already. 👌
    One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm trying to build this in a scale that works with my other models so I had to do some compromises. The original ILM size chart sets it out to be 120m. But that's just stupidly small making the ship basically unusable. Some articles talk about 150m, but that still makes the saucer internal volume too small. EAS suggests 220m as a good way to make everything fit and I tried that but it made the ship way too big when compared to the USS Enterprise. So, after some tinkering, I went with 180m as the length. It makes the ship a bit larger, but still much smaller than the Constitution. It also means I was able to use the same window sizes as I did on my other ships and still have it look good. Plus, the 3 saucer doors can now work as a small shuttle bays, fitting a full shuttle in the door with room to spare.

oberth51.jpg
    oberth50.jpg
    oberth52.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777seanrBridgerraztovBolianAdmiralMcCMustang13Camaro68rojrenRekkertand 7 others.
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    I've always liked this design, and of course you're doing it justice as usual. :)
    scifiericViper
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    I love the physicality your renders have..
    scifiericViper
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Your renderings always looks like a photo Diogo. B)
    scifiericViper
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This is outstanding work! Love how it looks.
    Viper
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Just beautiful.
    Viper
    Thanks all for the comments!

Been a bit busy the past few days. Some progress today though. Got the nacelle lines cut. Also built some doors for the shuttle bay :)

oberth58.jpg
    oberth59.jpg
    oberth60.jpg
    oberth61.jpg
    BolianAdmiralRedeyesashleytingerMcCRekkertLizzy777raztovsrspicerBrandenbergwibble
    nice..... can i be an absolute pain and ask what technique you use to cut your lines?
    Viper
    markmassey wrote: »
    nice..... can i be an absolute pain and ask what technique you use to cut your lines?

It varies depending on what the lines I'm cutting look like and what the topology of the piece is as well. Since this was mostly straight lines, I just cut everything by hand. If I had more curved lines I might go with a boolean, but if there's a lot, then I would use shrinkwrap to build some new topology.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Awesome, and love the greebly thing on top!
    Viper
    Viper wrote: »
    markmassey wrote: »

It varies depending on what the lines I'm cutting look like and what the topology of the piece is as well. Since this was mostly straight lines, I just cut everything by hand. If I had more curved lines I might go with a boolean, but if there's a lot, then I would use shrinkwrap to build some new topology.

Thanks man.... Paneling detail is one of the banes of my modeling life.... i just like to know how other molders tackle them :)
    Viper
    Whelp, this thing is done:
    oberth139.jpg
    oberth138.jpg
    oberth134.jpg
    MadKoiFishrojrenMartocticvsjapetuslennier1Ael'sStarCruiserBolianAdmiralLizzy777xiaorobearand 10 others.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Turned out awesome!!
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    japetus wrote: »
    Turned out awesome!!

It sure did!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I’d love to see this, Jayrus, the STO, and the lovely ‘09 inspired one a few months back all together in an evolution chart in finished works if possible…with any TOS versions as the start.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice . Very detailed.